Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fog Light Crack-Preventative Tip

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Exclamation Fog Light Crack-Preventative Tip

I was going through my emails and found this one from a while back. Figured i'd post it for you guys.

Anyway, its from LeeRandall who thought up the fix, so the credit goes to him. I haven't tried it yet because i need to get both my fogs replaced under warranty cuz they have started leaking condensation but i'll probably do this fix after they get replaced cuz i've only got 5 months left in my warranty

The "fog-fix" I came up with has worked beautifully, so far. I have not had any discoloration, no light-beam distortion, no water/condensation entry problems, no cracks, ... NOTHIN'. And ... I keep them on ALL the time with my full-time running-lights (get a 5% insurance discount with USAA for full-time). OH, by the way, since the "Malibu cover" extends away from the glass OE driving light lens, ... the light fits "tight" against the backside of the airdam and eliminates any vibration that may contribute to "bracket breakage"! An added plus!!
    Just for "good measure", when I put the "Malibu covers" on, I put a very thin bead of Lexol brand (perfectly clear) sealer (NOT clear silicone) around the plastic cover.
    Let me know if ya' need any help ... it is a really 1st-class fix! But remember! ... the Malibus are floods ... not spots like on our trucks! Sooohh, there is some (not enough to be noticeable when driving) light diffusion. It's fine for me though! I'm not one to be "into" HID ... nor do I drive on European-type roads that would benefit from HID!!
    cheap enough insurance for me to try out. 15 bucks for some light covers...or 400 for a set of new fogs....easy choice for me

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    oops....forgot the 1st part to that message....here it is

I found a solution though! "Stick-em stuff" like StonGard (or any equivalent) will NOT work because it gets brown from the heat and looks really bad. I have also heard of them cracking even after such installation. The solution I found is to go to Home Depot and by a pair of Malibu Lighting low-voltage halogen house/landscaping plastic flood lights (part # ML25HP2) for $14.95 a pair. They have the same 4.5" diameter lens as the driving light. Take a "blade" and carefully slice/seperate the lens from the "sealed beam" and carefully pry the lens off the rest of the flood. It will snap on right over the glass lens of the driving light. Since the flood lens is convex, it provides about 3/8" of "dead air" insulation from the glass so it will not melt or discolor. Since it is a "flood", it diffuses the light a little but not noticeable (unless you are an HID purest) during driving.

House Man
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WARNING:

Like lee said, I used the stick on stuff after my 1st cracked lense and about a week later the plastic which was once flexible and plyible was extremly hard and brittle. During another road trip to Miami I got another cracked lense which i think was because of the stick stuff. The first time I was able to see were a rock came up and crack the lense. The 2nd time w/ the 3m stuff all I saw was a crack in the lense and a bunch of melted 3m crap around it.. I think the 3m stuff got so hot it melted and did something to the lense.

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks to caymen150, Josh and Lee.
    I picked up a set at Home Depot today, 2 for less than $10. They use really bad glue to hold the lens on the reflecter, took less than 5 minutes to seperate them.
    except for the fact that its a fluited lens it fits over the stock HD light perfect.
    One more thing, I was test fitting it on the broken light I just replaced, I got all the broken glass out of the old housing and found this is a perfect fit in the housing too, you can also replace the lens with these if you need to.
    Good find guys!

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    how bout some pix HarleyGuy!!

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I cant do pics but Ill take it to our next GTG, Im sure someone can do it.
    I havent put them on yet so a pic on a light not on the truck should give you a better look.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice,

Thanks

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    www.ftwtrucks.com/harley356
    there's some pics in there in one of my albums. i think the album that has pics of the HD bra also has pics of the fog covers lenses

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    protective Home Depot lens next to oem light
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    side view of lens

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    lens over oem fog light assembly