Thread: thinking about switching to sniper, anyone using it here?

2003 H/D #6809
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thinking about switching to sniper, anyone using it here?

Been doing some research, and I think the Sniper programmer would be the best choice for me. I will be living at 8000ft, and driving occasionally down around 4000ft. Being able to go in and reprogram on my own is the biggest seller. The software seems so easy to use. Is anyone currently using Sniper on here? Keep in mind that I have never tuned anything before and I would really like to learn how to factor all the a/f trims and such on my own. I'm currently using the predator, no problems with it, but without a professional tuner and dyno I'm afraid to mess with any of the settings.

Looking for inputs here, and Ryan I sent you a pm earlier.

Brad
    2009 G8 GT<--FOR SALE or TRADE for 03 HD
    Vararam|axle backs, H pipe, mids/res delete|pedders coil overs|cortex|DDM 8k HIDs|20% tint|vortex fins|hidden hitch|spohn trailing arms|BMR full bushing kit
    GXP Mods:
    front bumper|diffuser
    SSv Mods:
    SSv badges
    Camaro Mods:
    20" MS rims|SS Brembo's

2007 ZX-14<-------FOR SALE
    16/41|pc3|dual leo vince|asv levers|lowered|DDM 6k HIDs|puig|sliders|ostrich skin

SOLD-----2003 HD #6809-----SOLD

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bradshow, I just recently purchased the Sniper Special Forces Tuner for my HD F250. I too had never programmed anythings and the fact that I can change the tune to my liking, makes it very worthwhile. Another aspect that I like is that when I got my mustang, they sent me software so that I could custom tune both without having to buy another programmer!

2003 Shamu Screw
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have the Sniper S/F & Commando suites. I have no tuning experience whatsoever and have only made and loaded one tune into my to truck to cover the CAI, 2lb upper & 6lb lower mods. It works great for me..

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got the Sniper Special Forces Tuner for Xmas. I don't have a tuner that is close enough to go to frequently for changes so Sniper was a great option. I can write a tune and tweak over the course of several days depending upon how I drive versus how the truck runs during the hour or two on the dyno.

This is not to say it is any better than a professional tuner writing a tune for you, but since I don't have anyone to go to that is close and cost effective Sniper is a great alternative.

Ryan at Rynotune is the man to see for Sniper equipment. My wife got me the Sniper for Xmas and I have no idea where she got it, but there is noway she got as good a deal as Ryan quoted me when I was checking prices.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i have thought about this in the past as well.... the ability to tune multiple vehicles is appealing as well...

plus if all else fails you can datalog and have ryan email you a tune.

still a consideration for me...

Drivetrain Calibration
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the kind words guys, I really do appreciate it!

Brad, I replied to your PM. Throw me some info and I'll be sure to reply with some solutions that should work.

Ryan

2003 H/D #6809
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I guess my biggest question would be, what is the difference between the special forces and commando tuning software?

It looks as if commando just allows for more "fine tuning" and at what point would I really need to upgrade my MAF?

Drivetrain Calibration
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradshow View Post
    I guess my biggest question would be, what is the difference between the special forces and commando tuning software?

It looks as if commando just allows for more "fine tuning" and at what point would I really need to upgrade my MAF?
    Brad,

The question in your PM looked similar to the question you asked here so for the most part I'm gonna briefly talk about it here, just so it's out and in the open. Let me know if I miss anything.

Special Forces is what I call an entry level tune it yourself program. It's fine for the pulley stockblock trucks. It allows tailoring of timing in fuel curves in three sections, respectively high, medium, and low. It allows you to adjust for different injectors, mass air meters, exhausts, and aspiration. Special Forces is going to be a step up from the abilities of your current Predator as far as tuning modfications, but it won't be as upper end as the full blown editor software which Commando is. Here's a screenshot of SF.

Commando, also includes SF, however it's the real deal table editor. You can modify your timing in 64 cell tables, table by table, you can edit all of the normalizers, and you have access to a full 30 point MAF function to complete accuracy of the fuel curve. It gives you access to every scalar in the Ford code, less the odometer. Metaphorically speaking, if you were asked to color a picture, Special Forces would be the basic 6 pack of crayons, and Commando would be the huge 64 color box we all dreamed about as kids. Commando takes a bit of practice and research, but is worth it's weight in gold.

The going rate on Commando is 700 dollars shipped (699.99) and about half that for Special Forces.

Hopefully that covers it...
    Ryan

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ryan, when are they planning on adding more options for the 6.0L Diesel engines?

2003 H/D #6809
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok, say I get the SF package, then later on I want to upgrade to commando, it is just a software upgrade correct?

Thanks for the help Ryan.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I bought the sniper special forces about two months ago and went to the dyno shop to have it tuned and plugged it in and got a light show from the interface and would not do anything else. I have not had the time or courage to try it again yet because the instructions tell you not to unplug while lights are on but they never go off. I am thinking of selling it and sticking with my predator. Nobody around me has heard of the sniper so i cant get much help with it.

Stock Block 11.424@119.87
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ?

Drivetrain Calibration
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffnReady View Post
    Ryan, when are they planning on adding more options for the 6.0L Diesel engines?
    I don't know to be honest, however I personally would be surprised if they did. Diesels tune a bit different. The tranny controls are in an entirely different computer than the motor so it's tough to say.

Ok, say I get the SF package, then later on I want to upgrade to commando, it is just a software upgrade correct?

Thanks for the help Ryan.
    It is, however you end up spending a bit more. The upgrade alone is 400 dollars.

I bought the sniper special forces about two months ago and went to the dyno shop to have it tuned and plugged it in and got a light show from the interface and would not do anything else. I have not had the time or courage to try it again yet because the instructions tell you not to unplug while lights are on but they never go off. I am thinking of selling it and sticking with my predator. Nobody around me has heard of the sniper so i cant get much help with it.
    Have you tried calling them? I know they received some cables that had a pin missing which could certainly cause your problem. Call or email, they also have a support forum at Sniper Tuning Forums - Index page

Ryan

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am going tto give it one more try when it warms up here and if I have any problems i wil call them

Matt