Thread: Electrical question

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Electrical question

Basis for the question:My daughter bought me a iPod adapter(plugs into the power port/transmits to FM)that I use in my '97.Plugged into the lighter OR the power port,the display stays on all the time.

Now the question:Why dont it shut down after a certain amount of time?I remember reading in some alarm threads where the power to the truck is automatically shut down.Is it just a few accessories that shut down?Or is this just a feature on newer trucks?

Thanks guys,,,this has bugged the shyt out of me for a few days.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the pwr ports should be 12v constant...key on/key off does not effect them, at least on the 02 and prior they dont.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    if you wanted to set it up so it does shut off with the truck, since the cig plug stays active the whole time, you could tap into a switched 12v source and either hardwire the adaptor to that switched 12v source, or run it to the cig plug and cutoff and tape off the constant 12 v line and hook up the switched one. would be nice if one cig plug stayed hot and the other shut off. one staying hot is nice for things like cell chargers, and one on the key is nicer for devices like you're using or radars.

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Yeah, when i used to have one of those ports in my 03, I would have to take it out of the cig lighter or it would constantly charge. I dont know if you have the ability with whatever deck you have, but if you can get the ipod plugged directly into the headunit, it will sound 1 million times better.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Right,I understand the key on/off thing.But,,say you leave the hood up.After a certain time period(on the Harley,anyway),the hood light goes off.I understood it,that the power was interrupted after(I was thinking 50min)awhile.Maybe I read the alarm thread wrong.Ill see if I can find that thread.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the gem controls it and its after 45 min

the cig lighters are constant 12v...and not controlled by the GEM

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    THATS what I was looking for,,,thanks Stew.I knew it couldnt shut down the whole truck(radio presets,etc),,but I figured it would do,,things like the lighter and pwr port.Thanks again.