Thread: thoughts/experiences with Pioneer Z1

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thoughts/experiences with Pioneer Z1

I recently put a Z1 in my truck. To tell the truth, I'm disappointed. I've discovered that it has a faulty rear-camera input (common problem among these apparently) and it does not have a feature for video select (watch DVD while listening to other source, iPod, Library, radio, etc).

What are everybody elses thoughts on these? I'm actually thinking of selling it and buying something else. I've always had good luck with Alpine (I've had IVA-W200, IVA-W205, IVA-D300, and IVA-D900 - all with good experiences).

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm considering switching to the AvicZ2 myself, from my Kenwood DNX7100.
    The Kenwood is nice, because of the Garmin nav built in, but it has some functionality issues as compared to the audio operation in the Pioneers.

My store sells a LOT of the Z2, and the Z1's when they were around, and I can't say we've ever had a problem with the rearview camera or any aspect of it. The AVICZ2X actually comes with the camera and the bluetooth module in the box for the same price as the Z2 sold for.

I think if you swapped for the Alpine you'd be unhappy.
    A coworker has the IVAW205 and had to buy several other components to work with an existing system, the deck sounded pretty lousy out of the box, so he had to buy a PXAH701 processor...which made improvements, then in order to retain his nav functions he'll either wait for the PND200 Blackbird (which was supposed to be out before Christmas) or pony up $1600 for the DVD powernav from Alpine. The Ipod interface is a lot slower than the Z-series Pioneer and he says that the touch-back feature of the Alpine is bothersome.

Just an opinion.

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i love the ivaw200 and ivaw205

it all comes down to personal preference. The alpine in my opinion is the best day to day, but when it comes to nav i think it falls far behind. The alpine nav with the Blackbird 100 and 200 hasnt really caught up. They are slow un predictable and often faulty. While the pionneers are much better as far as nav.

Now with that said, everything else about Pioneer I simply do not like. I dont like the touchscreen and how there is no pulsetouch like the alpine. The alpine is also MUCH more sensative without being over sensative.

The pioneers have also had a HUGE grounding problem over thier entire line for quite sometime now.

Downside to the alpines. As stated above, everything is an add on. You have to add on a camera, you have to add on nav, you have to add on a processor and so on and so on.

But to me those things are luxurys. i wanted a radio that was easy to use going down the road and the Alpine in that respect to me takes the cake...so all i can say is play with the different ones for a while and as always if something isnt working for you, try something different everyone has thier likes and dislikes when it comes to their h/u.

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well I don't have to play with them as I have had both. The Z1 now and the W205 and W200 in the F150 I had. Right now, it is a toss up. The pioneer DOES NOT have a video select feature to watch DVD while listening to the radio or other source. The nav is nice though.

The Blackbird is out. No more waiting. The W205 and the Blackbird run about as much as one of the Z2s...From experience the iPOD on the Alpine was WAY WAY WAY better. I cannot agree with saying the Pioneer is better (at least on the Z1). The bluetooth was way better on the Alpine too. The Pioneer has really bad echoing problems. You have turn down the volume so the person on the other end doesn't get upset and then you can't hear them.

As for sound quality, I'm tone deaf to start with. I don't need an orchestra hall or anything...really not a downside IMO.

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Ive only owned Alpines and have plenty of friends with the Pioneer and I have to say other than the pricey add on costs for the Alpine (nav...etc), the Alpine wins hands down in every other aspect for me. Very easy to use, sounds great, looks better imo...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm just going by what I see what the mobile customers pick up, comment on and/or what's selling. With the Kenwood DNX7100, AVICZ2, AVICD3 and Alpine 205 on the wall our guys end up selling the Kenwood or the Z2 more. The Z2 and D3 have both picked up even more now that they come with the extra goodies in the box.

I'm curious about the grounding problem, I've never had an issue and I've had the AVIC-N1 and more recently an N2 in the dash for years and the only issue there was the flex-cable for the flip out monitor. I never had an echo issue with the Bluetooth either.

The double-DIN stuff has been pretty reliable. The customers we serve are the type that would normally complain about an item that didn't work (regardless of manufacturer). In 10 minutes of fooling here at work in the computer I can't see where we've had to check out or send a Z or D-series Pioneer to service in the last 7 months, and we've sold a bunch. Not discrediting what you're saying, just experience here on the salesfloor and what I'm seeing in our service system.

The only real problem I have with the Alpine is that the monitor sticks out further from the dash opening than any other product we sell. It's a good half-inch further out than the Kenwood, same for the Z3 and the AVICD3 sits flush with the cutout. Most people want something to integrate fully, not look like an add-on. My installer will always do his best to make the Alpine recessed to look just right, but we've had a number of people complain about that facet alone. A guy with a Cervinis Eleanor-clone mustang just flipped over to the Z3 on that point alone.

That being said, the reasons I would go with the Z3 over the Alpine. Keep in mind I have a Kenwood DNX7100 now.
    -Built-in NAV that works without a docking station and is WAY more detailed.
    -10gig MP3 storage with free Gracenote labeling built-in.
    -7" screen
    -Higher quality pre-outs for amplified systems, even if they are rated at the same voltage.
    -Voice-control (I used it on the N2 quite a bit)

IMHO Alpine used to lead the category instead of following it, particularly in sound quality for the buck. But they have since ceded that big lead to companies like Pioneer, Kenwood and Eclipse. Since most of the other companies are bundling the NAV feature in that's, in most cases, better than what Alpine charges for in an additional component. When I had my 2000 Harley I switched from a Kenwood nav-system to the IVAD with Alpine's DVD-based PowerNav software, that was way better than the Blackbird's interface..now they want $1700 for the newer NVEN872 component on top of whatever deck you want.

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Alpine switched manufacturers or owners or something like that and hence the more affordable/crappier line. But they are die hard.

The problem with my camera input appears to be internal and will need to be shipped to Pioneer at a charge of no less than $200.

The new Z2's will let you store Mp3s on the hard drive? The Z1 won't (without a hack, and a detailed risky hack at that). It will only rip normal CDs onto the hard drive. It does have Gracenote to label though.

I will stick with the Pioneer only because of the HDD nav, but I'm disappointed to say the least. A rear-camera on an F250 could be useful...lol

El Capitan
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't want to steal your thread, but how does Eclipse compare with these? I've got the IVA D310 now, but I want a flush DD instead of the flip out in my next truck.
    Rusty
    2006 F250 DSG HD
    Black 2003 #00023 - SOLD

R.I.P Blake "Fuzion" Finnell

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown5point4 View Post
    Alpine switched manufacturers or owners or something like that and hence the more affordable/crappier line. But they are die hard.

The problem with my camera input appears to be internal and will need to be shipped to Pioneer at a charge of no less than $200.

The new Z2's will let you store Mp3s on the hard drive? The Z1 won't (without a hack, and a detailed risky hack at that). It will only rip normal CDs onto the hard drive. It does have Gracenote to label though.

I will stick with the Pioneer only because of the HDD nav, but I'm disappointed to say the least. A rear-camera on an F250 could be useful...lol
    Yep, there's 10gigs for MP3 storage built-in. It's a total of 30gigs of storage, 20 is reserved or used for navigation software and 10 is designed to be used for a media library. It uses Gracenote software to automatically label the disc and individual tracks, and free updates for that service are on Pioneer's website.

I can imagine how useful the camera is. Mine is mounted just atop the license plate on the rear of my 03 and it makes it so much easier for me.

I've always thought Eclipse was one of the best sounding products ever. They're still very good, but the Navigation interface different from what every other brand is doing so there's a bigger learning curve. If Nav isn't important, do whatever you think looks best and sounds best.
    We sell a LOT of the Pioneer AVIC-D3 for that very reason. The NAV is still DVD-based, which means you have to insert it into the drive to have overhead mapping. It now comes with the iPod interface in the box, so getting music is not a huge deal, but the CD/DVD player is generally used to hold the mapping software. I you don't use the NAV feature just leave the DVD in the case and play away. Most people like the D3 because it doesn't have a moving faceplate so it flushes into the dash opening for a near-factory fit and the button colors are adjustable to match any interior lighting.
    Last edited by 2TonHog; 01-30-2008 at 08:33 AM.