Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sub-box for the BED!!!

Slowest 03 HD n the WORLD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krix330cic(NJ) View Post
    I know my port into the cab, had to be a specific size based on the subs and air space.

Dallas, I'll have that **** in the mail next week for ya.
    no biggie no hurry my **** aint moving...

and thanks...

for a ported enclosure i can see the hole having to be a certain size... but then you need to make sure it is sealed against the bed REALLY GOOD...

me being a DIY... i am doing the easiest and best i can... i am listening to people i NEED to that have won comps and build BAD *** systems...

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aestrello View Post
    and every sealed box in the bed ive seen never a had a hole to the cab...maybe its because there isnt anything thats going to go threw it..
    maybe you should do some research on the reason for doing a hole from the bed to the cab....i bet every truck that has it is more than likely gonna have a ported box going threw the hole...

:
    im thinking were on different pages here....the one like in the thread with fiberglass was ported and yes the port was designed to be ran into the cab...what dallas is doing is going sealed and then sealing off the rest of the truck from the box...(RIGHT DALLAS!?) i think im on the same page as him. as long as he seals off the woofers from the rest of the bed its almost going to turn the bed of the truck where the woofers are into a SUV.

which in the end should be alot easier for him not having to calculations on port length and size. all he has to do is make sure the face of the box with the woofers in it facing the cab of the truck is sealed off from the rest of the truck as best he can and he should see great results!
    Forget about GO, im all Show-n-AUDIO!

"The Definition of Rolling Thunder"
    If you build it DBzzz will come!

FEATURED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasGT01 View Post
    no biggie no hurry my **** aint moving...

and thanks...

for a ported enclosure i can see the hole having to be a certain size... but then you need to make sure it is sealed against the bed REALLY GOOD...
    Uh, what?

D, all the port is doing is bringing the sound from your enclosure, into the cab. Although it needs to be built with air space and sub specs in mind, its still passing between the sealed cut out bed/cab wall. So it wouldn't make a difference if the enclosure was against your tailgate or butted up against the front bed wall.... Maybe I'm just not following what you were trying to say.

They say a pictures worth a thousand words, so maybe once I post my build and finished pictures up, maybe this will make it easier for others to get an idea.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i have seen some personally that have not had a PORTED BOX for a bed sub box...

and they were PLENTY LOUD!!!!

if you dont like the way its done you dont have to keep putting i your negative feedback... if you dont like it then just ignore it...

do you have a "positive" post in here...

jason leslie even says do a sealed enclosure for 4 12's in the bed...

he has

3-world championships pro
    2-3rds world finals expert
    2-4ths world finals pro
    2-4ths world finals expert
    1-3rd world finals consumer
    1-4th world finals Ultra consumer

looks like thats way more then you.. when you get up there with him lmk...

till then have a nice day...
    ...first i didnt say anything about not ever seeing a sealed box in the bed...if your read correctly i said i have never seen a SEALED BOX with a port hole into the cab....and second i never said it wouldnt be loud.....and third i could care less about what jason leslie has won...good for him....i never said i was a pro box builder...maybe your confused here...cause you keep changing your story..i said it didnt make sense to cut a hole with a sealed box when your subs are facing the tail gate cause then the hole is pointless....then you post
    the subs are facing the cab also..
    now that makes sense for the hole...BUT thats not what you said at first... so be for you get your feelings hurt get the facts right....

and my positive comment WAS to face the subs towards the cab with some neons so you could see it threw the hole... but i guess you must have missed that one...
    Anthony

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ...first i didnt say anything about not ever seeing a sealed box in the bed...if your read correctly i said i have never seen a SEALED BOX with a port hole into the cab....and second i never said it wouldnt be loud.....and third i could care less about what jason leslie has won...good for him....i never said i was a pro box builder...maybe your confused here...cause you keep changing your story..i said it didnt make sense to cut a hole with a sealed box when your subs are facing the tail gate cause then the hole is pointless....then you post

now that makes sense for the hole...BUT thats not what you said at first... so be for you get your feelings hurt get the facts right....

and my positive comment WAS to face the subs towards the cab with some neons so you could see it threw the hole... but i guess you must have missed that one...

look at the ****ing box...

the wheel wells curve towards the cab... use your head...

if i was doing a ported box i would have faced them away maybe you assumed i was because i never said they would face the tailgate...

the subs are facing the bed it you look at it...

also i said i dont have room to mount the amps on top anymore now i need to find another alt to mount them...

wtf is the purpose of a sealed box in the bed without a port to allow the bass to come thru??? make noise for everyone else to hear??? idk... enlighten me since you seem to know your ****...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Uh, what?

D, all the port is doing is bringing the sound from your enclosure, into the cab. Although it needs to be built with air space and sub specs in mind, its still passing between the sealed cut out bed/cab wall. So it wouldn't make a difference if the enclosure was against your tailgate or butted up against the front bed wall.... Maybe I'm just not following what you were trying to say.

They say a pictures worth a thousand words, so maybe once I post my build and finished pictures up, maybe this will make it easier for others to get an idea.
    for the port to work you cant have any leaks..

you really really need to make sure its sealed is what i was tryin to say... not trying to offend you at all...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i cant tell s**t from looking at that box sitting on a bench instead of the bed

the wheel wells curve towards the cab... use your head...
    lol...well if i was using my head i would have made all my speakers with the same air space and they wouldnt have wheel well holes in them...but thats just me...

i see your getting sensitive about the subject so ima leave the subject alone....good luck on your build....

FEATURED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasGT01 View Post
    for the port to work you cant have any leaks..

you really really need to make sure its sealed is what i was tryin to say... not trying to offend you at all...
    None taken. The port is attached to the enclosure, why would you think it wouldn't be built as strong and air tight like the rest of the box?? I think that's common knowelage though.

Not worried about my setup. Its more then a box tossed in a bed (not directed at you), built by a shop that's been featured in mags, done many demo vehicals and has been on tv, and just really close good friends of mine.. I'm just dying to post the damn pics already!!!

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dallas is simply cutting a hole in his cab and bed and placing a speaker box there so he can have more air space than the typical crew cab owners single ten in the rear console. I have seen plenty of bed boxes done this way. This method is actually the preferred for competition vehicles since 99% of those are sealed setups and easier to tune.

Krix is not doing a ported box but rather what is called an isobaric design, very similar to a ported. Since in a ported box almost all of the sound is made through the port, all you need to cut out is the port. Put one or two 12's back there and cut out the port, wa-la!!! heart pounding bass!!!

However, in a sealed box most of the sound comes from the sub cone so you need to clear the space between the sub and cab.

Different strokes for different folks...however I will say that, when comparing apples to apples, a ported box is going to be much louder in almost every case. SQL, or sound quality, is better in sealed enclosures.

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i cant tell s**t from looking at that box sitting on a bench instead of the bed

lol...well if i was using my head i would have made all my speakers with the same air space and they wouldnt have wheel well holes in them...but thats just me...

i see your getting sensitive about the subject so ima leave the subject alone....good luck on your build....
    I think he is rightfully getting sensitive about the subject. The man gets on here posts some pics of his box build and gets hammered by some rookie saying he's doing it all wrong. Until your truck has 4 12's in it (or at least a bed box), admire his build or ignore the post! If you do feel the need to provide some feedback, do it in a friendly way..."lol...well if i was using my head i would have made all my speakers with the same air space" is not friendly

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    WOW... this thread's getting heavy. I've done something similar to what D is doing. I have some pictures at home and will post later tonight. I actually have had two different setups. First, I had 4-10" (eclipses) in the bed with a sealed box, meaning no port... but you could see the subs and then a cutthrough (about the same as D's). I did the cutthrough so I could see the subs. I then had the back of the box made out of plexi so you could see the back of the subs(I'm a dork). I then went with 2 - JL 13.5W6's in a ported box.

Simple put (and I am NOT an audio expert) is that sealed will give that deep type of bass and ported will give the loud bass. The sealed will not be as "muscially" good because of the reverbaration and the ported will be better "musically" because the sound is not banging around the box. Once again, I am NOT an audio expert... this is just what I have been told for about 15 years or so of being around car audio and after having both (minus the difference in sub size) I say that it's right on.

I'll post later and D... I like what you've got going thus far.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    None taken. The port is attached to the enclosure, why would you think it wouldn't be built as strong and air tight like the rest of the box?? I think that's common knowelage though.

Not worried about my setup. Its more then a box tossed in a bed (not directed at you), built by a shop that's been featured in mags, done many demo vehicals and has been on tv, and just really close good friends of mine.. I'm just dying to post the damn pics already!!!
    lol...

i have seen a guy in a toyota that did a ported box but made the port not attach to the bed/cab it was kinda just free air...

when the subs "hit" you can feel the air escaping between box and the bed... it wasent sealed really well...

and thank you all for the support...

it is great to have it..

and astrello... i will post a pic of it in the bed so you can see how it will be...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think he is rightfully getting sensitive about the subject. The man gets on here posts some pics of his box build and gets hammered by some rookie saying he's doing it all wrong. Until your truck has 4 12's in it (or at least a bed box), admire his build or ignore the post! If you do feel the need to provide some feedback, do it in a friendly way..."lol...well if i was using my head i would have made all my speakers with the same air space" is not friendly
    sure thing BOSS!! ive actually worked installing systems so i know something about the subject... and i think this was between me and DALLAS maybe it should stay that way... i think he is a grown man and can speak for his self...
    Last edited by aestrello; 04-03-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    and astrello... i will post a pic of it in the bed so you can see how it will be...
    sounds good....

Dr. Pepper is my choice!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have nothing to add to this, except for "I can't wait to see it when its done"...but I'm just going to say this:

My box is better than all ya's boxes...LMAO!

Sorry, trying to make a funny...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast