Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: cold air intake

Name: me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Last edited by sman113; 02-23-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Chevy Smoker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harly4d View Post
    10lb pulley?? Where did you get a Saleen 10lb pulley from?
    Yeah...yeah.

Did you put on the pulley? If so did you need a different size belt?

2008 F150 FX2 LOADED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wwldman View Post
    Yeah...yeah.

Did you put on the pulley? If so did you need a different size belt?
    I haven't purchased or even knew this existed. And I would assume you would need a different size belt?

I would also think you'd need a custom tune to get the best benefit from the pulley.

My cousin tried the "canned" SCT livewire tunes to try and get more power out of his '08 and it woudln't work. I think it was due to the Saleen flash already in the PCM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Last edited by sman113; 02-23-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Chevy Smoker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I called Jim Jr. at JDM and he said the kit Saleen was offering was their kit. The kit consists of: 3.2 Pulley for the Saleen S/C, a new belt, 90 degree elbow and CAI, SC tuner with a cutom tune in it that will remove the rev limiter and give you a good tune. He says it is good for 80 HP. BUT it does cost $1895.00...plus shipping!

2008 F150 FX2 LOADED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wwldman View Post
    I called Jim Jr. at JDM and he said the kit Saleen was offering was their kit. The kit consists of: 3.2 Pulley for the Saleen S/C, a new belt, 90 degree elbow and CAI, SC tuner with a cutom tune in it that will remove the rev limiter and give you a good tune. He says it is good for 80 HP. BUT it does cost $1895.00...plus shipping!

And most importantly, what about warranty? Who's going to pay if the truck goes BOOM?

And you meant speed limiter right?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2008 F150 FX2 LOADED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sman113 View Post
    Yes, the tune will remove the speed limiter. And the warranty... I think you will have to pay yourself if the truck goes BOOM. Unless you could work something out with Saleen since our powertrain warranty is though them and they are selling the kit. Seems like they should cover it if something happens.
    I wouldn't want to be the one making payments still on a 50k truck and figure out no one wants to pay up to fix it. For now I'll do all the mods that WON'T viod the warranty. When the warranty is up - then I'll play around!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes the kit comes with a belt. There is not much you can do with out voiding the warranty. Just do it. You can alway put it back to stock after it blow up and then have it towed in...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just got a email from saleen, i was wondering since this is the same blower they put on the mustangs 4.6 3v if you could just swap out the top half of the blower and convert it to the mustang still blower (where the throttle body comes out the front not the top) and they said though it was possible,
    "Saleen would advise against do this type of modification. For many reasons, first you would void any warranty on the supercharger currently in your vehicle. Second there would be an extended amount of fabrication with the vehicle to go from the F150 set up to a mustang setup, items like the fuel rail set up is different. Third you would have clearance issues in the engine compartment with the different top plates, the mustang plate / intake stands taller and will not fit into the same area as the plate / intake you currently have on the vehicle. Fourth there is issues with amount of air flow / volume between the two plates, which would require a special PCM calibration that Saleen could not support you with. For these reasons Saleen would not recommend making these modifications to your vehicle. "

and also if you want to do just about anything to the motor at all (intake also) saleen will void their warranty. but i dont know why, they are worried they make a 475hp mustang on a 4.6 3v. also about JDM, 1895 is a bit steep. the pulley is only $109 bucks and the tuner is $379, then you can go to any local shop with a dyno and have them tune everything to YOUR truck which is better than a off the wall tune for maybe $150. so that total is $638 so they are charging $1257 for a cold air intake (which i would have to see a dyno sheet to prove it can make that much horsepower,) and a $20 belt, screw them.

2008 F150 FX2 LOADED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2007harley View Post
    also about jdm, 1895 is a bit steep. The pulley is only $109 bucks and the tuner is $379, then you can go to any local shop with a dyno and have them tune everything to your truck which is better than a off the wall tune for maybe $150. So that total is $638 so they are charging $1257 for a cold air intake (which i would have to see a dyno sheet to prove it can make that much horsepower,) and a $20 belt, screw them.

+ 100%

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2008 F150 FX2 LOADED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sman113 View Post
    You cannot just add a pulley and a custom tune because if you add boost you will peg the MAF. You have to have a larger MAF housing which JDM's air kit has or some sort of MAF extender. If you add boost without one of these you will be joining the Vented Block Club.
    I also agree with you 100% - but - this still doesn't justify almost $ 2000 for the kit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The intake kit includes more than just an intake. There custom fabricated brackets to locate everything as well. On top of that its all set up to go together as a kit. You might be able to buy individual items but that doesnt mean that they will perform well together.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast