Thread: How To: Rear Shock Extenders Install

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

How To: Rear Shock Extenders Install

Harley#356’s How-To’s

So-Cal Rear Shock Extenders

Purpose behind the Mod:
    If you're lowering the rear of your truck more than 2" its a good idea to install a set of shock extenders. It will put the shocks back in their intended operating range of motion, smooth out the ride with the shocks not near bottoming out, and improve the lifespan of the shocks with them not operating at the end range of their travel limits. So-Cal was the original sellers of shock extenders, and their fitment takes some pursuading, but Belltech recently started producing them, and for around the same price, the fit & finish is 100 times better.

Need:
    -Set of So-Cal or Belltech Shock Extenders

Tools Needed:
    -Floor jack
    -Jack stands
    -Sockets/wrenches

Process:
    -I've got photo's for each step of the way, so just follow the steps in each photo description. Install is very straightforward and easy, so a lot of this is common sense, but for the newbies uneasy about wrenching themselves, this will show you exactly how easy it really is! If you have any questions, just post up and I'll edit in anything I may have missed, because as you can see in the photos I took the pics in 2004 for the how-to, and just getting around to it now! LoL!

PHOTO # 1: :Jack the rear end up, and its easier if you allow the rear axle to hang so the shocks are less compressed. Be sure to put jackstands under the frame! Back when I did this I didn't have many tools, so my jackstands were only tall enough to go under the axle, which made it a PITA to compress the shocks to get the extenders bolted up!

PHOTO # 2: :Here's a photo of the So-Cal extenders. Be ready for hardware not fitting right, and brackets not wanting to cooperate, unless you buy the belltech ones!Also make sure both side brackets are difference, since the HD's have different shock mounts on the drivers & passenger sides.

PHOTO # 3: :This photo shows the shock unbolted & uncompressed. You can see in this photo why I said its easier to do this with the rear end hanging down & not compressed, and you can see how far the shock used to be compressed with the truck lowered & no extenders!

PHOTO # 4: : Drivers extender bolted up. Everything went relatively smoothly for this side, it just may take some pursuasion with a hammer to get the so-cal bracket over the stock mount to bolt it up. Don't be surprised if you have to hog out some holes with a drill for bolts to fit in either.

PHOTO # 5: :Here's the passenger side. As you can see the shock bracket is different than the drivers side. Now is the perfect time to do the flipped rear shock mod! See my other how-to in the index listing. Basically, if you have traction bars, flip the passenger shock. If you don't have traction bars, keep the shock where its at because it helps a tiny bit with axle wrap when you don't have traction bars.

PHOTO # 6: :Passenger shock uncompressed.

PHOTO # 7: :New extender mounted. There's a 3rd bolt I couldn't get lined up, that you can't see in this pic, but I left it out, and everything was fine. It just bolts the extender to the bottom side of the stock shock bracket to keep the extender from rotating, but it never moved in the 3 years it was on there. Just last spring I flipped the passenger shock the other way, so its no longer setup like this.

PHOTO # 8: :Both extenders on! Easier said than done with the So-Cals....easier done than said with the belltechs LoL! They now hang down a tad lower than the pumpkin, but if you go over any bumps, the shocks are attached to the axle so they move up with the wheel, you'll never have to worry about scraping them or hitting them on anything like t-bar brackets on the frame rail, unless you get high centered rock crawling your HD offroad! LoL!

Last edited by Harley#356; 04-21-2008 at 03:12 PM.

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Slowest 03 HD n the WORLD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow.. you dont have your shock flipped...

i am suprised...

also i dont see a set of traction bars...

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Dallas, if you're going to post, read the friggin thread before you open your mouth

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    Dallas, if you're going to post, read the friggin thread before you open your mouth
    i read it... but missed that part...

i didnt see you respond to the traction bars...

huh huh huh...

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    yeah, you read the title, otherwise you would have seen I said I took these photos 4 years ago, AND when I said about flipping the shock, AND when I said about the shock setup is no longer like in the photos

and what about traction bars? as I said, not much is like in that pic, a lot of stuff isn't in there. trucks come a LOOOOONG way in 4 years. exhaust is different too, along with 100 other things. no point to mention irrelevant changes to the truck when the how-to is just for shock extenders.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeah, you read the title, otherwise you would have seen I said I took these photos 4 years ago, AND when I said about flipping the shock, AND when I said about the shock setup is no longer like in the photos

and what about traction bars? as I said, not much is like in that pic, a lot of stuff isn't in there. trucks come a LOOOOONG way in 4 years. exhaust is different too, along with 100 other things. no point to mention irrelevant changes to the truck when the how-to is just for shock extenders.
    maybe you need to update it then... cause alot of people are running traction bars and what not...

its okay.. i read it like i said...

maybe now you should read before you post..

i asked a simple question and you came off like a ****.. its cool though... you seem to know it all.. alot more then me... member i am a noob...

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    There's no need to update anything with the how-to, since shock extenders have absolutely nothing to do with traction bars. The how-to for flipping the rear shock addresses concerning doing the flip without t-bars, and thats a separate how-to, but shock extenders deal only with the rear drop, and the shocks, so thats all this thread covers.

Sorry if I come off like an azz, I get tired of answering stupid questions to the same person when they would find the answer themselves if they spent 2 second to read the thread instead. I'm all about helping somebody out and answering questions, thats why I'm on these boards and do a bunch of how-to's, its the stupid nonsense I get tired of dealing with. Just making a general statement of no traction bars or flipped shock in a 4 year old photo isn't a question, so what really were you expecting to be answered?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There's no need to update anything with the how-to, since shock extenders have absolutely nothing to do with traction bars. The how-to for flipping the rear shock addresses concerning doing the flip without t-bars, and thats a separate how-to, but shock extenders deal only with the rear drop, and the shocks, so thats all this thread covers.

Sorry if I come off like an azz, I get tired of answering stupid questions to the same person when they would find the answer themselves if they spent 2 second to read the thread instead. I'm all about helping somebody out and answering questions, thats why I'm on these boards and do a bunch of how-to's, its the stupid nonsense I get tired of dealing with.
    i know i know.. seems like someone is a bit cranky.. no biggie we all have our days...

if i would have read the step 8 or what not that it says the shock is flipped now then i would have just asked about the traction bars...

also i dont have these or what not.... so there for i didnt know if they would need to be the same "parts" since you would be mounting the shock extenders on the opposite side of the stock location...

idk.. just figure i would ask before someone else does...

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    not cranky, tired of idiotic posts

and if you read the "Process" decription, Photo # 5 description, or Photo # 7 description, you would have answered your statement/question. Still fial to see what traction bars have to do with it though.

The how-to for flipping the rear shock deals with any questions about flipping the rear shocks & shock extenders, etc., but yes these same extenders will work with the shock flipped in either direction.

Dr. Pepper is my choice!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wow..that's great Josh! And you even included in Photo #4's caption, a nice smiley where the "D" should be...LMAO! (I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself...because that was funny!)

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    lol thanks wyde. for some reason the old how-to template I had has double :: after each Photo #, and the : next to D makes ! lol

Dr. Pepper is my choice!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was starting to think there was a new manufacturer out there extender bolts...LMAO! "rivers"

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    huh?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Josh love your how to but pictures show up in red X. What s up with that piss me off and right click or paste add does not work either. Any help appreciated.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    gotta be an issue between your computer and LightningRodder.com Photo Gallery - Main Index
    maybe bgstew can help you troubleshoot why their photos won't show up for you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast