Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A note from Fuzion's Mother

Procharged
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wow that brought tears to my eyes! I miss you so much Blake!

They say im RETARDED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i never got a chance to meet blake.. wish i did.
    all i hear are good things about him never bad... always willing to help

were can i get a sticker to rock on my truck

i dont even know the guy and i feel like i have known him for ever..

#8658, 6/3/02
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Finally got to read the letter and it was really moving, thank harly4dr!

Just keepin updated!!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 02maddness View Post
    i never got a chance to meet blake.. wish i did.
    all i hear are good things about him never bad... always willing to help

were can i get a sticker to rock on my truck

i dont even know the guy and i feel like i have known him for ever..
    pm me me your address and i will get one sent out to you

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thought it might help to put the story in the thread.

FUZION Keeps on Truckin’

Heath man’s truck was a death-defying entry in The Heights Car & Motor Show

I love shiny chrome and the smell of high octane fuel. But what I love most about car shows is listening to owners tell the stories behind their cars.

At The Heights Car & Motor Show, held April 12 in Richardson, a middle-aged man talked lovingly about the 1969 Olds 442 that he’s owned since high school. Another man told about building a 17-car garage to house his extensive collection. But I was totally unprepared for Heath resident Jerolyn Finnell’s heart-wrenching story behind the black 2002 Harley Davidson Ford F150 truck with a “FUZION” vanity plate.

“This was my 20-year-old son’s truck,” explained Mrs. Finnell, proudly displaying the shiny black truck with bright orange flames painted down the side. “This truck was Blake’s best friend from the day he got it. At 16, he got involved with the National Harley Truck Owners Club (NHTOC) via the internet. Blake became the youngest member of the group and started the Dallas chapter.”

Blake literally started life in the fast lane. Marshall Blake "FUZION" Finnell was born December 3, 1986 to Jerolyn and Harley "Bubba" Finnell in a 1986 Monte Carlo SS at a high rate of speed enroute to Baylor Hospital in Dallas.

“I was reclined in the front seat as Bubba was weaving through morning traffic,” recalled Mrs. Finnell. “Blake delivered himself. His birth certificate actually reads, ‘I-45 and I-35 overpass’ for place of birth. Blake was a very special delivery.”

When he was 16, Blake went to work at a local tanning salon, pouring all his extra money into his truck.

“At 17 Blake traveled to Kansas to enter his truck in the Harley Lightening Fest,” Mrs. Finnell proudly recounted. “He came home with a First Place trophy. His first local show was Easter 2004 at Celebration Station in Mesquite. We knew he had gone to see friends that had entered cars in the show, but he didn’t tell us he was entering. When he got home, he walked into the kitchen, and said, ‘Look what I got you for Easter,’ and handed me his very first plaque.”

Blake graduated from Rockwall High School in 2005. He went to work for Oldham Lumber, his father’s business, in Dallas. Meanwhile, he poured himself into upgrading his truck. In June 2007, Blake’s truck was named “Truck of the Month” on Welcome to the National Harley Truck Owners Club.

Mrs. Finnel pointed out a long list of modifications Blake had made to the lowered truck: LFP 58" traction bars, custom exhaust, a forged bottom end, Whipple, pulleys, a custom hood and so on. It was evident this young man loved his truck. And it was even more obvious how much this mother loved her son.

Unexpectedly, in July 2007, an aggressive respiratory virus attacked the healthy 20-year-old. Within 24 hours of being admitted to Lake Pointe Hospital in Rowlett, Blake was moved to ICU, and 12 hours later placed on a respirator. After a slew of tests, the Center for Disease Control determined he had a virulent strain of adenovirus, which turned into pneumonia. On August 10, he was flown to Presbyterian Hospital Dallas’ ICU.

“Blake was struggling with oxygen levels between 63 to 80-percent,” said Mrs. Finnell. “In hopes of keeping him motivated, we suggested the oxygen count was a race. We told him he had to reach 100 (percent of oxygen) to win. It was like we turned his oxygen monitor into a speedometer. On the night of August 11, 2007 Blake finally reached 100. We were so excited. Blake's Dad, brother, sister and I were all there with him, holding his hand. We cheered and praised him for his strength and determination. Then, Blake’s heart just stopped. It was the most awful and painful feeling. Blake got his oxygen level to 100. He won his last race. But we lost our precious boy.”

In memory of their son, Jerolyn and "Bubba" Finnell continue to show Blake’s truck at area shows. Friends have even helped complete some unfinished projects like the custom stereo system. They’re all sure he’s looking down from heaven with a smile on his face.

“We are going to continue showing Blake’s truck for him,” concludes Mrs. Finnell. “We know this is what he would want us to do. This truck is him.”

Blake “Fuzion” Finnell’s 2002 Harley Davidson Ford F150 took First Place in the Late Model Truck Class at the The Heights Car & Motor Show…eight months and one day after Blake Finnell finished his final lap.

Note: Blake Finnell’s 2002 Harley Davidson Ford F150 will be at the Cars for CASA Show at The Harbor in Rockwall May 18. More on Blake at MySpace.com - FUZION - 21 - Male - Rockwall, Texas - www.myspace.com/fuzion340.

*sigh*
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for posting that Mumbly. I couldn't finish it without crying, damn it's still hard to believe.

GOT BLING?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks for posting that and neither could I.

They say im RETARDED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    still havent recived a decal really lookin forward to rockin it on my back glass for blake's rememborance

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It was terribly tragic how quick his health faded. One minute he was here helpin people with mods and crackin jokes the next he was in the hospital. Had a glimpse of hope that he was gonna pull through but just couldn't beat it. I never met him in person but was glad to have known him through this site! RIP Blake!

Supercharged '01
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I was always curious what specifically caused his sickness. That is a really sad situation. On a side note, I found this article as I was trying to learn more about the virus.

Killer Cold Virus: Adenovirus Infection (Ad14) Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention Information on MedicineNet.com

Rumblin Bumblin Stumblin
    Name:

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    interesting read, thanks!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    man that was tough to read without choking up. i'm glad i atleast got to talk to blake on here a few times. sucks i never got to meet him. if i get to fly out to texas to help dallasgt out maybe we can go by and pay our respects at least in person

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    man i got choked up reading that. he was a cool kid.
    2001 Harley Davidson F150 SuperCrew w/ many mods SOLD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3