Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bassani Lightning exhaust install?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bassani Lightning exhaust install?

Does anybody have any info on installing this system on my 02 Harley? Pipe size that I need? I have the bassani exhaust with the two seperate mufflers and external x pipe. Thanks
    P.S. I will be doing this myself.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you'll need some 2.5" pipe to extend your midpipes to reach the L catback. you'll also need some couplers & clamps.

if the bassani uses the L's factory exhaust hangers, you can order a set of the L's factory exhaust hangers, they should bolt up onto the frame and it makes hanging it a little easier. i'm not sure if the 2.5" L bassani setup uses the OEM hangers though. my 3.0" L bassani setup came with its own hangers so I sold my OEM L ones.

Supercharged '01
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I had the Bassani L until I went with the JLP system. I am pretty sure it uses the stock hanger. There is a hanger on a cross member near the rear tire and that is the one mine was attached to. Mine was installed by an exhaust shop, but I very much doubt they installed that hanger. I am pretty sure it was stock as it was also bolted in with a heat sheild. I have 2.5 band clamps if you need some, just send me a PM. 2.5 is the pipe size you will need.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i just put a Bassani L exit Kit on my harley. it came with everything needed to install it. i got it off of ebay. it was 662.95 i think it was a lil pricey, but the time you figure in a muffler shop labor and pipe, it probably ain't a bad deal. mine sounds bad a$$! and it bolted right on. also it @ my door in 3 days from TX. he ships fed ex.

item # 290228097135
    Last edited by 2tone03harley; 05-06-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Supercharged '01
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tone03harley View Post
    i just put a Bassani L exit Kit on my harley. it came with everything needed to install it. i got it off of ebay. it was 662.95 i think it was a lil pricey, but the time you figure in a muffler shop labor and pipe, it probably ain't a bad deal. mine sounds bad a$$! and it bolted right on. also it @ my door in 3 days from TX. he ships fed ex.

item # 290228097135
    It sounds like he has the kit made for the Lightning. Sounds like you have the kit made for the harley with the L exit which mounts right up. Takes a little modification to put in the kit designed for the Lightning.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yep I believe he does. either will work, his just needs a muffler shop and a couple of short pieces of pipe. The kit I got would be good for anyone who doesn't have access to a good muffler shop in there area.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Exhaust

Yes I have the exhaust for a lightning, I got it from JLP. So your saying I would have to remove the pipe from the convertor back and replace it with a new 2.5 straight pipe correct? Or can I cut the factory pipe and install the x pipe onto that. Just want to get my nuts in one bag here. Thanks

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you leave the factory midpipes and extend them. there's no cutting involved (as long as you can separate the stock piece lol)

the pipes leave the cats, and the drivers side pipe comes over and sits next to the passenger side pipe. from there it connects to your factory catback. you just remove the factory catback, hang the L catback, and you'll have about an 18" to 22" gap between where your factory midpipes end, and the L catback begins. just throw in straight 2.5" pipe to makeup the difference.

my setup is slightly different because its 3", and I've got a set of cutouts installed, but its still the same principle. Its an L exhaust on a HD, so I had to extend the midpipes. My extensions are composed of two cutout Y pipes and two 10" straight pipes though, where you'rs will just be straight pipe the entire length of my short straight pipe plus cutout Y pipes.

the midpipes ended about even with the rear of the tranny, and the catback started about even with the front of the gastank. just need to throw in extension pipes between there to makeup the difference

here's a pic of the couplers I used, or you can get an exhaust shop to flare the pipe so its slip-jointed instead. these couplers and pipe were from verociousmotorsports.com

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That makes since. What do I need to do about the hangers? Thanks so much for yalls help!

Supercharged '01
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I believe the exhaust shop that did mine just measured and cut the existing pipe and just welded it in. I don't think he added any extra piping, but if you don't want to do any cutting you will have to buy the extensions.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

exhaust

Yeah, I thought I could do it that way with cutting my existing pipes. I went ahead and bought some new extension pipes 24" long and will try to use them.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bassani exhaust

I put the exhaust on last night and Love it!!!!! Only thing I need to do is put the lightning hangers on, has anyone done this if so how do u get the old ones off?

Supercharged '01
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I don't think mine used lightning hangers, but you will have to remove the bed to take out the stock hangers as the nuts are on top of the crossmember right at the front of the bed.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hangers

I'm going to use a air chisel and remove them then bolt the lightning hangers on.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    not the greatest shot, but you can see the L hangers bolted up in this pic. the stock hangers just unbolt, so you shouldn't need to hit them with an air chisel to get them off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast