Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need help with lowering the rear...

Chevy Smoker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have attached a few more pics. And I have some questions.

The block under the leaf spring and on top of the axle...is there a bolt running thru that block towards the top where you will see 2 nuts on a bolt. How can I take off the 4 nuts holding the leafs on the axle without causing damage. Do I jack up the truck and place jack stands under the axle? Anyone know? And removing that block will lower it, right?. Also the top of the shackle is just a few centimeters from the bed so I can not make it any longer. See the pics and I welcome replies and advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name: me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Last edited by sman113; 02-23-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Slowest 03 HD n the WORLD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    why not put the stock shackles on and the flip kit? or did you try that already..

if not.. remove 1 leaf and see how you do...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not sure if this will help, but when I installed the DJM 3.5/5 the rear was too low. I screwed up because I forgot to order the lifting hanger which is required because that block between the axle and leaf spring is removed thus lowering the truck more than 5" and causing the truck to bottom out. I'm not sure about the Ground Force kit, but with the full DJM kit, (lifting hanger incl), I have a good ride height without bottoming out.
    You could possibly mix and match your suspension set up and get a set of lifting hangers, or change your leaf springs whichever would be cheaper.
    Here's a pic;

Mine is an AWD

Chevy Smoker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't view the pic

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wwldman View Post
    I can't view the pic
    hmmm, I see it on the page, if you want I can email you a copy, send me a PM with your email address. The pic is a larger version of my avtar

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    sounds like your best bet is order the leafs, throw them in and see how it looks. if you want it lower, you can add in shackles on a 1" or 2" setting if you need a little more.

i have heard of guys removing that block as well. to do it you're going to have to jack the truck up by the frame so the rear suspension is hanging freely, place jackstands under the frame, then jack up the rear every so slightly just enough to take the weight off the leafs from the rear end hanging. unbolt the U-bolts, lower the rear end down, remove the block, raise the rear back up.

tdr6874
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    can this be removed....the spacer between the leaf and axl housing to drop down another 1 inch to 3/4 inch????

Chevy Smoker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I took out the spacer on mine and rode it a while and no issues. BUT I did not get enough drop so I got the Belltech Leafs and installed them ALONG with a 2" drop shackle. OH yeah I did not put the spacer back in. It rides god now and looks level.

tdr6874
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wwldman View Post
    I took out the spacer on mine and rode it a while and no issues. BUT I did not get enough drop so I got the Belltech Leafs and installed them ALONG with a 2" drop shackle. OH yeah I did not put the spacer back in. It rides god now and looks level.

ok just checking to make sure there would be no axl wrapping or slipping on the leafs...i have the eibach 2/4 and think with it gone it would sit dead on level

Chevy Smoker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah you will be ok, or you can just get a shackle. It takes about a half hour to get them out, but it is tricky without a lift...which I do not have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2