Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How To: JLP Ram Air Intake (New Style)

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

How To: JLP Ram Air Intake (New Style)

Harley#356’s How-To’s

JLP Ram Air Intake (New Style)

Purpose behind the Mod:
    One of the biggest killers of performance for these trucks is heat! Putting in a free flowing intake lets the engine breath better, but if its only sucking in HOT engine bay air, your performance can actually be hurt. The best kits out there are hands down an enclosed box setup to shield the filter from the engine heat, and the even better kits out there are ones that include a ram air setup to tunnel cool fresh outside ambient air into the filter box.

This how-to is for the new style JLP Ram-Air setup, which mounts the scoop behind the grille, and has VERY nicely improved fully welded aluminum boxes. No more tack welds that could potentially break, better fit and finish, and even a bit lighter than the older steel boxes! With the scoop behind the grille it gets rid of any ground clearance issues on lowered trucks, and will pickup less dirt/debris off the road.

Need:
    -JLP Ram Air Intake ( link .: Johnny Lightning Performance )

Tools Needed:
    -Floor jack
    -Jack stand
    -Assorted sockets
    -Flathead Screwdriver
    -Drill
    -1/4" Drill Bit

Process:
    I took a LOT of pics for this how-to. The JLP kit comes with instructions, but incase you just need to see a few more pics from other angles, or photos in color, or more up close detail photo's, they're all here in this how-to! Or if you bought a kit used and don't have instructions, here ya go! Install is easy, but how-to's always help. I'll do the instructions for each step above each photo.

PHOTO # 1: Here is a photo of everything that should be included in your JLP Ram-Air Intake. Aluminum box, aluminum lid, flex hose, filter, scoop, filter flange, IAT sensor gromet, MAF bolts, several hose clamps &/or zip ties, L bracket, nut & bolt for scoop, lid screw, and instructions.

PHOTO # 2: Here is a closeup of the smaller hardware that comes with the kit.

PHOTO # 3: First, remove your stock airbox & rubber elbow. Be sure to unplug the IAT1 sensor and MAF sensor, and the 3 vac lines on the bottom of the rubber elbow. When the airbox is out, remove the MAF section and set aside for installing to the JLP box.

PHOTO # 4: The next step is insert the billet filter flange into the end of the JLP box. The fit is very snug, so what I did is make a quick pass around the opening in the box with a hand-file just to knock the powdercoating down just a tiny hair, and the flange popped right in.

PHOTO # 5: From the inside of the box.

PHOTO # 6: Grab your MAF now, and bolt it up to the JLP box using the four supplied 4mm allen bolts.

PHOTO # 7: The front side of the MAF should face forward when installed.

PHOTO # 8: Next stick the supplied rubber grommet into the hole on the rear side of the box. This is for your IAT1 sensor.

PHOTO # 9: Set the box into place in the engine bay. The left side will be supported by your intake elbow, and the right side supported by the coolant tank brace. There's a notch in the corner of the JLP box that slides over the coolant tank brace. Then plug your IAT1 sensor into the airbox with the plastic portion vertical as shown in the photo.

PHOTO # 10: Here's just a photo from inside the JLP box looking out towards the drivers fender. You can see the intake is open here to get fresh air from the outside. One of my next mods will be running a second scoop and tubing up the fender to this side of the box.

PHOTO # 11: Your box is now installed!

PHOTO # 12: Slide your air filter into the box and over the billet flange and tighten down on supplied hose clamp. Also, take the supplied black trim and place it around the edge of the box and trim any excess. You can also use chrome instead of black to bling it up a bit.

PHOTO # 13: Next put the aluminum lid on. The right side slides underneath the edge of the airbox, and the left side is attached with a very small screw.

PHOTO # 14: Here is a closeup of the small screw on the left side of the box that holds the lid in place.

PHOTO # 15: Next take the L bracket, and remove the one 14mm steering box bolt and reinstall it with the L bracket facing forwards. In the pic mine is still my old bracket from my original style JLP ram-air, but the new style uses the same bracket.

PHOTO # 16: Now we'll run the ram-air tubing. Locate the bottom of the airbox. I did this all with my wheel liner out for taking photos, but you can also do it with it still in, just have to reach from up top to tighten the hose on the bottom of the airbox.

PHOTO # 17: With the hose in place, tighten up on supplied hose clamp and route hose down and towards the L bracket.

PHOTO # 18: Now insert another hose clamp (or zip tie, depending what ships with your kit) through the L bracket and around your flex-hose. This keeps it secured to the frame, and out of the way of rubbing your tire. I'm lowered 3" up front, and with bigger 295/45/20" tires, and I've NEVER even come close to rubbing the hose with it properly secured.

PHOTO # 19: Route the hose around the body mount, through a rubber splash guard (may have to trim the guard back an inch or two for room for the hose to fully fit), and up into the area between the back of the grille and the front of the AC condensor. Keep the rubber hose relatively tight, because you won't have much extra to work with at the end.

PHOTO # 20: Remove your radiator shroud, and pull the hose upwards to the top drivers corner of the grille. Wait til the end to mount the scoop, I just had it on in the photo for positioning.

PHOTO # 21: With the scoop situated in the top drivers corner of the grille, mark and drill one 1/4" hole through the fiberglass/plastic grille support & plastic scoop beneath. Use the supplied allen bolt & nut to bolt the scoop into place. I suggested to JL to include 2 washers with the kit for a bit more clamping area, but if your kit doesn't have any, I suggest adding a washer on the top & bottom of the allen bolt.

PHOTO # 23: Here's a shot from the grille of the scoop mounted. Definitely a lot more stealthy and hidden than the older style scoops under the bumper.

PHOTO # 24: Attach the hose with the supplied hose clamp to the back side of the scoop and tighten down.

PHOTO # 25: Taking a step back to the wheel-well, here's a photo of the tubing with the wheel well installed. Can only see a small portion of the tubing, but still enough room to get to the L bracket so you don't have to remove the fender liner to install the intake.

PHOTO # 26: Plug your MAF back in, make sure your IAT1 sensor is still plugged in, reinstall your intake elbow, and make sure the bottom 3 vacuum lines are still attached to it. Fire the truck up, and go enjoy your new ram-air intake!

PHOTO # 27: The finished product looks nice under the hood, especially with the new quality & fit/finish of the new aluminum airbox! I plan to go with a chrome lid & sonic blue airbox when I do my 2.6 KB, so stay tuned!

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Slowest 03 HD n the WORLD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i do like that better then the one that goes under the bumper...

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/2000-20...tml#post472774

there is the comparison thread I just wrote up with the differences & side by side photos of the new style kit & old style kit

PiMpInDaSoUtH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    how can i get that carbon fiber fan shroud?

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DATS TTRAH! View Post
    If you mean radiator cover, here, DGM motorsports $480 bucks

2008 F150 FX2 LOADED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DATS TTRAH! View Post
    DGM Products

LOL - almost simultaneous postings!!!!
    Last edited by harly4d; 09-27-2008 at 10:01 PM.

¤§_The_Noble_Beast_§¤
    Name: Christopher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What's the length, height, and inlet diameter of the air filter? Thinking of getting a Truflow filter for my JLP kit.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I'd do some more reading on the true-flow filter before putting one in. Quite a few guys on NLOC were having issues with the true-flow filter wacking out the MAF readings since it creates more of a turbulent air entering the intake tract than the cotton gauze style filters. I believe chickenears stopped selling them with his kit because of that issue, unless somebody specifically wants a true-flow filter

¤§_The_Noble_Beast_§¤

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ok...356 thanks for the update...

¤§_The_Noble_Beast_§¤

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I need to know if 39 inches of hose length is enough? Or what is the proper length to install the intake scoop? Cause Im having trouble on installing it. Thanks

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    For the scoop behind the grille? 39" sounds about right, but I never really measured it. You may need some more than that. It was a tight squeeze getting it to fit, another 6" would have helped not having to stretch the hose as much routing it.

¤§_The_Noble_Beast_§¤

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Where can I find more of this type of rubber hose? I tried Home Depot and Lowes Today and no luck... Bummer

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Best bet is either call JLP and see if you can buy a section of the tubing, or check online. Could also try a HVAC place or plumbing shop since it is pretty heavy dryer type tubing.

Chevy Smoker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Where can I get a scoop? I ran a hose from my intake to my lower opening (grill) but I did not have a scoop. Where can I get one from.

2008 F150 FX2 LOADED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wwldman View Post
    Where can I get a scoop? I ran a hose from my intake to my lower opening (grill) but I did not have a scoop. Where can I get one from.
    Here you go:

Brake Ducts : Brake Cooling Ducts : Brake Air Ducts : Racing Brake Duct : Racing Brake Cooling Ducts

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast