Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Spoon Fed Oil Seperator How-to with part #s and pics

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Spoon Fed Oil Seperator How-to with part #s and pics

OK, I couldn't believe how easy this was once I got the right parts. So I thought I'd do a "how-to" on it.

Here's a list of parts and what I paid for them and where I got them. I'll include the description exactly as it says on the package to eliminate confusion. BTW, Watts is the brand of fittings Lowes, Home Depot and the local Hardware store all carry here so it should be pretty universal.

1 Watts Part # PL-361 - " Nylon Hose Barb To MIP Elbow 3/8" X 3/8"" $1.50 - Lowes
    This is the part that screws into the input side of the seperator, threaded on 1 side with a 90 degree 3/8" hose fitting on the other. Attaches to your 3/8" hose

1 Watts Part # A-294 "MIP Adapter 3/8" X 3/8"" $1.50 - Lowes
    This is the metal straight adapter that screws into the output side of the seperator and plugs into the rubber boot on the supercharger.

1 Watts Part# A-290 "ID Hose Splicer - 3/8" $1.50 - Lowes
    Double ended hose barbed brass fitting, Connects your 3/8" line to the rubber fitting on the line coming from the valve cover.

1' of 3/8" Trasnmission cooler line - no part $1.50 per foot at Discount Auto parts. You only need about 6".

1 Amflo Part # 3540A-RET Filter 3/8" NPT - $17 at Lowes
    This is the actual oil seperator.

Grand total is $21.50 + tax.
    add $.89 if you don't have teflon pipe tape for the threads and pick up a roll of it while you're at Lowes to use on the threaded fttings.

OK lets assemble the seperator!
    This part you can do in your living room or at the kitchen table or wherever is comfy.

Get your A-294 threaded adapter and wrap the threads with about 2" of teflon tape and screw it into the output side of the seperator. There's an arrow on top to tell you which side is in and which is out. OK, you're done with the output side.

Now get your PL-361 elbow fitting, wrap another 2" of teflon tape onto the threads and screw it into the input side of the seperator, tighten it so that the hose barb ends up pointing down towards the bowl. Don't go he-man on it, remember you're threading plastic into metal!
    Take your 3/8" hose, put your A-290 splicer in one end. We'll cut it to length when we get to the truck.

Now lets go out to the truck.

Open the hood, locate the line on the left rear of the supercharger, see the pics for the where the serator goes, theres a padded plastic hose on there from the factory. It just pulls loose on both ends. You should end up with a rubber fitting on the supercharger and one about 6" away diaganaly down and to the left on a line coming up from the valve cover. If the rubber fittings came off with the line, just pull them off and put them back where they go.

Take your seperator and push the A-294 straight fitting on the output side into the rubber fitting on the supercharger. That side is done.
    Now take your hose with the A-290 splicer in one end and put the other side of the A-290 into the rubber fitting coming up from the valve cover. You should now have a foot of tubing sticking up right past the 90 degree hose fitting on the PL-361 fitting on the intake side of the seperator, cut the excess hose off, leaving enough to attach to the fitting, push the hose onto the fitting and you are done my friend!
    I left mine a little long and will cut itso it sits level, I was heading out for a road trip and rushed to get it in place before I left, I actually did mine in the hardware store parking lot!

Should take about 10-20 minutes and is very self explanatory once you start doing it. VERY easy. Difficulty rating of 2 at the most!

here's some pics, I left them kind of large so you could see whats going on.

Theres a detailed look...
    And here's what you should end up with....

BTW, they do fill up fast, just think of all the oil you're keeping out of your intake track!!

Anyway, that should cover it, I tried to explain things as plainly as possible, this is defintely a mod that NEEDS to be done ASAP and is also a project NOT to be afraid of!

-V
    '03 HD Solid Black - Gone but never forgotten.
    '07 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Venom, I was just going to order one. Thanks you saved me and now I'll do that this weekend when the parts are in my hand. One thing you need to do is level it for looks at least! Is there a reason its ****ed in there? Just wondering not being a smart azz

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is why I love this site. Thanks Bro!

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I threw it on in a hurry in the parking lot of the harware store cuz I was heading down to Ft Meters/Sanibel for the day and it's a little crooked. Has since been fixed ;)

Like I said, once you have the right parts, it's cake!
    One other thing I should mention, I went with a little bigger seperator than some of the others, so I didnt have to empty it as often, the tiny ones would just fill up too damn fast!
    I figured why not? There's room!

In trouble...again
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice how-to Venom. I have the REM kit but haven't installed it yet.

Haulin' Harley A$$
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Awesome man! Going to Lowe's this weekend.

Haulin' Harley A$$
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What section were the parts in at Lowes, plumbing?

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    they were in plumbing where they sell the clear plastic hose by the foot

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can you get the fittings in metal or stainless? Something besides pvc.

Biker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I used brass fittings, they were right next to the filter at Lowes.
    I was afraid the plastic would not hold up very long.

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the stock tube you are replacing is plastic.....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am so pissed, i never go to Lowes as i like Home depot better. So i drive the 20 miles to the nearest lowes to get the parts tonight. And low and behold they do not have the pl-361, nor did they have an oil seperator.

SO i hten drive over to home depot and i wa slike no problem.... so i look around and find an oil seperator but the damn thing had 1/4 inch inlet and outlets. So ten i go to look for the fittings and they did not even ahve any 90 degree elbow fittings. I have to find the 90 degree fitting somewhere damn it..... im pissed...

It's me!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i plan on doing this mod tomorrow, hopefully the lowe's or home depot here has the parts.

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ace Hardware has a serious selection of fittings and stuff. Lowe's was out of one part when I did mine and I went to Ace and they had every variety of fitting under then sun!
    Sorry, I shoulda listed them as an alternative source.
    Like I said in the beginning, once you have all the right parts, it's cake.

Oh yeah, as far as the heat question Fatboy had, I just did 1900 miles this weekend in the Fla, Ga, SC sun at 90-95 mph on the highway for hours and then lot of stop and go driving out in the boonies catching rattlesnakes and there's absolutely NO sign of melting, sagging or any other problems!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've tried every Lowe's and Home Depot here and none of them carry this Amflo oil seperator. All of them didn't know what I was talking about.
    Anyone have any ideas where I can pick up one of these Amflo oil seperators or something similiar that I can use?
    2003 Harley Davidson F150 #8432
    2001 SVT Lightning #435
    2001 VW Jetta
    2001 Ducati 748 Fila Rep.
    2001 Aprilia RS50/70

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast