Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "How to"-Fordless '02 & '03 Grill **pics**

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"How to"-Badgeless '02 & '03 Grill **pics**

I know it's a shame, and maybe Henry Ford is tossing and turning on his place of rest, but I really didn't like the ford emblem, so I decided to change the things around.

Here's the "How to":

First take the grill out and make sure your truck look like this:

You will need one donator for a black grill* , and two if you want to do it chrome, I already made the chrome one, thank's to Amy (wyde1340) and to a friend of mine that had a wrecked HD last year and gave me the broken grill, so I had two donators and was able to build two grills out of it.

with the frame out of the truck, find the clips that retain the grille in place, mine did NOT open to release the grill, so I had to break the tabs, you can try to release your without breaking.

After you have the grill loose, start separating the three bars along with the ford emblem, use a hand saw for metal, without the arch, make sure you use heavy duty leather gloves or a straight handle, and cut the bvertical bars right in the middle.

Repeat the operation on the bars you want to use from the donators, and this will be a good time to use a metal polish of your choice, the grill is plastic, but as opposed to just chromed plastic, it is actually "chrome plated" plastic.

Now that you have it all clean and almost ready to put it together, take your time measuring the gaps amongst the bars your adding, as well as the sides, then once satisfied, set it aside and cut three 9" pieces of 1/4" stud, I used a left over threaded one, they have so mant of those at Home depot and Lowes that they are even selling them

After they are in the proper size, bent them to match the curvature of the bars vertically.

Put them on the back of the place where you previouslly had cut the bars, and wrap them up with some plastic ties, you can either leave them for extra insurance or just take them out after the Mr.J.B.Weld comes to play.

Don't worry, the donated bars will be longer to sides of the grill, but they won't bother or show, and if the eyes dont see it...the heart won't feel it

After the JB weld is cured, dril one hole on each of the frame tabs and install a bold with a nut on the inside, they don't have to be drilled on the grill, they are there so the grill don't fall from the tabs you previously broken.

Now drill a hole on top (make sure it will be hidden under the radiator shroud after installed) and use a piece of metalic tab (Home depot again-plumbing section) fold it to make an "U" shape following the inside contours of the frame, again , "you do not have to bolt it on the grill, only on the frame.

This is what you have achieved so far:

*Black grill "How to" in progress, it will be added to this "How to" as soon as I finish it.

Reinstall the whole assembly in your truck and enjoy the new look your truck have now.

For more pics of the truck go here: http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/2000-20...od-thread.html
    Last edited by Hoffmann; 06-25-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    damn i'll buy the chrome grille right now if you want to put the black one in your truck =)
    Last edited by EVL LS1; 06-19-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Slowest 03 HD n the WORLD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    not a mod for me...

its different though...

congrats on thinking outside the box..

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A "badgeless" grill. nice job Hoff.

New Zealand.. Where???
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Stunning man. Can you let ford know for the new Harley trucks!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    with the frame out of the truck, find the clips that retain the grille in place, they do NOT open to release the grill, you will have to break the tabs.

actually, those can be opened to release the grille without breaking them. they are just VERY tricky to get released. but with some patience and some creativity, then can be salvaged. I had to pop my 02 grille out of the shell it came in and swap it into my 00 surround, and was able to do it without breaking the clips.

anyway, HUGE props for the creativity on this mod!!!!! I've got to say, this is probably one of the most ingenious mods I've seen to date. Not just a bolt on somebody buys and throws on, but taking OEM stock parts, modifying them seamlessly, and making a mod that looks so clean it could be mistaken for OEM

I'm not really crazy about the all chrome with no emblem, but I think I'll like the all black with no emblem

THE LIFE
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    is thare any where that i can get a DSG grille frame i ahve a crome one now with the nav grille

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    nice one Hoffie!!!!

El Presidente
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    You lost me at... "First".

You, sir are a genius... a mad, evil genius.

Dr. Pepper is my choice!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good job Hoffie!!! Can't wait to see it in black -- whoootwhoot!!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    with the frame out of the truck, find the clips that retain the grille in place, they do NOT open to release the grill, you will have to break the tabs.

actually, those can be opened to release the grille without breaking them. they are just VERY tricky to get released. but with some patience and some creativity, then can be salvaged. I had to pop my 02 grille out of the shell it came in and swap it into my 00 surround, and was able to do it without breaking the clips.
    I've popped mine off a few times to change it, had a billet and a honeycomb in there at one point and the tabs are still intact.

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you very much guys, I love MOD's that never been done before, it's hard to find them on a 6 yo truck, but there are still some

Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 03HD8050 View Post
    I've popped mine off a few times to change it, had a billet and a honeycomb in there at one point and the tabs are still intact.
    I think maybe on mine they were too dry/old so they broke before I touch them, out of fear

I edited the description on that part

with the frame out of the truck, find the clips that retain the grille in place, mine did NOT open to release the grill, so I had to break the tabs, you can try to release your without breaking.

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Hog View Post
    You, sir are a genius... a mad, evil genius.

More like a MOD evil genius!
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    The grill is Hot! Good job Hoff.

El Presidente
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinjr View Post
    More like a MOD evil genius!
    Yes, that's it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast