Thread: Parking brake adjustment?

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Unhappy Parking brake adjustment?

I need help here guys.
    I did a search but could not find anything related.
    I failed inspection because the parking brake does not hold when I put the truck in gear. It really has been that way from the start and they let it through because it was a newer model truck and they have witnessed it on other models. However, I cannot pass now.
    When I push the pedal down it practically goes to the floor. It does have tension but the truck will still creep when it is engaged. I noticed when I put it in reverse it will hold. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the brake so I can get this truck passed? I have already replaced the pads that were fine in the first place.
    I thought the extra millimeters would give me more bite.
    Please help.

Thanks

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The adjuster is on the inside or the rear brakes themselves. there is a little rubber plug covering it up. Adjusting can be done with a flat head screwdriver but it is difficult, there is a tool that is made specifically for this however I do not know where to get it. Any brake shop should be able to get this done for you at a reasonable price it only take a few mins and you shouldn't even have to remove the wheel but lifting it off the ground is a good idea so you can check the tension manually

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 03HD8050 View Post
    The adjuster is on the inside or the rear brakes themselves. there is a little rubber plug covering it up. Adjusting can be done with a flat head screwdriver but it is difficult, there is a tool that is made specifically for this however I do not know where to get it. Any brake shop should be able to get this done for you at a reasonable price it only take a few mins and you shouldn't even have to remove the wheel but lifting it off the ground is a good idea so you can check the tension manually
    Ok...thanks.
    I'll take a look behind the plug. Hopefully I can do this myself. I wish someone knew where I could find the proper tool. I hate going to shops. They'll probably charge a mininum of 65 bones to even put it on the lift.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    brake adjustment tool and you can get them at any pepboys, napa etc...looks like a bent screwdriver basically

It will go through the slot on the backside of the drum and turn a cogged wheel to expand or contract the brake set screw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bgstew6; 06-22-2008 at 02:27 PM.

2008 F150 FX2 LOADED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bgstew6 View Post
    brake adjustment tool and you can get them at any pepboys, napa etc...looks like a bent screwdriver basically

It will go through the slot on the backside of the drum and turn a cogged wheel to expand or contract the brake set screw.

I thought these trucks had disc brakes?

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    they do....we are talking the parking brake here....there is a drum inside the rear rotor for the parking brake shoes

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bgstew6 View Post

Thanks a bunch.
    I'll give it a try tomorrow afternoon.