Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake rotors going bad...

Juice
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Never seen anything like that before, must have made one he!! of a noise. I've seen drums crack and blow apart and rotors wrapped and cracked but never split apart like yours did.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Holy cr_p Hoffie!
    It is a good thing you were not going faster than your guardian angel could fly as your guardian was looking out after you today. Best of success in the repairs. Make sure you throughly inspect your spindel & brake caliper for damage & replace them if in doubt.
    BBU

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Bro, you were blessed!! God was surely your copilot. Never seen that type of failure before.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfradam View Post
    thats no heat crack!! that looks like metal fatigue.glad your ok Hoff
    I know thats not what happened to make the rotor seperate from the hub.It was just a side question,from looking at the pictures and seeing the rotor face cracked around the dimples.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Holy Shat!! Glad you are OK Hoffie. That could have been pretty serious. I too would check the spindle and bearing for damage. You should get a full set as replacement since you will have uneven wear on the other rotors if you replace just 1.

El Presidente
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Those are one piece cast and then machined correct? Must have been a defect in the casting process or materials used in the casting. That is crazy serious failure.

Hoffie when did you purchase those?
    I'm wondering if this is a problem with all the rotors produced in that same batch.

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OMH, I have to do a research here to remember when I bought them, I am still having CRS since it happened

Dr. Pepper is my choice!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ^^Check your shorts...

You ought to do a "run-out" measurement on them to see what (if any) kind of warping may have been on them. Yeah, easier said than done, if you don't have a lathe or a completely machined surface?? (DOH!) Warping causes vibration which CAN cause that type of failure...which is so scary...

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harly4d View Post
    How long have you had them on there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Hog View Post
    Hoffie when did you purchase those?
    I'm wondering if this is a problem with all the rotors produced in that same batch.
    All right, I didn't have a thread with a MOD's list, but a quick search brought me the aproximate date of the purchase...probably I installed right after

I still believe this kind of failure is regardless of how long it's in the truck, unless they had come with an expiration date stamped.

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/2000-20...pros-hawk.html

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    damn hoff glad to hear all is well! believe me i know exactly what you went threw!!!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    damn hoff! that sucks man! good to hear you're okay, and that there's no other damage to your hooptie. Sure it wouldn't have taken much more for that rotor to blow apart and trash the inside of the wheel with brake rotor shrapnal flying

Definately keep us posted on what Rich (rotorpros) says about them. I think he should definately hook you up on another set under warranty for that. I'd insist on a FULL set front and rear as well, since they were all probably cast from the same batch, and definately seems to me like a bad casting

Quote Originally Posted by '02HD#3982 View Post
    Damn,Hoff.That could have ended really bad.

Looking at your pics,raises a question(unrelated to the seperation),I thought dimpled rotors werent supposed to "heat crack"(if thats the right description).Or is it just supposed to lessen it?
    the dimpled & drillled rotors actually are more prone to heat cracking, since the cut edge is a fresh surface for the crack to start, rather than a solid rotor where there's no cut edges for a crack to start quite as easily. Slotted/dimpled/drilled do decrease the heat a bit by evacuating the gasses from the pad, but IMO out of the 3, slotted is all thats needed. New age pads gas out a lot less than older pads from years back, so slots are enough to evacuate the gasses. cross drilled would evacuate gasses into the rotor veins to vent them, but they are definately prone to cracking on the street. dimpled IMO is just mostly for looks, since the dimple can't vent to anywhere, reduces rotor contact surface, and just creates more points for stress cracks to occur. Slotted only on all my hoopties.

Anyway, back on topic, sorry hoff!

Quote Originally Posted by wyde1340 View Post
    ^^Check your shorts...

You ought to do a "run-out" measurement on them to see what (if any) kind of warping may have been on them. Yeah, easier said than done, if you don't have a lathe or a completely machined surface?? (DOH!) Warping causes vibration which CAN cause that type of failure...which is so scary...
    I was thinking that as well. did you have any vibration in the steering beforehand? bad alignment or tire out of balance? I definately think the rotor casting was bad, but an out of balance tire or alignment could have sped up the road to self distruction of the rotor. I've actually seen this happen on the stealth boards to one guy on his car, but his happened on a set of no-name ebay rotors and he was driving it hard on a road course.

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manytrucks View Post
    Dude if those were Rich's, you need to seriously talk to him about a warranty issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by huot5 View Post
    that is catastrophic rotor failure!!!! hopefully Richard makes it right by at least offering a great discount if not free replacement
    Quote Originally Posted by Krix330cic(NJ) View Post
    Id have to go ape **** on the maker of those rotors if that ever happened to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Wolf View Post
    You should get a full set as replacement since you will have uneven wear on the other rotors if you replace just 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    Definately keep us posted on what Rich (rotorpros) says about them. I think he should definately hook you up on another set under warranty for that. I'd insist on a FULL set front and rear as well, since they were all probably cast from the same batch, and definately seems to me like a bad casting

I just sent Rich (Rotorpros) a PM with a redirect to this thread, let's see what he says

FEATURED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I say you deserve a big brake kit upgrade... not that he offers one, 'cause those arn't made in China..

Supporting Vendor
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Honestly, in all the years we have been in business this has "NEVER" happened. We will send you a new pair of front rotors, no problem. I do not see this ever happening again. It should go under the "FREAK" accident column. As others on the forum have stressed, we are relieved you are OK and nothing happened to you or anyone else due to this failure. Please contact us at sales@ROTORPROS.com with all your information so we can get another pair of dimpled and slotted front rotors going your way. Thanks again to all that have purchased our products in the past. ROTORPROS - Home Page

Dr. Pepper is my choice!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rich - hats off to you!!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast