Thread: Bigger air inlet/grill for the '03 lower valance.

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bigger air inlet/grill for the '03 lower valance.

All right guys, this MOD is a very wanted but never attempted before, it is directed to the lower grill of '03's Harley trucks only, but IIRC, it can also be done on the '02, the difference is that on the '02's, the bottom of the valance is already lifted, so you will not gain much, but on the sides, still, is an improvement over the small mouth these trucks have for the intercooler radiator.

I'd love to do this MOD on any '02 grill, but unfortunately I sold mine so I would need a guinea pig lower '02 valance to make it happen, so if you have one and are willing to be the first one to have it MODded, post it up then buy the Lightning billet lower and we make arrangements to have it done :oldtu:

The MOD itself is not to complicated, it took me a bit of time, but I had nothing to follow to start, so it was another ghetto creation, if you have the tools and a good hand, you can do it without screwing something up.

Tools needed are:

8mm ratchet
    10mm ratchet
    phillips
    screw drive
    measuring tape
    ruler
    marker
    jig saw
    angle grinder/cutting disk
    heat gun or torch
    locking pliers
    masking tape

Parts needed are:

Lightning lower billet grill
    Two 1/8" x 1/2" rivets
    Two 1/8" x 1/2" bolts + nuts
    Two 1 1/2" x 1/2' aluminum tabs

Start by taking the lower valance out of the truck using the 8mm ratchet, there are four bolts on each side, and four where the intercooler is (two of these are 10mm).

NOTE: you do NOT need to take the foglight brackets in order to do it.

Once you have it out of the truck, measure about 1 3/4" from the existing hole towards the bottom of the valance, you can now use a jig saw then cut it the whole length of the hole because it will be about 2" after words, but you want it shorter for now then with the angle grinder or a dremmel, I used a angle grinder with a cutting disk, anyway, with any of those tools then you can get it where you want. Make sure you start the cut anywhere in the middle and not the sides, because you definitely don't want to screw up on the sides.

Now is the time to "take your time" and carefully place the masking tape on the inside of the valance, you will have to use the billet grill to gide you so you know how much you have to grind, don't rush, grind it little by little and measuring the gap between the grill and the valance constantly.

for the lower portion of the valance you want to have a masking tape from each corner, then just grind it so it's flat with the tape, how much to grind? -it will depend on each grill, as I said before, you have to measure and put the grill on top of the valance as many times as you need to make sure you got it as flat as possible, try to keep the level so the rounded corners will take shape as you grind it.

The upper portion of the valance will only need to be grinded about 1/4" on the extreme corners.

To bolt the grill on the valance, you will need to cut the stock lower grill brackets, you can see in the pics below where to cut, there is no need to be precise,
    then bolt the bracket on the valance with the grill in place,
    get the tabs that come with the new billet grill, fold them so you have an "L" shaped bracket and mark where you have to drill the holes for the screws, make sure you drill a bigger hole on the opposite side of the plastic stock bracket, doing this, you can put the screw drive thru to tighten the screws.

Now you will have to push the grill so it matches the upper portion of the valance, while pushing it together, put your locking pliers to keep then together and drill two small holes on the upper part of the valance, the holes must go thru the first bar of the billet grill.

I had to install the upper bracket after the valance was reinstalled on the truck because it was not matching the holes, so I learned from my mistake, :embar:

Cut two small tabs of aluminum about 1 1/2" x 1/2" and drill two holes on each extremity, about 1/4" from it's ends, after it's drilled, bent them about 15 degrees right in the middle, and bolt one on each grill hole you just drilled, (as in a "V")

the other end of the little brackets, you will now use the rivets, make sure the bracket in on the inside of the valance and rivet it together.

Your grill should now be attached firmly to the valance and you can check the face fitment, if you see any gap between the grill and the valance, het up the inside of the valance holding it to be as close as possible, you can use a wet rag to cool down as opposed to be holding there until it cools by itself, continue heating and cooling as many times as you need to close any gap. (be careful not to melt the valance) and never put the torch on the painted side.

Here's a shot of your new look

BTW- Your truck will be very happy to be able to breathe :D

Sort of before and after pics...

Dr. Pepper is my choice!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Whooot...great mod

FEATURED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    that looks awesome mr hoff

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Nice how-to hoffie!

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    hoffy when do you wanna try it with a 00-02? i have 2 of them???

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpr103 View Post
    hoffy when do you wanna try it with a 00-02? i have 2 of them???
    Thank you Rich, you wanna do it for you?

I am all game, I'd love to add the '00-'02 grill to the how to

4Sale in the classifieds
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    Nice how-to hoffie!
    Plus 1

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank's guys

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    well i have one sitting in the body shop and the battle scared one on my truck. waiting for my dg motorsport to get here, then my truck is off ot the body shop for awhile. i wont recognize her when she is done lol!!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice job Hoff!

PiMpInDaSoUtH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    this is exactly what i want to do but i want to keep the stock grill

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you can if you get some SS tubing to custom fab a lower grille

PiMpInDaSoUtH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    would anyone be willing to help do this mod on mine and the lightning side skirt mod? im willing to drive if not that far........not really soon but in the near future