Thread: HOW TO: Rebuild lock actuator

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HOW TO: Rebuild lock actuator

There are lots of write up about taking the lock actuator out and replacing it with a new one but not rebuilding it.

1. Drill out 6 plastic rivets. (Do not remove metal rivets at the end.) Use a drill bit slightly smaller than plastic head. Don't drill too deep.

2. Pry open the case and remove the motor.

3. Bend out metal tabs holding plastic motor back on.

4. You will likely find the inside cap and motor windings covered with a black dust. This comes from the wear of the brushes. This needs to be removed. I used an electrical cleaner called Electro-Clean. Spray your cleaner on and this powder should come off rather nicely.

5. I removed the small thermister element along one side and cleaned it off as well. Remove using a small needle nose. Do not loose this piece! I wrapped the thermister in foil which is a no no, but what do i have to loose. Just do not hold down the lock button and you should be alright.

6. Assemble motor and replace. Make sure two slots are up for the electrical connection. (Look inside housing and you should see two terminals sticking down that go into motor when the case is closed.)

7. You can use 1/2" #4 sheet metal screws to close the case. It may be necessary to first use a small drill bit to clear a hole for the screws at each rivet location. I used gorilla glue because if this doesn't work i am going to buy new ones.

8. Slide the actuator back in place and connect the wiring.
    9. For the fun of it, you can test at this point by reconnecting the door switch temporarily.

I got most of this from this thread.Power door locks - how they work - F150online Forums i am not very good with the english language even though its my first language.
    I am going on 2 days and the lock actuator is working great. i just use my keyless entry remote.
    Last edited by mdleal; 09-30-2008 at 07:05 AM.

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice, I did not have this problem...yet...but with these trucks getting older, a few things here and there will eventually fail, and How To's are always great.

Thank you for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by mdleal View Post
    i am not very good with the english language even though its my first language. I am going on 2 days and it is working great. i just use my keyless entry remote.

I understood every single word you wrote

You will see some bad spelling we have here from time to time...

Duck Commander
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks for the write up im gonna tackle this job saturday on my 2000

Mod Freak
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    did the same on my 00 ... it was barely moving the locks ... I took off the resistor and just used solder to conect the 2 ends.

It's being working perfectly for about 2 years.