Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Optima Batteries

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Optima Batteries

After going through my second set of batteries since I bought the truck, I am thinking of going to Optima batteries but not sure what color top to get for the diesel. Has anyone with a diesel used these and if so, which ones did you use. Right now, I don't drive the truck as much as I used to but that will probably change when winter arrives. I will also probably look into setting them up like what Hoff did with his (i think) but definitely will be putting a batter tender on to help keep a charge. Any input will be appreciated.

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hog, I have it all fresh in my memory from the deep study I had to go thru to replace mine.
    Judging by the type of truck you have (diesel) and intentions of not driving that much, or even driving, but mostly to "keep" the reserve, I would suggest you to go with the red one, you will have that strong crank power even if your truck was stord for a while.

Some info here on Optima website.

Now, there is something to consider, all three of them, yellow, red or blue, have a pretty decent reserve capacity, the yellow being a deep cycle, has now a very similar capacity of the red one, if you barelly drive, the blue one, which is indicated to marine application would but would be a good idea too.
    Last edited by Hoffmann; 09-30-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Hoff, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I will probably look at doing a switch to where I can run off of 1 or both. I have some stuff wired directly to the batteries and I think that is what is draining them so fast so I will definitely be purchasing a battery tender. I have em on my motorcycles and love em!

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm surprised Josh didn't go with the blue ones LOL
    When it is time for me to change again I think that is the one I will go with.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceharley View Post
    I'm surprised Josh didn't go with the blue ones LOL
    When it is time for me to change again I think that is the one I will go with.
    lol you see whats written above the blue top? "MARINE & RV" I know the HD's are near the size of cruise liners when it comes to trucks but a marine battery in a truck just doesnt quite fit to me lol

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    but it would have matched your old motor...
    :
    Anthony

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    matched color wise, but matched function wise....

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Well a marine battery would match funtion wise to my truck. The truck sits for long peroids of time and sits at show's (when I ever get the time again) draining the battery and charges quickly.

The OPTIMA BlueTop battery is available as a starting or deep cycle battery for marine and RV applications and has all the valuable characteristics of its two brothers - the RedTop and YellowTop. It's perfect for boats with electric trolling motors, onboard electronics or stereo systems and RV's with “creature comforts” that tend to drain batteries quickly. The BlueTop is the battery for those who simply need a sure-starting, strong cranking, maintenance-free power source.
    Benefits and Applications:
    Dual-purpose
    Deep cycling and cranking power all packed into one battery.

Longer life
    Lasts up to 2 times longer than traditional flat-plate batteries.
    Optimal starting power
    More power in the initial 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds of the starting process than comparably rated conventional lead-acid batteries.
    Higher reserve capacity
    Constant performance quality, which keeps your battery running at the same level even as it's being discharged.
    Longer shelf-life (lower self-discharge)
    Ideal for seasonal use, fully charged it can sit unused for up to 12 months at room temperature (or below) and still start a vehicle.

Vibration resistance
    15 times more resistant to vibration than traditional lead-acid batteries.
    Leak-proof
    Mountable in almost any position.

Optima Products
    Find Battery By Vehicle
    Find a Retailer
    Stories & Testimonials
    News, Events, FAQ
    Specs & Tech
    Customer Service
    Last edited by 1niceharley; 10-01-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the help all, I put two red tops in my truck on saturday and that made the baby happy. Dang near shocked myself putting a battery in the Hummer but that is another story <BG> it was a momentary lack of reason and that 's all I got to say about that!

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    i need to replace my yellow top now after 6 years of sitting for weeks at a time, and many many months of -20 winter starts.
    Thing is costco here only sells blue and Red, and no one else has any.

I wonder why no one picks the blue one if its the same only better.

Name:

Hmmmmmm in my research i just found this
    There are 2 different Blue tops

Optima 34M Blue Top Battery: The 34M is Optima's Blue Top starter battery. Its dual posts (standard automotive top posts plus 5/16" stainless steel threaded studs) provide easy connection points. Removable carrying strap is included. The 34M is not a deep cycle battery.

Optima D34M Blue Top Battery
    : The D34M is a powerful deep cycle battery with dimensions a bit smaller than Group 24. The Optima D34M has standard automotive top posts plus 5/16" threaded stainless steel studs (also on top) for flat loop connectors.
    The D34M is at home in marine applications but this Optima Blue Top battery also is very popular for automotive uses as well as portable power. Includes a strong, comfortable, removable carrying strap.

FEATURED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Look at Kenitic Battery if your not 100% set on an Optima.

Seems like more and more people wind up replacing their Optimas after just a few short years for some reason.

Name:

well mine last 6 so i think thats good.
    I already have the billet optima holder

All costco had was the Blue D34M in stock so i guess i might be the guinea pig

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think you couldn't go wrong with that, it should work/perform as great as the one you had previously, pics are welcome...to tease Josh a little

Name:

the specs for the yellow top and the blue top and exactly the same. Only 2 batteries that are the same

Only thing is, the blue top has the wing nut connections on top also. I would need to cut these off to fit my digital terminals on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast