Thread: '05 Engine Worries...

Name: David

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

'05 Engine Worries...

2005 HD 6.0 Diesel - 70K miles
    In early Sept I found coolant level to be about a gallon low.
    This past weekend I found it to be almost a gallon low again - 6 weeks / approx 1,700 miles
    I have noticed white colored exhaust a few times in the past few weeks, particularly with the lower evening and morning air temps. Last night (approx 50 degrees) it blew white smoke for about first 3 - 4 miles and quit about the same time I noticed thermostat opened - don’t know if any connection.

Anyone experienced or heard of similar?

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    sounds like a blown head gasket. Your aren't overfilling the coolant bottle are you?? 05's had a recall to get the sticker on the coolant bottle moved to a different position lower on the bottle to avoid overfilling it. Do you see alot of white spots on your engine or under your hood??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No overfill - I think I did see the recall, though don’t remember if new decal was put in place...
    Only place I could see any coolant residue was at the base of a hose on drivers side going from radiator to what looks like thermo housing - and that wasn’t very much.

If head gasket, wouldn't I notice anything wrong related to power / performance? it seems to be running fine. I have only pulled the trailer (30") a couple of times in the last couple of months, though it seemed fine towing as well.

Decided to take it to dealer today - had a coupon for $59 oil change. I have done every 5K oil change myself, but when I went to get oil & filter this weekend it was $65...so I figured why not save $5 and 30 min of my time....

He said there was one other common possible cause for coolant loss... I guess we will wait for the call!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The oil change might indicate a problem if they check the condition of the oil, was it contaminated with coolant... I have to agree with 2manytrucks, it does sound like a head gasket issue. Good luck

Chevy Smoker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truckpilot View Post
    The oil change might indicate a problem if they check the condition of the oil, was it contaminated with coolant... I have to agree with 2manytrucks, it does sound like a head gasket issue. Good luck
    Yep I will have to agree. Easiest check is drain the oil or check the dip stick. You will be able to tell if there is coolant mixed with the oil. Hope it all gets worked out without too much out of pocket$$.

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I had that happen to mine...was EGR cooler leaking coolant into the exhaust.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just got the call - EGR & oil cooler bad. Covering under warranty. Tech said head gasket was fine = not leaking...
    Are there any telltale signs for head gasket I can look at while they are doing EGR to double check?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treadwheeler View Post
    Just got the call - EGR & oil cooler bad. Covering under warranty. Tech said head gasket was fine = not leaking...
    Are there any telltale signs for head gasket I can look at while they are doing EGR to double check?
    Excellent news, you gotta like warranties.

If you see coolant in your oil, that's a good indication of a head gasket split.

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    EXACT same things replaced on mine several months ago

JUST FOR SoFlaHarley
    Name: Adam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treadwheeler View Post
    this is the same thing that happened to me.the tech said he pressure tested the heads to make sure the gaskets were good.two days later I pumped 7 gallons of water through my motor in @10miles.the heads had to be replaced due to being over heated when the EGR cooler took a dump.If your ride over heated due to the EGR raise enough hell to at least get new head gaskets

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Exactly... they are trying to go the cheap route on your truck. Make them do the heads and see if you can pay a tech to install ARP studs (that you pay for) while they are at it. Some dealers/techs are cool with doing it if you slide them a C note.

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As already mentioned, one way to tell if you blew your headgaskets is to look for white spots on the underside of your engine hood above your coolant reservoir bottle. That's where mine were.

Another option for checking for coolant in your oil would be to take a sample of your oil and send it out to Blackstone for an analysis. Blackstone sends free sampling kits and will test your oil for roughly $20-30.

--Snake

JUST FOR SoFlaHarley
    Name: Adam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I knew my gaskets were gone when my motor sounded like a tea kettle at full song

Name: asdfasfasdf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If the truck smokes at idle the cooler is blown. If you only get smoke under heavy load the headgaskets and possibly the heads are done. I lost track how many headgaskets Ive done on 6.0's. If you have 50,000+miles on it then it needs headgaskets. Ive changed them as low as 25,000kms, depends on use/abuse. Ive also installed the ARP head studs, only time will tell if it helps, sure wont stop the coolers from crapping out.