Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help me get low

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool Please help me get low

After a year of owning my truck, i've decided where I want to go.

The truck has plenty of power for its daily driving duties. I don't think it will ever see the strip. I just want it to look absolutely killer.

I am ready to get my lowering kit, but with the vast amount of kits available, it makes my head spin. I've never lowered a vehicle before, so I don't even know where to begin.

I want to go as low as possible WITHOUT notching the frame (I will save that for when the truck gets retired). I don't care how it rides or handles, i'm not going to race it.

Can I go as low as 4/6? If not, how low can I go? And what pieces do I need to buy.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You might want to reconsider your wording... If your truck is a daily driver,

1 - I would care how it handles and rides since you have to deal with it every single day
    2 - think about where you live and the terrain. Are you going over speed bumps?
    3 - What size tire / rim combo are you running, or plan on running? That makes a difference
    4 - Do you mind having to do a 5 point turn instead of 3 point? In other words, do you mind it to rub at full turn or do you want 100% clear

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    not going to make it more than 4" out back without a c-notch. i didnt have mine in when i first lowered it and it it was terrible. its not hard to put in, cheap and makes a world of difference. im lowered 4/5 right now and it handles great and rides good too. belltech 2" springs and belltech 2" spindles up front and belltech 3" leafs and belltech 2" shackles out back. bilstiens at all four corners. good luck

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    first thing we need to know, is what rim/tire combo size are you running. You can drop a truck more on 18's than you can on 22's, or a truck with rubber bands than decent sidewall tires.

And you really don't care if its a bouncy choppy ride, or a smooth soft ride? You can go low and have either setup, so at least give us some preferences to help give you some advice.

HD150
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a JLP shackle out back on the 4" setting and my axle is RESTING about 1/4 of an inch off the bump stops. However i do have a fiberglass cover also which adds some weight. But i would say 3-4 is all youll get out back with out going crazy. Front is stock so i have no input there sorry.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    IMO, 2/4 looks great, rides great, handles OK, hauls fine (with helper-bags) and still leaves a lot for tire/wheel combos!

Slowest 03 HD n the WORLD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i had a flip kit and i was on the 2" setting on the jlp shackles and was 1" away from my bump stops....

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasGT01 View Post
    i had a flip kit and i was on the 2" setting on the jlp shackles and was 1" away from my bump stops....

Flip kit, at least 5" + JLP shackles about 2" total about 7"...

All right yours is an '03, but still, one inch from the bump stop?!?...

Unless you took the measurement when you took the pictures of your truck without the bed, bumper and whatnot...but...still...

...dude, 4" you're already bumping the frame, who would say the bump stops, they alone are 3"

I wish I could find that video of yours you posted racing at night, even on that video we could hear your truck loosing grip because the axle was hitting the frame.

Slowest 03 HD n the WORLD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well 1" from the frame.. is that better i had no bumpstops except on the passenger side.. i couldnt get to the bolt to get it off so i just cut it all the way down...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    You might want to reconsider your wording... If your truck is a daily driver,

1 - I would care how it handles and rides since you have to deal with it every single day
    2 - think about where you live and the terrain. Are you going over speed bumps?
    3 - What size tire / rim combo are you running, or plan on running? That makes a difference
    4 - Do you mind having to do a 5 point turn instead of 3 point? In other words, do you mind it to rub at full turn or do you want 100% clear
    I live in GA. Very hilly, but all back country roads. It would be rare for me to encounter speed bumps.

I am keeping the factory 18" rims and having them powdercoated. 295/45/18 tires.

When I say I don't care how it handles, what I mean is I am willing to sacrifice comfort for the looks. I don't want the truck to be a death trap by any means. And, I certainly don't want to break anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by 94slowbra View Post
    belltech 2" springs and belltech 2" spindles up front and belltech 3" leafs and belltech 2" shackles out back. bilstiens at all four corners.
    So these are the parts I need?

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HD150 View Post
    I have a JLP shackle out back on the 4" setting and my axle is RESTING about 1/4 of an inch off the bump stops. However i do have a fiberglass cover also which adds some weight. But i would say 3-4 is all youll get out back with out going crazy. Front is stock so i have no input there sorry.
    Dude, your bump stops are stock? CUT THOSE THINGS! You're going to be amazed at the difference in ride quality! The jLP shackles on the 4" setting only lower the truck 3" total. 1/4" of clearance between the bump stops is ridiculous lol

Quote Originally Posted by flat--line View Post
    I live in GA. Very hilly, but all back country roads. It would be rare for me to encounter speed bumps.

I am keeping the factory 18" rims and having them powdercoated. 295/45/18 tires.

When I say I don't care how it handles, what I mean is I am willing to sacrifice comfort for the looks. I don't want the truck to be a death trap by any means. And, I certainly don't want to break anything either.

So these are the parts I need?
    So with the hilly windy roads, i'm assuming maybe you want to stiffen it up to handle better? As I said, you don't have to sacrifice comfort for looks if you don't want to. Especially with smaller 18's, you can lower it more and have a better ride than slammed on 22's. Do you want to slam it and keep a soft factory ride, or do you want to slam it and stiffen it up and make it a corner carving machine, or do you want to slam it and still have it setup relatively decent for drag racing. All three are reasonable options, and all three will call for different suspension setups.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    So with the hilly windy roads, i'm assuming maybe you want to stiffen it up to handle better? As I said, you don't have to sacrifice comfort for looks if you don't want to. Especially with smaller 18's, you can lower it more and have a better ride than slammed on 22's. Do you want to slam it and keep a soft factory ride, or do you want to slam it and stiffen it up and make it a corner carving machine, or do you want to slam it and still have it setup relatively decent for drag racing. All three are reasonable options, and all three will call for different suspension setups.
    I don't want to carve any corners. Not into drag racing either (except from red light to red light)

Here is what I am looking to accomplish! I just need a grocery list of parts to order I guess?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    id go with the list i gave you, of course im biased because thats the same i have. rides good, handles good and looks killer. i am getting ready to switch to jlp 2-3-4 shackles out back to get it a little lower. so if i were you id start with those for the adjustability factor. get some shock extenders, not going to lower it any more but will save your shocks and make ride a little more comfortable. and seriously consider a c-notch

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flat--line View Post
    I don't want to carve any corners. Not into drag racing either (except from red light to red light)

Here is what I am looking to accomplish! I just need a grocery list of parts to order I guess?
    so if you dont' want it to handle good, and you don't want it to be setup for good 60' times, I'm assumign you want a softer factory feeling ride?

As I've said, a picture only helps half way on what you want. You can sit that low and have it setup to tear up the corners, or have it sit that low and get good 60's, or have it sit that low and ride like a stock boat.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK, finally got it all figured out!

Having a local suspension shop do the install for me. That way they can do the alignment and any custome work that may come up during the install.

The kit is a 4/6 drop from JDM. It has replacement upper and lower control arms, C-Notch, flip kit, all new shocks.

I believe I am going to be tucking my wheels by 1/2 - 1".

The price for everything (including install).....................$2350

I think it will be worth letting someone else deal with the headache. Plus, I don't even have the proper tools to do it myself.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast