Thread: .05 Makes a big difference....

Chi-Town Native
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

.05 Makes a big difference....

Yes I am blowing off a little steam but I did learn something, .05 does make a big difference. Well I bought new Hankook tires for my truck from tires-easy.com - Búsqueda de neumáticos, lets jus say I will always get my tires from this place....sweet. Well my next adventure was the oh so dreaded alignment, let me start by saying i hav a 1-2 GF drop kit, wit bilstein L spec shocks, and belltech shock extenders. Now u kno where this is heading, check at a few shops n they said they cud not do the alignment, call my last option( National Tire & Bulls@$t). Well lets jus say the first alignment wasn't even close, so today I printed off the the L spec for the alignment took them to the guy n he still got it wrong. Manager comes out n say well we r within specs and I replied specs for who? A regular F-150 n he said yes, that is why this is all wrong was my reply, well he said u r going to eat up your tires if u change the specs. Well now its time to give him the run down, I tell him about the drop kit wit the shocks n shock extenders n then he said oh, now im furious cuz they had my truck for 4 hrs n they still got it wrong. Now I hav to go n tomorrow for these guys to try n get it right this time, the truck still has a slight pull to the left, so here r the numbers:

L R
    -0.0 camber -0.4
    6.8 caster 7.5
    0.00 toe 0.04
    -0.4 cross camber
    -0.7 cross caster
    0.05 total toe
    Now do u feel my pain and this is after the guy said he can get the specs(L specs) I gave him real easy.
    Last edited by WIKID-HD; 10-25-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Lovin' it
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    According to the specs you shouldn't have a right pull, it should be pulling left, if at all. Unless the heads weren't properly calibrated and/or compensated.

Chi-Town Native
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry chupac, u r correct, the first time they did the alignment it was pulling to the right but now its pulling to left......

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If you've got Cam Bolts and Adjusters installed, it should be a breeze....or they're a bit retarded.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    even with camber bolts, they can screw it up.

I went through the same thing last year. My eyeball alignment was closer than the alignments shop job truck was SCARY at anything over 60 mph it just wanted to wander all over the place. Ponied up an extra $100 for getting it done at another shop with a hunter digital alignment rack, and they got it aligned DEAD NUTZ ON. Well worth the extra expense for the better equipment

Chi-Town Native
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So tru Josh, I am trying to find somewhere else but I've had no luck. So my search continues, I agree wit u 03_HD_F150 but as u kno, working wit shops is not an exact science. U hav to keeping searching until one shop gets it right.

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I had an alignment done when I got a new set of Yokohama Paradas. Within 13k miles the inside of the tires were so badly warn (even after 3 rotations) I had to replace them.

After I got a new set of tires, I went to get a camber kit installed. As it turns out... my camber was fine. The first place did a crap a** alignment and both of my tires were WAY off in toe.
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ford did mine a few months ago $45 special truck tracks good. Tech knew it was lowered and tweaked it accordingly.

Chi-Town Native
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm thinking I might hav to go bak to Ford....

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I know with the hunter roadforce balancing machine, you can go to their website and punch in your zip and find the closest place to you with that balancing machine. THey may have something like that for their digital alignment racks as well

Also, check out the local club section on NLOC for you. See where more of the race oriented L guys get their trucks done at. Thats where I found the alignment shop I now go to. Few L guys on DelValLO go there for their alignments, and turns out the owner of the shop and his son both own DSG 03 L's.

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Before being referred to a local Alignment, Brake and Hot Rod Shop, I called Caddy and Hummer Dealerships. Figured they had lots of experience with lowered trucks. I asked their Service Manager if I provided the spec's for my truck, could their Alignment Tech align it using the info. Well both said yes....however, I did not go that route, so no experience to report for either.

I hope you get it squared soon.

Chi-Town Native
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Still having the same problem wit the alignment, got to find a shop fast....if u kno guys in the MD/DC/VA area please giv me a shout. So i can get this problem worked out...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Did you ever get your caster right, with 6.8 on left and 7.5 on right it could cause pull to the left. I would get it lower, maybe 7.0 range on right side. If it still pulls left after that either cross your front tires if not directional or rotate them to the back and test drive.

Chi-Town Native
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No I did not I went out of town for Thanksgiving n the truck has been sitting since i got back but I am working on that this weekend. Thanks for your input...I need all i ccan get...