Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: December 2008 TOTM - Adam "Adam" Green #335

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

December 2008 TOTM - Adam "Adam" Green #335

Well, the end of the year is neigh and time for our last installment of NHTOC TOTM for 2008! For the month of December, we go “Across The Pond” to the land of Fish and Chips, and present this award to one of our English Brothers!! NHTOC is proud to present this award to Adam "Adam" Green, NHTOC member #335 and his very sweet 2003 Two-Tone Supercharged Super Crew #4276. Adam has been around for about 4 years now, ever contributing knowledge, friendship and a helping hand to his brothers and sisters at NHTOC here and abroad. With just the right amount of modifications, he has taken the old Shamu from 14.9 @ 98mph all the way to a current best of 12.934 @ 105.12 and I am sure we have not seen the best out of this truck or its owner yet!!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Mate! Congrats on a very well deserved TOTM!

Question # 1: What sparked your interests in the Harley trucks? Specifically your HD Truck?

In 2003, I was in the market for a truck to replace the Chevy S10 I owned.
    At the time I was working an oilfield rotation, working in Azerbaijan and living in England.
    I specifically wanted an F150 and at the time, there wasn’t that much choice in the UK.
    I decided to come to the USA to buy one and brought the family over to Houston where we stayed with friends for a week’s vacation. I ended up buying and exporting a 1998 Supercab with a 4.6 that fitted my budget.
    Whilst we were in Houston, we visited a few tourist attractions and went to the Houston Rodeo & Livestock Show.
    Ford Motor Co. was a major sponsor of this and in one of the exhibition halls, they had a big stand with all the current models. Pride of the stand was a Two Tone Anniversary HD. Drool!!!!
    At the time, this was way over my budget as it was a brand new truck. The sticker price was 38k and change and for me to export one to the UK would incur and additional 22% import duty plus and additional 17.5% sales tax. Given the exchange rate at the time, a new 2003 HD would have cost me approximately $75,000 on the road back home. Gulp!
    I filed it away as something on my wish list and I knew that one day I would own one.

Question # 2: Any interesting stories behind the history of vehicles you've owned leading up to the HD truck or how you got it?

Cut to 2005 and I found myself working for another company who assigned me to work back in Houston.
    I needed to find a vehicle and guess what? The 03 HD was now within my price range.
    The 98 was sold and I was on the lookout for a Shamu. I looked at a few in Houston and finding nothing suitable, ended up buying one in Dallas from a Mercedes dealer, taken in a part exchange against a 560SL.
    The price was right and the truck had 19,000 miles on it and still a whole year’s warranty.
    The only mod was a Sirius radio and tinted windows.
    I used the truck as a DD in Houston and stopped lurking on the NHTOC by joining up and becoming a paid member.
    Through the NHTOC, I became friends with SUX2BU and we raced our trucks together at Houston Raceway park. In stock form, I went 14.9 @ 98mph.
    At the end of 2006, my employer transferred me back to England. They provided me with a 20ft container to ship my personal effects back home. Well, an 03 HD just fits inside a 20ft container so back to England it went.
    Because I had owned and registered the truck abroad for longer than 6 months, I didn’t even have to pay the import taxes.

Question # 3: Give me a rough list of the mods that have been done to your truck. I know you've got a lot done, so you can just list your favorites if you'd like!

Wow, where to start. Well on the outside, I have the tinted windows and an Undercover tonneau. I’m one of those that thinks the 2003 Anniversary package was one of the nicest factory options on any truck. It really doesn’t need anything else especially on the two tone.
    Just recently, I was in an road accident with an animal. The HD bumper was destroyed.
    At this time, I took the chance to replace this with the Lightning bumper as I do prefer the look of it. Of course, the lower grille has the” Venom” mod.
    Inside, it’s just as it came from the factory with the addition of a Ford Racing column pod for the boost gauge and a Lotek dual pillar pod which houses the AEM wideband and a Pro-Comp oil pressure gauge.
    As far as the rest, I have a 6# Lower Pulley and a Lightning upper. A very good friend of mine who upgraded to a Whipple on his L gave me his old blower case which I ported myself.
    I run BR7 plugs and have a Chickenears Stage 3 Ram Air system. On the exhaust side I have a custom made 3” stainless steel system with Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats and Aeroforce mufflers ending in a L style exit.
    This year, I fitted a Snow Performance Meth Injection kit and the tuning is courtesy of Ryan at Rhynotune with a Sniper interface.
    The rear has LFP 58” long bars and at the strip I run 16”x 10” AR Baja’s with Hoosier Quick Time Pro’s.
    On the street, it’s the stock 20” wheels with Hankook tyres.

Question # 4: Tell us a little about yourself. Your other hobbies, your job,your favorite past time, whatever!

Me? On a personal level, I’m 47 years old and have been married to my lovely wife Sally for 25 years. We just celebrated our anniversary last September. We have 2 daughters, one at University and one at College. Both love the truck and ride in it whenever I’m home. No, they don’t get to drive it.
    I work for a company that manufactures oilfield equipment here in Houston. I am the Technical Manager there. My days of working on the rigs are finished.
    My hobby, as you may have guessed is Drag Racing.
    With my club back home, we get to as many events in England as we can. It’s mostly Lightning’s, HD’s and Mustangs who race and we have a great time. It’s a real family event for all of us. Most people’s wives come along too and bring the kids.
    My wife collects the timing slips, helps push the truck in the staging lanes and keeps the coffee coming. What a girl.

Question # 5: You've been a member on the site for a while now, what is one of the best things you like about the site that keeps you around?

I found the NHTOC when I was researching buying and as soon as I bought the HD, joined up.
    The NHTOC has to be one of the friendliest forums out there on the net and, of course, there’s the great wealth of knowledge that is freely shared.
    Sure, you’ve all made me spend my money on mods but you’ve saved me a bunch as well. I know from you guys what works and what doesn’t. How cool is that?

Question # 6: What is one suggestion to help make the site a better place?

You know, I think it’s just great as it is. I wouldn’t change a thing. If it ‘aint broke, don’t fix it.

Question # 7:
    This is where I normally ask about where you decided on your screen name and any specific reason for choosing it?

I don’t have much to say here. My screen name is my name. I’m an old fart, what can I say?

Question # 8: Almost at the end, what is in the future for your truck?, so what’s the next plan of attack for your trucks future?!

Some people say that you can never have too much power. Well, yes and no.
    With my current mods, my truck runs 12’s. That’s supercar performance when you look at it. Unfortunately, as we all know, the HD doesn’t come with supercar brakes or suspension.
    In all honesty, the engine has outgrown the chassis. I take the HD to the Euro SVT meet in Germany every year and running it off the clock on the Autobahn is an “interesting” experience.
    Although heart says to go with a built engine and aftermarket blower, the head says differently so a TVS kit, Bilstiens, Panhard bar and big brakes are in the trucks future
    This winter, I’ll be taking the truck off the road for the first time. The underside is getting tatty so I’ll be painting and powder coating under there to make it nice again.
    Our club in the UK has just done a group buy with J&S for their anti-knock systems. This season, 2 members lost engines when the fuel relay quit under boost. The J&S Vampire will give me peace of mind.

Question 9: Last and final question, just an open end question for if you had anything else you wanted to mention that I didn't have a question for...here's the place to go at it! Your web site link, a plug for something, etc. etc. whatever you want to throw in!

First of all, I’d like to say a big thank you to the NHTOC. Without this club, my truck wouldn’t be where it is now.
    This season, I won a National Event (2008 NASC “Late Model EFI Champ”) beating Corvettes, Mustangs and the Chrysler gang. As far as I know, I have the fastest 4 door truck in England. I’ve never been beaten by another although a friend has almost finished his twin turbo Silverado SS. Should be interesting.
    I’d also like to say thanks to BigD for his support of our European events. We have the Euro SVT meet in Germany and then come straight back to England to race. Dwight always sends us a box of NLOC and NHTOC goodies for prizes.
    I also need to plug my club and website back home which is Rebel V8 - Powered by vBulletin
    We are a bit “anything goes” on there so it’s not always safe for work if you want to look.
    I have a great bunch of friends on there and we form the “Rebel Racers” at the track.
    Last of all, thank you for making me TOTM. It’s a real honour to be picked.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats Adam. Sweet looking too!

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Beautiful truck! Well deserved!

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    sweet ride man!! thats a good looking shamu!!!

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Congrats!!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats Adam!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats Adam, nice truck

My Screename doesn't work
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats Adam!!!!!!

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Way to represent HD Trucks!! great job.

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Way to go!!!!
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!

#8658, 6/3/02
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Very Nice, Good Job!!

FHTOC member too
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Brilliant Adam!

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Cheers!!!!! Gotta love the Shamu's!!!!!