Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Troyer Upgrade for Saleen S/C Trucks

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

boost

I don't trust the factory gauges. If you changed the pulley and the intake and the tune, you should have more boost than 6#. Outside temp is a factor, humidity and so on.
    BACKIN BLACK

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yes, the 6psi reading is off the factory gauges

SS Killa
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd be willing to bet that you are receiving more than 6 lbs. The Saleen boost gauges are not all that reliable. I assume that you are running a 3.2 pulley (unless you opted for a 3.0) in which case an HD truck will see slightly higher boost than a Saleen (don't ask me why). Usually an HD truck with either the JDM or Troyer kit will see 8 lbs.; Saleen owners (that I have spoken with anyway) report anywhere from around 7-7.5 lbs. with the exact same kits. These are datalogged numbers and not off the stock gauges. I know of a few folks that have seen distorted numbers off the stock gauge.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just bought a 07 S/C with the JDM kit running 8psi, I dynoed it today and made 330whp and 370trq the air/fuel was at 12.3. I am running stock exhaust. My local for tec who built the truck was believes the factory 450 rating is way over rated. We are going to add the magnaflow set up and the 10psi pulley and see what happens. i Drove the truck all day and it only had about 30 minutes to cool down so I am sure that killed me too.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Were those numbers on a mustang dyno? If not, you need to get your tune checked. With the JDM kit and (I assume a 3.2" upper pulley), you should be making around 390ish at the wheels.

My S331 has a minimum of 30 pulls on the dyno and it never pulled that low...even when it was stock. I pulled 361 at the wheels stock and then 364 at the wheels with a troyer kit. (worst $1000 I ever spent)

Most recently (as of October 2011 at a dyno day we hosted):

Bone stock S331 with 7k miles on it...dynojet....363rwhp. That would equate to a 23 or 24% drivetrain loss...which would be accurate.

My S331 with JDM kit, 3.0 pulley, brisk plugs, 4.56 rear, longtubes, full custom exhaust, cams, and a mosaleen idler made 447rwhp with only 11 degrees of timing

S331 with troyer kit, full exhaust, mosaleen idler, 4.56 rear, and a custom dyno tune...NOT FROM TROYER.....with a good bit of timing...440rwhp

Most of us that were running the Troyer kit have now switched to JDM. The troyer kit is cheap. The tunes we received were way off. When troyer was confronted he said his dyno was the only one that was calibrated correctly. After having my truck on three different dynos and pulling less than a 10:1 AFR with a troyer tune....I switched.

We have a LOT of information on these trucks. If you need help with anything, feel free to PM ME or email me at light02atl@yahoo.com

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks AllCar, well I cam to find out the porter from the daler put 87 in the truck problem, 1, problem 2 I had a cat go bad 3 days later, which I can guess didn't help my numbers either. I just got my magnaflow 1666 exhaust and my banks torque tubes should be here tomorrow hopefully. I am going to wait to install the headers and exhaust untill ford replaces the cat, then i will make another pass and see what happens. The one question I do have is how much boost will these trucks hold. Is it safe to run 10psi safley with the right tune? If I can get the truck over 400hp as a daily driver I'll be ok with that. (for now)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 07Sleeper View Post
    Thanks AllCar, well I cam to find out the porter from the daler put 87 in the truck problem, 1, problem 2 I had a cat go bad 3 days later, which I can guess didn't help my numbers either. I just got my magnaflow 1666 exhaust and my banks torque tubes should be here tomorrow hopefully. I am going to wait to install the headers and exhaust untill ford replaces the cat, then i will make another pass and see what happens. The one question I do have is how much boost will these trucks hold. Is it safe to run 10psi safley with the right tune? If I can get the truck over 400hp as a daily driver I'll be ok with that. (for now)

I am not familiar with the magnaflow 1666 kit....or a banks torque tubes. I have never heard of either. You can run 10psi on these trucks, but its going to take a 2.8" supercharger pulley to do it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I talked to Mike Troyer, he said the the only safe way to run 10PSI was with long tune headers and true dual exhaust. He was pretty straight up about saying the stage one is the easy part, he said the nex power gains are costly and extensive if you want it to hold together as a daily driver that you can beat on when you want. He also said alot of people have had Saleen tune the computers and there tunes are crap. I learned short tube hearders on the 3v motors are pointless you won't see a single horse power, so i cancelled my short tubes and going to dyno it again witht the new cats and exhaust and tune and see where we are. keep you posted

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "Stage 2" is nothing more than a 3.0 pulley. Long tubes are pretty much required, but true dual exhaust is NOT. You can pick up a set of OBX headers for about $600 and mate them to your stock exhaust and be perfectly fine. Of course, you would need a different tune.

You wont need any kind of fuel upgrade, or dual exhaust, or anything else. You will not make 10psi with a 3.0 pulley. None of us have hit 10.0 with a 3.0 and I know 4 other people running them.

We are making great power and they are daily drivers. We beat on them whenever we want to ad no one....no one has had a problem.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah after some more advice my people hace said stick with info from JDM. I going to talk them and get a new tune a DUMP the Saleen tune, and see where I'm at. Troyer basicaly wanted me to run his headers with his exhuast set up. Gooin to talk with JDM today. Thannks again for the info. Keep you posted

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah after some more advice my people hace said stick with info from JDM. I going to talk them and get a new tune a DUMP the Saleen tune, and see where I'm at. Troyer basicaly wanted me to run his headers with his exhuast set up. Gooin to talk with JDM today. Thannks again for the info. Keep you posted
    Check us out at scoatalk.saleenclubofamerica.com. We have tons of info on these trucks, including modification data.

Yeah...troyer and the dynatech headers? Pricey stuff.

This is what works:

troyer kit and a custom dyno tune, 3.0 pulley, longtubes, 4.56 rear will net you about 440 rwhp

or

JDM kit, custom dyno tune, 3.0 pulley, longtubes, 4.56 rear, will net you about the same hp and have a little better driveability.

The reason for the driveability being better is the troyer kit bounces around when the truck idles and drives. The airflow over the MAF is not smooth and can make the truck herky jerky. Additionally, I have yet to see two troyer kits that are the same. The intake pipes are different lengths...why, I dont know.

I think troyer tried to bring a kit to market to compete with JDM, but did not do enough testing. I use to be an advocate for them....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How bad will going to a 4.56 rear kill my highway dring, she is my daily driver?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How bad will going to a 4.56 rear kill my highway dring, she is my daily driver?
    A 4.56 rear gear on the S331s IMPROVED both hwy and intown mileage. I picked up 1.5 MPG on the highway and 3-4ish in town.

Even with my mods, the 23" wheels, cams, and 4.56s, im still getting 16mpg at 75ph

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow I figured at 75mph I'd be running like 3k ?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow I figured at 75mph I'd be running like 3k ?
    Its a little under 3k

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast