Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Troyer Upgrade for Saleen S/C Trucks

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Troyer Upgrade for Saleen S/C Trucks

Harley Owners:

356 (Josh) suggested I start a new thread with this to get the information out there. I've got a 2007 HD with the Saleen S/C. I recently added a 4:56 gear, lowered the truck, and added the "stage 1" Troyer Performance package. The package includes a new air intake, tuner/3 tunes, and pulley. I ran the truck on a dyno after (didn't test before) and got 337 peak HP. I think it's faster and runs better. However, the results are not in the 375-ish range I was thinking I'd get based on feedback from Troyer and other posts. I sent the dyno results to Troyer a few days ago to get his feedback - will keep you guys posted on what he says, he may need to tweak the tune. I attached a pic of the installed kit, which looks pretty sweet, in the "Saleen SC Guys Look Here" thread (I can't attach pic again in this thread). Attached are my dyno results for the world to see. Feel free to comment or ask any questions you might have.

Thanks!

TampaHarley
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name: me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Last edited by sman113; 02-23-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sman113 View Post
    337 RWHP seems pretty low with the kit. Truckin' did a article on the truck when it first came out and they were getting 337 RWHP stock.

Here's the link: 2007 Harley Davidson Ford F150 - Sport Trucks - Specifications - Truckin Magazine

JDM has dyno'ed a little over 400 RWHP with their kit. I figured the Troyer kit would be the same.
    Good information to have. I just spoke to Troyer's shop to figure this out. Maybe the dyno was set up incorrectly? More to come...although it's exciting to think there could be an additional 50HP hiding under the hood waiting for some small tweak to bring it out.

TampaHarley

#81 Roush Stage 3
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well that seems crazy since mine was tuned there stock and got 347 at the wheels with a safe tune. Torrie of Unleashed Tuning did my tune there in FL. This was on a stock set up. No aftermarket parts at all. Our trucks Roush and Saleen SC applications should put out the same numbers and the stock pulley is the same size. Let us know what is up with that can tune????? And Mike how about making the cold air intake for the Roush? It looks awesome on the Saleen supercharger!!!
    Last edited by mustang5095; 12-03-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    it couldn't be those 4:56 gears could it.... those are way steep for stock tires.

Que Bolada!!!
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I was thinking the gears also.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I'd bring the gears up when you talk to Troyer. I'm not exactly sure how they'd affect dyno numbers at all, but it could be something. When I went from 3.55's to 4.10's, I also added a 2600 converter and went from 2.5" to 3.0" exhaust and I dropped down from 412/500 to 408/486 (YET, I went from 12.68 in the 1/4 to 12.19...dyno #'s aren't everythign!!!!!!!!!!!). The exhaust probably accounted slightly for the torque loss, but there should have been a tad hp gain, but again with swapping the gears, they could have messed with the numbers a bit from my prior pull on 3.55's, but I don't have enough dyno experience to really know if they factor in much.

The biggest difference would be what type of dyno was it? Was it a dyno jet or mustang dyno? Mustang dyno's apply a load to simulate real world conditions a bit more, so they typically show lower numbers than if it were ran on a dyno jet. Find out if its a mustang dyno, and then your numbers are probably ballpark within what it would read on a dyno jet.

JDM has dyno'ed a little over 400 RWHP with their kit. I figured the Troyer kit would be the same.

JDM uses a Dyno jet, but theirs also reads higher than most other tuners dyno jets. I'd be willing to bet the identical combo dynoed on JLP's dyno jet would read 380 hp. Its hard to compare numbers between different dynos, even of the same brand, becaues I've seen first hand on the same truck at different shops on the same brand dynos, the numbers vary by a LOT. The biggest difference would be is it a dyno jet or mustang though.

*edit* doing a little digging, it seems the dyno is another brand, but from what I've found, it looks like its a loaded dyno, which would account for lower numbers, meaning you're probably right where you want to be. Try and find a local shop with a dyno jet and I bet you're right around 375 rwhp

S & R Performance....found they use a DYNOmite Data Acquisition Computer
    http://www.sandrperformance.com/dyno.asp

Dig up the DYNOmite DAC, and although this one is AWD, it does say its a loaded dyno so I assume their 2wd version is too
    http://www.shoprevhardinc.com/DynoMi...meter-s/17.htm

and another one....
    http://www.ondemandperformance.com/equipment.php
    Last edited by Harley#356; 12-03-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Man i hope ya'll are right. 337 i was expecting to be the stock numbers. The Roush supercharger is by far a better product than the saleen twin screw. The saleen is only producing 4 lbs of boost in our trucks. The roush is producing 8 lbs with room to safely produce more. Trust me, the roush one we have would walk all over the saleen. Plus we got to keep our 5 yr 60,000 mile powertrain warranty with the Roush. If the troyer kit is producing an extra 75 rwhp, i will definitly be investing in one.

Chevy Smoker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am producing around 9 - 10 lbs of boost with the JDM kit with a 3" pulley and Long tube headers and Maggy exhaust. Just haven't got the time or money to get it tuned and dyno'ed. I do have the mail tune that came with the kit from JDM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good info 356/Josh! I'm going to call the S&R this morning and find out about the dyno to see if that's the difference. I may also try to find another shop to test it again.

WWLDMAN - it cost me $65 and about an hour to do the test, considering I spent about 4 grand to lower, gear up and trick it out, the 65 bucks was nothing. I actually went with my dad who has a 1970 Chevelle. He drove it 100 miles from Orlando and it pushed about 300 HP/400 TQ with a few carburetor tweaks.

I also spoke with Troyer's shop last night. They need the data logging to see if things are working OK. I'm trying to get that info from S&R. They had a tuner there who knew of Troyer and said the truck was running good, so my guess is the HP #'s are off because of dyno differences.

TampaHarley

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    doing a little more digging, it seems Mustang Dynos or loaded dynos typically read around 10% lower (of course depending on their loading) but its a good rough rule of thumb.

337 + 10% = 370.7 hp

I do think the saleen trucks were kinda over rated from the factory with 450 crank hp though. Even if you assume a full 20% drivetrain loss which is on the heavier side, 370.7 rwhp + 20% = 444.84 crank hp. You still aren't at the claimed factory crank hp with mods on the truck lol.

The 02-03 S/C HD's were 340 crank hp, and if both trucks are setup for 6 lbs of boost stock, you're telling me the 3V heads are worth 110 rwhp gain? For the N/A trucks when they went 2V to 3V, they only went from 260 crank hp to 300 crank hp. I could see a bit more than the 40 hp gain with a s/c, but 2-1/2 times that?
    Last edited by Harley#356; 12-04-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Name: me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Last edited by sman113; 02-23-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was told you do not reach the benefit of a twin screw until over 500 hp. I wish they would have put a roots on. I miss that whine. Is the whine alot louder with the troyer kit on now?

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I agree 450 crank is over rated but also other than the 2V to 3V head swap the 02-03 S/C HD's had roots blowers and the 07-08's have twin screw blowers. That could account for more of the horsepower difference.
    ah....news to me....I didn't realize they were twin screws

I can't imagine how lame my 2.6 KB would be at a measly 6 lbs 20+ psi baby!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 07TXHD View Post
    I was told you do not reach the benefit of a twin screw until over 500 hp. I wish they would have put a roots on. I miss that whine. Is the whine alot louder with the troyer kit on now?
    The whine is much much more noticable. I didn't really even hear it in the cab before, now you can tell there's something going on under the hood.

I spoke to the guys at S&R and they had a computer crash, don't have the recorded info of the test. Bobby, owner at S&R, felt like the dynojets were not reliable/consistent and that's why he didn't get one. I tested it out tonight on my ride home from the airport and it cranks pretty darn good and the guys at S&R think it's set up pretty safe. That works for me. If I need something better I'm gonna just ask for a ride in Josh's Harley!!

TampaHarley

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast