Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hotchkis Leafs

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hotchkis Leafs

Statement/Question #1:

I know the Hotchkis leaf springs (both 2412 and 2411) have the same spring-rate (300/in) and that the 2412 (Stnd cab) have two leafs whereas the 2411 (SCrew cab) have three leafs. I would assume that the 2411 carries a higher load-capacity than the 2412 due to the extra leaf? I don't believe this question has ever been answered ... even by Hotchkis.

Statement/Question #2:

Do the Ground Force springs carry the same spring-rate as the Hotchkis Sport Suspension springs that are included in the TVS? I don't think this one has ever been answered either.

Anyone have any definitive info?
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 01-16-2009 at 03:05 PM.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Was finally able to determine that Hotchkis 2411 does carry a higher load capacity than 2412. The 3rd leaf of the 2411 enables a whole 548# more load! Whoop-dee-doo! Both the 2411 and 2412 has the same spring-rate of just under 300.

I ordered/received the 2411's. In preparation for 2411 install, I inspected the stock leaf-pack configuration. Obviously, the stock leaf-pack carries more/thinner leafs than the Hotchkis and results in a "taller" stack. It appears the stock leaf-pack U-bolts will be WAY long for use with the Hotchkis leafs! The Hotchkis leafs did not come with replacement U-bolts. Are the stock U-bolts threaded far enough up the bolts to pull the bottom leaf-pack mounting plate up high enough onto the bolts? ... doesn't look like it. If so, I assume I can just use the stock U-bolts and cut them off after install? Are there other U-bolts that will simplify/replace U-bolt installation that I should consider? Who has done this? I want to be sure I've got all the applicable stuff ready to go before I get it up and take it all apart!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just installed my leaf from hotchkis and I used all my stock bolts
    And I used the same ubolts with no prabloms

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    OK, I will plan to use the stock U-bolts. Think I will crawl under there and take some fairly close measurements beforehand, though.

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 H-D #677 View Post
    OK, I will plan to use the stock U-bolts. Think I will crawl under there and take some fairly close measurements beforehand, though.
    I would at least grab a couple replacement U bolts before attempting the install. I have never taken them off a Harley truck, but other I have had problems with stripping them out and having them cross thread upon removal on other trucks. They are not that expensive and if you dont use them just return them.

Also after your done use a die grinder to trim the tops off the U bolts to give it the finished look. Having the excess stick out under the truck just aint baller.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lee, I don't think my BellTech leafs are much different than the Hotchkis leafs (at least dimensionally). I used the OEM U bolts OK. Here is my install thread: http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/suspens...lled-pics.html

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    OK, thnx. Gonna change 'em out this weekend. After measuring, I think the original U-bolts will be fine (close). I will get additional new U-bolts just to be safe. If the originals work, there will definitely be a bunch that need to be "cut-off/die-grinded" for it to be "clean" and not "mess" with future difficulty of the TB's. Appreciate thoughts/ideas.

Here Hemi, Hemi, Hemi...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hmmm, these Hotchkis leaves...for a drop in ride height, better handling, or both. Let us know how they ride.

As for mine, I still have the original Mexico built spring packs under mine. Yes, Mexico is painted on the pack.
    2003 Blown Hog; 2007 F250 Harley-Davidson;1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport (5.0); 1987 Mustang LX 5.0L/5spd; 1999 'Burban; 1947 Willys CJ-2A, 1996 Ford Ranger Xcab, 2012 Surtrac Car hauler, 2006 Cedar River Silverback travel trailer: Honestly officer, it doesn't matter how fast I was going, if you want to catch me...make an appointment.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Hotchkis leafs are for both. Around a 2.5" drop (probably 3.5" on 03's), and increased handling with the stiffer springs.

PiMpInDaSoUtH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    Hotchkis leafs are for both. Around a 2.5" drop (probably 3.5" on 03's), and increased handling with the stiffer springs.
    IM CONFUSED.....
    I THOUGHT hotchkis was good about their ratings. and the kit i just ordered is specifically the 02-03 harley

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    what do you mean good about their ratings?

The drop amounts?

The 03's sit 1" higher in the rear than the 00-02's because there's an extra leaf for higher payload capacity. The hotchkis leafs for the 00-03 HD's are the same. So since your 03 sits an inch higher than an 02 because the leafs, a set of leafs that drop a 02 by 2.5" will drop a 03 by 3.5" in the rear.

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Look at the rear heights this way:

02 HD ----- Stock Height 19.5" ------ Hotchkis Lowered Height ---17"

03 HD ----- Stock Height 20.5" ------ Hotchkis Lowered Height ---17"

PiMpInDaSoUtH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ok, does the hotchkis kit come with new/shorter bump stop>? where would i be able to get some if not?

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I don't believe they do. You can get them from most auto part stores. Energysuspension sells quite a few.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How much

How much are the springs$

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast