Thread: Storing tires and rims

2008 Monotone #33
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Storing tires and rims

I recently got a new replacement set of stock rims with mounted tires for my '08. They arrived wrapped in plastic. I need to store them for a while, probably at least a year. What do ya'all think is the best way to store them?

Leave them wrapped in plastic or unwrapped?

Standing upright or laid down on the side wall?

On the floor, on a rack, or suspended in air, with the rim supporting the weight?

Anything else I should consider when storing them?

2008 F150 FX2 LOADED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    I recently got a new replacement set of stock rims with mounted tires for my '08. They arrived wrapped in plastic. I need to store them for a while, probably at least a year. What do ya'all think is the best way to store them?

Leave them wrapped in plastic or unwrapped?

Standing upright or laid down on the side wall?

On the floor, on a rack, or suspended in air, with the rim supporting the weight?

Anything else I should consider when storing them?
    I would leave them wrapped up and in the box. Laying down is fine. I would just add those little bags of whatever that stuff is called that absorbs moisture; the little bags that normally say "DO NOT EAT" on them. That should keep any extra moisture out!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I'd consider maybe opening them up and hitting the sidewalls with a vinyl protectant/tire protectant. Something like 303 aerospace, zaino tire shine, or vinylex. Something thats not silicone based. Help keep the tires from drying out. Also maybe throw a coat of wax on them while the rims are out. Storing them laid down is fine like harly4d said. Even standing up, probably wouldn't hurt. Not really going to get much flat spotting with just the weight of the rim itself.