Thread: Where's the love? ... '08 AWD Suspension ?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where's the love? ... '08 AWD Suspension ?

Ok - I'll come clean.

I went to the "light" side. I sold my pristine '02 HD for an '08 Limited. Call me a "traitor to the breed" if you must, but I saw ALL THAT PEARL and got overwhelmed. I needed an AWD and initially looked for a 'dover 2008 H-D but the deal I made was "fair".

Back to topic. Since the "Limited" is just an HD in white, I'm struggling with suspension. I want to do the full Roush setup but I noticed that there are no posts discussing it. Makes me think it it isn't what it's cracked up to be. Here is my delimma:

1) I really ... REALLY ... liked the ride height of my '02 (R.I.P. from my wax-cloth .. sniff, sniff)

2) From all my searches, I can't find a suspension package that will provide the drop to a stock '02 - especially for my AWD. I've seen the pics posted so far - it's just freakin' AWESOME what you guys have done!

3) Is there any AWD owners out there that have the Roush 4x4 full kit intalled - how do you like it?

4) The Roush kit is close (2/3) but I'm thinking along the lines of 3/4 or a 3/5 kit?

All comments are appreciated - even comments towards me jumping ;)

Maxxer
    Last edited by vmaxxer; 02-19-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not a Roush, but my '08 AWD has the DJM 3/5 drop, love it. Here's a pic.

FEATURED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Question, can the AWD's be "Lifted" at all??

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krix330cic(NJ) View Post
    Question, can the AWD's be "Lifted" at all??
    i have the '08 AWD and i was told it could be lifted , that its just harder caz of the independent suspension

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    whatever route you end up going, post lots of pics! I love that white!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Roush kit is on ... both ride and handling are improved! BUT .....

Not low enough ... now looking at what I can do to get another 1' up front and 1-2" in the back. The rear is pretty easy - Bell Tech adjustable shackles (1-2") and I'm in business. Front is gonna be harder as most spindles drop a minimum of 2" (total of 4" when combined with the Roush Kit). Gonna call Bell Tech on Monday and discuss options.

Once its done I'll post up some pics. Got a good deal on Saleen s331 23" rims in chrome and they should be mounted next week.

Maxxer

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    not too familiar with the gen 3 front setups, but can you just cut a 1/2 coil off for that extra 1" drop?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a 06 AWD with a Ground Force #9966 kit, 2" Ft-3.5" Rr, I looked at Roush, DJM and GF, came down to $$ and ease of installation to me. I'm very happy with the ride & handling. Also running 305/35-24"s

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    not too familiar with the gen 3 front setups, but can you just cut a 1/2 coil off for that extra 1" drop?
    I would think you can always cut coils from any spring. The problem is that cutting springs is a BFH method and really shouldn't be done. It changes the entire dynamic of the spring and all that engineering goes up in oxy or plasma torch flames **poof**

Looks like I may need to do a combination of parts for a 3" drop and maintain the Roush front setup. Do a 2" control arm/spindle drop and add a Bell Tech 1" spring spacer.

Still looking at options, I appreciate all the feedback

Maxxer

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaxxer View Post
    I would think you can always cut coils from any spring. The problem is that cutting springs is a BFH method and really shouldn't be done. It changes the entire dynamic of the spring and all that engineering goes up in oxy or plasma torch flames **poof**
    Close, but no cigar

If the springs are progressivly wound you should never cut them. Or if the spring diameter winds closer at the top/bottom to fit into a pocket, you also shouldn't cut them. But if they springs are wound at the same diameter, and are a linear rate spring, its 100% perfectly fine to cut them and its not a "BFH" method at all. It will not change the spring dynamic at all if cut properly, and the dynamic and engineering of the spring is still retained. The spring rate increases minutely for cutting 1/2 coil or even a full coil, but nothing noticibly at all. Stock L coils are like a 650 lb spring rate. Hotchkis are like 950 and Ruslow are 1000. Cutting a stock L coil may make it 675-700 tops. You're still well below the closest aftermarket spring, and still very near the stock spring rate.

Now how you cut them does make a big difference. Doing it with a torch and heating them WILL alter the spring properties. Cutting it with a cutoff wheel and keeping the coil cool will not alter the spring properties at all, and the increased spring rate is purely a function of the decreased spring height. The spring constant stays the same.

I've done quite a few sets of cut coils in these trucks, and they all have ridden great. When done correctly, its a great way to fine tune a drop.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    Close, but no cigar
    You may be right ... just not something I would do.

Drive safe,
    Maxxer
    Last edited by vmaxxer; 03-26-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truckpilot View Post
    Not a Roush, but my '08 AWD has the DJM 3/5 drop, love it. Here's a pic.

looks good but i think it needs to be 2" lower anyone make a kit lower