Thread: Add stripe first..then polish..or vise versa??

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Add stripe first..then polish..or vise versa??

not sure what to do first. I finally scored a set of OEM flames for my 02. The problem I have here is that there are some paint imperfections (light scratches, water spots and the like) I wanted to break out my polisher and try to get my paint back to (as much as possible) tip top shape. So my question is should I add the stripes then do the polishing or should I first take care of the paint and THEN add the stripes? Also is there something I need to do to prep the paint BEFORE I add the stripes? Thanks in advance. BTW I'm planning on removing the camper shell SOON!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know you're pry getting tired of the current look, but from the pic, it looks pretty clean without the stripes. Are you going with a differnt color than the OEM Orange/red? nevermind, just saw the post again....

Maybe Adam (expert on detailing) or Josh ( trial and error modding guinea pig) can chime in... I think you should get the prep area nice and clean, take out the oxidation / imperfections, degrease it..then lay the stripes. let the stripes cure for XX amount of days, then wax the whole area to build up some protective coating on everything.

my .02, leave the camper shell if it serves a purpose. it gives the HD a different look; yours..

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huot5 View Post

Maybe Adam (expert on detailing) or Josh ( trial and error modding guinea pig) can chime in... I think you should get the prep area nice and clean, take out the oxidation / imperfections, degrease it..then lay the stripes. let the stripes cure for XX amount of days, then wax the whole area to build up some protective coating on everything.

my .02, leave the camper shell if it serves a purpose. it gives the HD a different look; yours..
    I agree with Hout5. Polish and get the paint good first that way you don't chance hurting the stripe.
    Plus I would love to have the room a Camper shell provides Sometimes. Back in the day my dad built a pulley system in the garage that let him take off his camper shell by him self and it heald the shell until needed again. You might look at doing something like that so you can have it when needed but take it off for general running around (and looks).

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The body shop that put mine on cleaned where the stripe was going with wax/grease remover 1st.. then said wait like a few days to wax over that "after putting stripe on" .... It sucked waxing with the stripe and took forever cleaning it nice nice... I wouldn't wax or polish 1st heck no it won't stick for chit or very long IMO

just my

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceharley View Post
    I agree with Hout5. Polish and get the paint good first that way you don't chance hurting the stripe.
    Plus I would love to have the room a Camper shell provides Sometimes. Back in the day my dad built a pulley system in the garage that let him take off his camper shell by him self and it heald the shell until needed again. You might look at doing something like that so you can have it when needed but take it off for general running around (and looks).

I used to have that same pulley set up when I had one of those luggage shells that tied on top of the luggage rack on my Subaru Outback. It worked great! Unfortunately in this new house it's a 2 story house so that means that my garage ceiling isn't that high. I like the way it looks but I'd like to take it off every once in a while too!

Ok so what materials do I need to gather up to get my paint polished and looking good??

JUST FOR SoFlaHarley
    Name: Adam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    this is what I would recommend:
    wash
    clay
    wash
    polish with a product similar to meguiar's #82 Meguiar's Direct BSP Swirl Free Polish -
    then check if the ghost from the original flames are gone. If not repeat the polish with product at @3500rpm and check again.
    when your satisfied that your paint is up to your standards go ahead and install your flames. you can wax anytime after you get them on. there is no need to actually wax the flames unless you like to run your fingernail around the edge to remove all the buildup. I usually tape them off @1/4 in all the way around and save yourself some headache.

Adam

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    like said above, polish the paint first to remove any swirls, marks, etc. and get it in as prime condition as possible. Using the right products the polishing & compounding won't leave a finish on the paint like wax. Then use a degreaser or prep to wipe the surface down before installing the stripe. Personally I'd install the stripes wet as well vs. dry just so its easier to align them.

Should be fine to wax over them the next day. I always wax over my pinstripes, it does help preserve the vinyl stripe a bit more. My 00 was 8 years old when I removed the OEM stripes and the truck sat outside 24/7/365. Only about 4 of those 8 years were with a car cover. Well the stripes peeled right off in one giant piece as if they were still in brand new condition. I've done pinstripes on older vehicles that weren't regularly waxed and pulling the stripe is a PITA with it coming off in 1" pieces LoL! It is more tedious cleaning out the edge, but I just use my fingernail in the MF rag to go along the edge. Using a polish that doesn't build up easy or dry white is a help too like Zaino.

Goodluck!