Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Fixed my a/c problem.......but

#8658, 6/3/02
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenramos View Post
    Man this forum is amazing thanks for all the member that take their time to post the fixes for your average DIY like myself saving us tons of money and countless hours, just got mine done went to Lowes and picked up the O rings and it took about half hr to do and NOW A/C only on the vents Whooo Whoooooo lol thanks guys
    Glad it helped you out!
    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Name: Ruben Ramos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just did this. BTW the o ring number is 007 bought them in oreillys. My O rings looked in tact none were cracked but I guess they weren't sealing correctly.

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts

Junior Boost Lover
    Name: Sean

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    I gotta do this I guess. Mine is switching to defrost only on the MAX setting.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SR81 View Post
    I gotta do this I guess. Mine is switching to defrost only on the MAX setting.
    Yup that's how mine started then got worse. That YouTube video is pretty spot on.

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    My EATC crapped out on my road trip in May. Last weekend SoCalWaite and I knocked it out. Ryan's swapped EATC o-rings before so it took no time at all to replace them.

Junior Boost Lover

I will go check the parts store today.

Junior Boost Lover

Picked up 6 seals today. May try to tackle it tomorrow pending weather

Name: Benny

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Could this issue also be the blend door????

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Rod View Post
    I'm not going to waste time rewriting the original instruction because they could not be better written, so I have added images to help those that are on the fence doing this simple job.

I know others have revived their EATCs by swapping in the vacuum solenoid assembly from other Ford products, but I decided to dig a bit deeper. The problem was an o-ring inside one of the EATC solenoids. Total cost to fix the problem- 'Bout 25 cents, and a couple hours of my time.

Replacing the o-rings requires disassembly of the solenoids, but that's really not that hard to do, if one has reasonably good mechanical aptitude. But first, make sure they hold vacuum when not energized. Connect a hose to the center vacuum port (where the black tube was connected) and suck it.
    It should hold vacuum. If it doesn't, the following fix probably isn't for you.

Start by removing the housing around the Radio/Climate Control by pulling on the two AC vents. It will come off fairly easy as it is only held by pressure clips. There are four T-20 screws holding the EATC module in place. Once they are removed you will need to wiggle the module out of the hole and past the clips for the housing.

The hose assembly is held in place with two 10mm speed nuts. On mine the top middle port did not have a hose connected but I guess this is normal.

The solenoid assembly comes off the EATC module by unscrewing the two T-20 Torx screws on the back side of the module.

Pivot the rear of the assembly up, and disengage the tabs at the front of
    the module. Disconnect the solenoid connector.

Lay the solenoid assembly on it's back, and remove the 10 screws holding the solenoids and plenum strap to the plastic frame. At the wiring end of each solenoid, you'll see two metal tabs folded over, that hold the solenoid coil and armature to the solenoid frame.

Straighten these tabs and then carefully pull out the armature, while watching you don't lose the spring or plunger that are inside. Note the o-ring on the armature. That's what we're after.

Next, slide the coil off the end of the plenum tube, and then pinch the ends of the solenoid frame together to release it from the plenum. Once the solenoid is all apart, fit the armature back into the end of the plenum tube to check that the o-ring has a good snug fit. If it does, clean the inside of
    the tube, and reassemble the solenoid. You can replace the o-ring if you like, but if it fits well, there's no need.

Make sure you pay attention to the screw flanges on the solenoid frame. Pinch the end of the frame together to fit it back onto the plenum. The spacer that goes at the plenum end of the solenoid has the inside diameter undercut, and four grooves. The undercut end goes toward the plenum, and
    you'll see four ribs at the base of the plenum tube that mate with the four grooves in the spacer.

The armature slides back on next, followed by the plunger, and then the spring. (The flat end of the plunger goes into the hole first, if you missed how it came out.) Use a bit of dielectric grease on the o-ring, (I used Nylog) but do not use any oil or anything on the plunger. Make sure the tip of the
    armature where the plunger seals against it, is clean and shiny. Don't get any dielectric grease on the tip of the armature. Clean and dry is what you want here. Slide the armature back into the end of the solenoid, and while pressing everything back together, fold the metal tabs back over.

Repeat this for each of the four solenoids. On mine, the one that was leaking was for the floor vent door (red hose). It was obvious when I got to that one. I experienced the same thing. The seals were hard and the ones that were leaking very loose. The armature came out much easier than the others, and when I test-fitted the armature back into the plenum tube,
    it was a much looser fit.

You might be tempted to only replace the O-ring on the leaking solenoid, and leave it at that. Don't. (Guilty as charged, yer honor...) Do them all the first time, or you'll be back in there again.
    Great HOW TO, I attempted once to do this on my own and got as far as taking the EATC unit out flipped it over and saw all the small pieces got scared and put it back in lol. I want to attempt one more time this weekend for sure but how can I see the pictures above? for some odd reason or another I can not see them says error....?

'03 Shamu/Build #04441

Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BENNY832 View Post
    Great HOW TO, I attempted once to do this on my own and got as far as taking the EATC unit out flipped it over and saw all the small pieces got scared and put it back in lol. I want to attempt one more time this weekend for sure but how can I see the pictures above? for some odd reason or another I can not see them says error....?
    I run into that sometimes myself with old threads. A lot of gentlemen have spent countless hours gathering info and photos for their "how to's" just to be incomplete now;( For us new guys, these old how to photos would really help.
    JBA Coffee & Cars 06/12/2016

Name: BRIAN

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    Ive been told the forum crashed at one time so all the photos were wiped out

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Wonder if he still has the photos hmmm

Name: Allen

Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
    I did a very hasty google search and found this thread. I didn't get a chance to review it but it should be a great supplement to reference.

http://www.f150hub.com/maintenance/eatc.html

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast