Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Been busy ZOOP sealing!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Post Been busy ZOOP sealing!

I love bling but I cannot STAND polishing billet aluminum parts! Well now with the polished lips on my bogarts, the polished 2.6 KB, and coming soon the polished sheetmetal plenum, I've finally had enough and bought the Zoop Seal kit off Summit. Heard lots of good things about it so giving it a shot.

Its VERY easy to use, but the instructions are a bit unclear. You polish your parts with your own polish to the shine you want. Then there's a wash solution you mix with water to clean the parts from any residue. After they're dry you wipe on the sealant and let it dry. After that you use the zoop polish to polish out any impurities/cloudiness that may appear in the sealant. Well there's the confusing part. It just says apply the polish after the sealant is completely dry to the touch. If it streaks its not dry. Well after about 1/2 hour the sealant isn't streaky but its tacky. Then after about 2 hours its not tacky any more but its soft (dry to the touch though). I've been waiting til its not tacky before I use the zoop polish, but you can see a clear film polish off. I'm not sure if this is the actual sealant coming off, or if its like a wax where you wipe the film off and just a super fine film you cant see is left. I tried searching online to see if more people posted on various sites about more tips & tricks, but they must have recently changed the formula. The older zoop seal was a 2 part formula.

Anyway, I've done some underhood billet, and my bogarts. I'll probably call Zoop this week to find out about the polishing part, if I should wait maybe a day so the sealer is hardened enough the clear film doesnt polish off and just any impurities (ie. dust stuck in the sealant) will come off. Or if it is fine to continue doing it like I have been for when I zoop my 2.6 and sheetmetal plenum next weekend.

I'll post up more tips/tricks once I get it all sorted out. Anyway, some PICS!

Just a reminder, zoop doesn't make the parts shinier or polish them, it just seals the shine you have from oxidizing up and dulling and should last up to 2 years. So to rejuvinate some of my 6-7 year old billet underhood pieces I got the buffer & compound kit off summit for my cheapie bench grinder and brought the pieces back to life. They were polished by hand with mothers billet polish, but the high speed & compound made a world of difference!

Battery bracket polished, MAF plate unpolished

left side polished by hand, right side polished by buffer

nothing like cheap $40 harbor freight bench grinder and $30 summit compound wheels & compound bars for a cheap DIY polishing setup LoL!

billet goodies like new again! now they won't stand out like a sore thumb when I order nice new billet caps lol

all zoop sealed away...

bogarts all polished up and sealed as well! Cleaned the white lettering up too with some bleech white. (WARNING...that stuff INSTANTLY oxidizes aluminum! I had to repolish the bogart lips after cleaning the sidewalls of the bogarts )

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice work !

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Damn dude... That looks insanely good!

I really really need to show some love to billet parts, but its just to much damned work, LOL

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Josh great write up. Can't wait to see the final details and a How-to! Everything looks great. I was going to send my stuff out for chroming but this might be the way I should go (price is a whole lot better than chrome). Thanks and let us know what Zoop says.

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    Nice work Josh! Ive heard nothing but great things about Zoop seal.

The bleche white is brutal on the wheels, on my old truck, I used to use a piece of cardboard and bend it a bit, and use that to block the spray from hitting the wheels.

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow, good job man!!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceharley View Post
    Josh great write up. Can't wait to see the final details and a How-to! Everything looks great. I was going to send my stuff out for chroming but this might be the way I should go (price is a whole lot better than chrome). Thanks and let us know what Zoop says.
    Yeah I was about to do the same. Was pricing out getting all the billet stuff under the hood chromed so I'd never have to mess with it again. Was pretty pricey lol. The Zoop Seal Jr kit was $80, and so far I've done that underhood billet & my bogarts and I've got about 2/3-3/4 of the sealant left. By the time I do my IC tank and 2.6 KB and plenum I'll still have about half left. If I call up and they say I need to do otherwise with the polish step after the sealant I'll just redo the pieces I already did and I'll still have plenty left over lol

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    Nice work Josh! Ive heard nothing but great things about Zoop seal.

The bleche white is brutal on the wheels, on my old truck, I used to use a piece of cardboard and bend it a bit, and use that to block the spray from hitting the wheels.

Yeah hopefully I won't have to use it again for a while. Next time they need cleaning I'll probably try a mr. clean eraser and degreaser or something and just scrub the lettering themselves.

El Presidente
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Still can't see anything that's hosted over at (letter after K and letter after Q).

I'm sure it looks good though.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you try talking with bgstew about how to go about fixing that?

If NHTOC had a gallery from the get-go I'd be using a NHTOC one, but with having all my pics there since before the NHTOC gallery existed, its just become habbit to host them there lol. Plus I like their gallery setup a bit better.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    nice job where can one purchase billet goodies?

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonharley View Post
    The best place I have found. billet and they are a SV on here.

Josh,
    How much you charge me if I send you all of my Billet and you pollish and zoop seal everything? LOL

sdetree1
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    nice i been wanting to know if that zoop was for real looks. great got try some

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonharley View Post
    As said above, chickenears is a great vendor to get billet goodies from! UPR Products is another one for some interior bling.

Quote Originally Posted by 1niceharley View Post
    The best place I have found. billet and they are a SV on here.

Josh,
    How much you charge me if I send you all of my Billet and you pollish and zoop seal everything? LOL
    haha how about you buy me the billet-cf combo pieces from chickenears, and I"ll send you my zooped billet pieces LoL!

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    so now that the zoop has been on there for a while, how is it holding up?

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    ha I've been meaning to post an update.

Hyde's been sitting for quite some time now. I've put less than 500 miles on it since the spring, heck maybe all year. Now before water would always drip in and land on the fusebox lid and stain the billet cover with water spots, which would require intensive PITA buffing with abrasives to get the hard spots off. With the zoop seal on there, it wipes away with QD! I never zooped my JLP IC tank yet, or my radiator shroud billet piece. From sitting all spring/summer through all the different weather, those two pieces dulled up pretty good. I had to neverdull/mothers polish those up. The KB, plenum, and rest of the underhood billet? A quick detail and it was blinging as bright as ever

The bogarts have only seen use on Thursday (just the rears), so since I zooped those, they haven't really seen much use. I'll be able to report on those at the end of the season, but so far, so good!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast