Thread: Diesel Noise Reduction

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Diesel Noise Reduction

Is it possible to run something like an additive that reduces the amount of dieseling noise from the engine? I myself dont mind it at all but I sometime use a drive throught at resturaunts and am getting really tired of turning off the engine all the time just to talk to them. Any ideas would be appreciated and I will try them all and post my results. I have an 04, 6.0 with turbo. Thanks.

El Capitan
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's just the life of owning a diesel. It gets worse when you put exhaust and intake on it.
    Rusty
    2006 F250 DSG HD
    Black 2003 #00023 - SOLD

R.I.P Blake "Fuzion" Finnell

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    yep....them little speakers just can't handle the typical diesel noise. If you run 2 stroke oil in it , it calms it down a little, but nothing will get rid of it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not really looking to get rid of it. I love the noise myself. Just looking to be a little more people friendly I guess. As soon as I put the exhaust on this is all going out the window anyhow cause no one will be able to hear me talk. LOL. Thanks for the input.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The majority of the diesel "chatter" is the injectors. Leaving the tip of the injector, it is not uncommon for injection pressures to be in excess of 20,000psi. Combine those pressures with an open/close cycle that is measured in microseconds (millionths of a second), and you get that characteristic diesel "chatter".

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deluxe05 View Post
    The majority of the diesel "chatter" is the injectors. Leaving the tip of the injector, it is not uncommon for injection pressures to be in excess of 20,000psi. Combine those pressures with an open/close cycle that is measured in microseconds (millionths of a second), and you get that characteristic diesel "chatter".
    Incorrect....

The noise is caused by the sudden temperature and pressure change, has nothing to due with the injectors.

El Capitan
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley350 View Post
    Incorrect....

The noise is caused by the sudden temperature and pressure change, has nothing to due with the injectors.
    That's not right at all. Otherwise, diesel's would be louder in the winter than in the summer. But they're not.
    The newer diesel engines are quieter because of the higher pressure injectors.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I glossed over technical details, but the characteristic "diesel rattle" really is an effect caused by the injection system. The rapidity of the injectors firing highly pressurized fuel into the cylinder causes a pressure wave which creates said noise.

Think of it this way: Compare the 6.0L PSD to the 5.4L. The PSD has injectors pushing in excess of 20,000 PSI while the injectors in the 5.4L are probably unlikely to see anything beyond 22-24 PSI. That's a huge difference.

Engine designers have been able to partially mitigate this pressure wave by doing things like pilot or pre-injection, indirect injection, and a myriad of other tweaks to the injection system & timing which is how/why each new generation of diesel motors are a little bit quieter than previous generations.
    Last edited by Deluxe05; 07-19-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Dogg View Post
    That's not right at all. Otherwise, diesel's would be louder in the winter than in the summer. But they're not.
    The newer diesel engines are quieter because of the higher pressure injectors.

"""""Sudden increase in pressure and temperature causes the distinctive diesel 'knock' or 'clatter'""""""

C&P From my text books and Goggle......

Diesel knock is that clacky noise that diesel engines have, this is why:

The fuel on a diesel is injected into the cylinder as the piston is approaching TDC and before maximum compression has been reached. Therefore the burning charge is creating pressure and also being compressed at the same time hence the characteristic diesel knock, just like "pinking" or pre-ignition on a petrol engine which can be caused by advanced ignition timing.

Very early diesel engine were all direct injection and diesel knock was very pronounced. Later engines had a precombustion chamber in the cylinder head this allowed the the flame front to be more advanced as it entered the main combustion chamber. If you look at the piston crown of the Citroen XUD engine there is a shaped cut out to promote swirl as the burning charge leaves the precombustion camber to improve combustion and further reduce knock

more.....

(′dē·zəl ′näk)

(mechanical engineering) A combustion knock caused when the delayed period of ignition is long so that a large quantity of atomized fuel accumulates in the combustion chamber; when combustion occurs, the sudden high pressure resulting from the accumulated fuel causes diesel knock.

more.....

Engine knocking
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Knocking is more or less unavoidable in diesel engines, where fuel is injected into highly compressed air towards the end of the compression stroke. There is a short lag between the fuel being injected and combustion starting. By this time there is already a quantity of fuel in the combustion chamber which will ignite first in areas of greater oxygen density prior to the combustion of the complete charge. """"This sudden increase in pressure and temperature causes the distinctive diesel 'knock' or 'clatter'"""", some of which must be allowed for in the engine design. Careful design of the combustion chamber, piston crown and cylinder head can reduce knocking greatly, and modern engines using electronic common rail injection have lower levels of knock because high pressue causes a more even fuel burn. Engines using indirect injection generally have lower levels of knock than direct injection engine, due to the greater dispersal of oxygen in the combustion chamber and lower injection pressures providing a more complete mixing of fuel and air.
    Last edited by Harley350; 08-03-2009 at 08:51 AM.