Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Long Crank

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long Crank

Ok so for the first time last night my truck had some trouble starting. I waited for the glow light-light to go out and went to crank it, and it just didn't want to turn over, tried it again same problem but it turned over. Then no more problems starting it up and again tonight I had the same issue. The issue just started, and it doesn't happen all the time I go to start it. Theres no check engine lights, smoke, or loss of power the truck has 33.500 miles. Any of you guys have an idea whats causing it? Maybe I've just not been paying attention and giving the plugs enough time to warm.

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    batteries going out?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They are just a little over a year old, I had to have Ford put new ones in like a week after I bought the truck.

Another member of the BOC
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am thinking battery as well. I would get the battery tested.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    • Alternator may not be charging like it should
    • One or the other of the batteries may be dying prematurely
    • May be a short somewhere in the electrical

1. I would suggest getting a multimeter out & start doing some tests.
    2. Pull your alternator & take it into one of the auto parts stores that can throw your alternator on a test bench & run it through its paces.
    3. Take your truck into aforementioned auto parts store & have them check the batteries.

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My experience is if your not in near freezing temps not letting the glow plugs warm up completely shouldnt make that big of a difference on starting.

We had a truck come in recently that had a problem with not starting due to low oil pressure. Cant remember exactly what they called it... I want to say a oil pressure check valve. The oil system wasnt staying pressurized after you shut the truck off.

90% of the problems we see with powerstrokes is oil related. As Im sure the people on here know that whole motor is run off oil pressure and just changing the oil makes a huge difference if not solves the problem half the time.

I would test oil pressure on startup and go from there.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've been waiting a few seconds after the glow plug light goes out to start it and haven't had the problem. If it starts doing it again I'll test the oil pressure. Thanks for the help guys!

Name: asdfasfasdf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A simple test to check the charging system is to use a multimeter. Note that the truck will not show a charge until the glowplugs are turned off (which has nothing to do with the glowplug light being on). After the glowplugs are off the charging system comes on-line. Also the FICM needs at least 8 volts to enable FICM SYNC or the truck wont run. Finally if you are discharging or undercharging, the FICM which is a voltage amplifier, will work overtime to produce the 48V the injectors need to function and you will damage the ($$$$$) FICM. Dont ignore the problem it could cost you.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well the truck had to get towed to the dealership. I'm thinking 1 of 3 things, Fuel Pump, HPOP, or FICM. Big fail. At least its under warrenty still.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I went back to Ford to close my sunroof and figured I'd try and start it.... It started. So I'll be getting a call from Ford tomorrow telling me they didn't have a problem and that I should go to hell. Any tips on what I can say to them?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fireharley33 View Post
    I went back to Ford to close my sunroof and figured I'd try and start it.... It started. So I'll be getting a call from Ford tomorrow telling me they didn't have a problem and that I should go to hell. Any tips on what I can say to them?
    If there is an iternal FICM performance fault there will be a DTC P0611 stored in memory. A P2263 is another option for a low ICP during cranking. Even if there isnt a code I would (as a ford tech) do an air pressure test on the high pressure oil system going under the assumption the customer has better things to do than bring there truck to me for a bogus concern. He will probably find a leak even if it starts.

P.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ya a leak was found, the STC Fittings were cracked. Also the dummy plug O-Rings in the Fuel Injection Rail were found to be messed up as well. All is fixed, however its really kinda made me question the realibility of the truck in general. They had it for 2 days testing it and the like.

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you have figure they have to take the cab off to do almost anything to the engine so there is atleast a day in taking the truck apart.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvillefinest View Post
    you have figure they have to take the cab off to do almost anything to the engine so there is atleast a day in taking the truck apart.
    I take the cab off to do heads or engine only - the 6.4 is a different story. The STC kit takes about 4 hours if that to install. The dummy plugs another couple hours.

As for reliability, yes question it. I have an F150 Harley for a reason. As much as I like the F250 and the way a 6.0 runs, drives, sounds, I cant justify buying one even though I can fix it somewhat inexpensively. I can do nothing to prevent being stranded other than replacing every internal o-ring probably annually and carrying a spare pre-programmed FICM and scan tool in the console. The newest STC block will not fail again, the dummy plugs will as will the D-rings in the injectors. The head gaskets will fail, rust forms on the deck and heads, lifting the head and allowing pressure to creep across to the coolant passages on a bone-stock 6.0. Power tunes simply lift the heads and create the same effect. The EGR cooler and Oil cooler can fail, cant be prevented either other than preventitve replacement. If I had a 6.0 I would have the diesel extended warranty only to save my wallet but still wont prevent a break-down. As the other diesel tech said at work once, "I wouldnt drive a 6.0 to the grocery store let alone take it on a trip". Ill be trailering one of my cars down to NH the end of August for a meet which is around 600miles. My F150 will be doing the hauling, I would never trust a 6.0 for that.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ya, I'm not suprised. I haven't turned over my Mustang in 6 months, but I feel more confident that with a jump start and with old gas in the tank I could make it farther than with the truck. Its a shame they sure do look nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast