Thread: Installing a keyless ignition system - anyone with some advice?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Installing a keyless ignition system - anyone with some advice?

I just bought a keyless ignition system, and wonder if anyone done this before? I have a few questions:

Hookup is straight forward with ignition,accessories, and a push button for the starter, but what about the wheel lock? I have three options:

1. Remove it, which is what I am leaning towards
    2. Use a key every time for it, which defeats the purpose with why I am doing this
    3. Use a soleniod, hooked up to a relay, maybe on accessory on or so

Any ideas anyone?

BTW, I bought this version:
    Keyless Ignition Systems
    Keyless Ignition & Push Button Start from Digital Guard Dawg

There are some interesting boat versions with keypads for 49 bucks, but I wanted to try a safer first...

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by Anders; 08-18-2009 at 06:13 PM.
    2000/2009 Ford Excursion "Harley Edition" http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/new-mem...ar-harley.html
    2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8
    2003 BMW X5
    HD F-150 2003 - gone

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    your going to need other pieces. there are some bypass pieces etc. I used to be able to look it up online but since SoundAdvice died our account with directechs.com has also died.

IF IF IF IF...I remember correctly a 556UW (type it into google) is a bypass your going to need. Its a universal type bypass because i dont think they make the one that is specific to our trucks anymore. I know i got one of the last ones in Jacksonville FL. But the 556UW will work but again if i remember correctly you have the leave you key hidden in the dash because of the chip in the key. The EX may be different.

Could be way off but the system still looks like a remote starter setup just like a normal alarm. So thats what im basing my info off of. Good Luck.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvillefinest View Post
    your going to need other pieces. there are some bypass pieces etc. I used to be able to look it up online but since SoundAdvice died our account with directechs.com has also died.

IF IF IF IF...I remember correctly a 556UW (type it into google) is a bypass your going to need. Its a universal type bypass because i dont think they make the one that is specific to our trucks anymore. I know i got one of the last ones in Jacksonville FL. But the 556UW will work but again if i remember correctly you have the leave you key hidden in the dash because of the chip in the key. The EX may be different.

Could be way off but the system still looks like a remote starter setup just like a normal alarm. So thats what im basing my info off of. Good Luck.
    Yes, you are correct 555SW is the Ford version. I just disabled the PATS anyway. The system looks like a remote starter. I wonder why it list price is so much higher, maybe market based pricing. I paid 50 bucks for it, and would probably have gone the remote start option if I had to pay full price.
    Last edited by Anders; 08-19-2009 at 08:41 AM.

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i was thinking the same exact thing....why would you pay that much for that when you can get a remote start alarm for the same price

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    just keep in mind the PATS is a very good safety system, and why you don't see many f150's stolen like older superduties without the PATS, so you're losing that with disabling it. The only up side you have is if a theif is educated on what types of vehicles have the PATS system, hopefully they'd skip over yours if it was a target if they just assumed it still had PATS

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    as lone as you have both keys, you can purchase a third key, cut it to match the other two, program it yourself, then cut the metal portion off and have it hidden like the remote start systems do. PATS is still functional. then you can keypad or push button start AFTER the alarm system is disabled.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huot5 View Post
    as lone as you have both keys, you can purchase a third key, cut it to match the other two, program it yourself, then cut the metal portion off and have it hidden like the remote start systems do. PATS is still functional. then you can keypad or push button start AFTER the alarm system is disabled.
    How is PATS still functional? Yes its still working, but its bypassed, so you may as well just turn it off.

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    How is PATS still functional? Yes its still working, but its bypassed, so you may as well just turn it off.
    Josh, you're right. the remote start does have a "bypass" module (which is what the programmed key is for). but if the ignition switch doesn't have a key in it and as soon as you step on the brake or take it out of park, the truck shuts off. In theory , if a thief can overcome those three obstacles plus disabling the alarm system, then he should be able to drive away..
    I don't know if the Autopage system has another defeat mechanism, but that's what insurance is for.

IIRC, OhMyHog has a Ford GT push button start, but he has to turn his ignition switch to get it to work.

on the wife's Mitsu Outlander, as soon as the key fob is within 2-3 feet of the ignition switch, you can turn the SUV on and drive away. with that said, I have driven without the key even being on me. that's what happened when we got to the mall and she went inside the store and I realized she had the fob in her purse. I wouldn''t turn the SUV off. I drove around for abit , till she made it back.

Last edited by huot5; 08-19-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Josh, you're right. the remote start does have a "bypass" module (which is what the programmed key is for). but if the ignition switch doesn't have a key in it and as soon as you step on the brake or take it out of park, the truck shuts off. In theory , if a thief can overcome those three obstacles plus disabling the alarm system, then he should be able to drive away..
    I don't know if the Autopage system has another defeat mechanism, but that's what insurance is for.

IIRC, OhMyHog has a Ford GT push button start, but he has to turn his ignition switch to get it to work.

on the wife's Mitsu Outlander, as soon as the key fob is within 2-3 feet of the ignition switch, you can turn the SUV on and drive away. with that said, I have driven without the key even being on me. that's what happened when we got to the mall and she went inside the store and I realized she had the fob in her purse. I wouldn''t turn the SUV off. I drove around for abit , till she made it back.

This will be interesting and re-learning a new behavior for sure.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    It would be cool if it worked in proximity. Does anybody know if the Ford's can do that? Obviously nothing is hooked up to the key when its in the alarm module bypss, so maybe its possible to just carry the key in your pocket and thats good enough I'll have to try getting a spare key cut for my 00 and see if it runs on that key unprogrammed. I need a second key anyway (just sucks I only got 1 with the truck and the dealer is going to have to program the 2nd!)

And yes a theif can disable the alarm or really know his wiring to bypass the brake switch setup so it doesn't die when the brake is pressed to put the truck in gear, but you're taking it to a new level. An alarm without remote start is the safest setup, followed by an alarm with the interim pats bypass for remote starting but with the safety checks to interrup running. To have the key in the truck all the time setup to bypass the pats all the time for the pushbutton is no different than just disabling it all together.

This is getting interesting though. If the Ford's will work with the key still in your pocket and satisfy the PATS, and if an easy way is found to disable the steering lock (the PATS has been so effective I believe they're doing away with the steering lock on newer models anyway), then I'd be pretty interested in this push button start setup as well.

In that case though, you still would need to turn the ignition cylinder forward to activate the accessories, ect., so you wouldn't even need the push button, you could just fire the truck up with no key at all just by twisting the cylinder as long as the latch was disabled somehow.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I use my 2000 HD very little and the battery kept going dead because of non use. I took it to a local show and they put a toggle cut off switch in a remote place which made it impossible to start even with a key. I told them that was not what I was after, so they added a button switch that acts as if the battery was disconnected. Now I have two switches if needed plus an alarm. I usually will push the button which disconnects the battery and then manually lock the doors. Of course the alarm doesn't work, but it cannot be hot wired either. If I am going to gone for any length of time, I will turn both switches off. Better than an alarm any time, unless I am close by where I can hear.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    This issue has been addressed before. Anyone who has installed a sophisticated electronics system that accommodates 6-9 outputs (outputs are different from channels) such as required for completely shaved vehicles (check with Krix or myself) that control many functions, you will learn that the PATS becomes a secondary back-up slave to the primary control system. This is the case for ANY vehicle!

That is, if the PATS "do-nut" is removed from under the steering column (PATS is nothing more than a proximity switch) and a chip from one of your programmed keys is removed and relocated somewhere inside the cab? ... then when the security system is armed, the PATS is enabled. If the security system (alarm) is breached (as with break-in) the PATS remains enabled. Even if a thief yanks the steering column lock out with a dent-puller to facilitate functionality of the steering wheel/trans shift mechanisms, the PATS system remains enabled and will not allow the vehicle to start/drive. It will need to be towed to steal it (always back-in to parking spots). Further, try and have the very most qualified MECP find a corresponding PATS chip (less than 1/3 the size of your little fingernail) somewhere inside your vehicle! Ha! … if a thief can’t disable/take-off within 60-90 seconds? … they are not going to! Any MECP will tell you the same thing!

This method of installation can also be deployed with typical/standard 3-channel alarm/security systems.
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 01-05-2010 at 03:21 AM.

cbrittingham
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So I have a crazy idea. If PATS truly is proximity, is it able to be relocated? The sensor I mean. You could then relocate it to somplace like under the console. Then you can simply set your keys in the console and push the start engine button. Presto. No key needed, but still safe. Just throwing it out there as a possibility.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

cbrittingham
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    It would be cool if it worked in proximity. Does anybody know if the Ford's can do that? Obviously nothing is hooked up to the key when its in the alarm module bypss, so maybe its possible to just carry the key in your pocket and thats good enough I'll have to try getting a spare key cut for my 00 and see if it runs on that key unprogrammed. I need a second key anyway (just sucks I only got 1 with the truck and the dealer is going to have to program the 2nd!)

And yes a theif can disable the alarm or really know his wiring to bypass the brake switch setup so it doesn't die when the brake is pressed to put the truck in gear, but you're taking it to a new level. An alarm without remote start is the safest setup, followed by an alarm with the interim pats bypass for remote starting but with the safety checks to interrup running. To have the key in the truck all the time setup to bypass the pats all the time for the pushbutton is no different than just disabling it all together.

This is getting interesting though. If the Ford's will work with the key still in your pocket and satisfy the PATS, and if an easy way is found to disable the steering lock (the PATS has been so effective I believe they're doing away with the steering lock on newer models anyway), then I'd be pretty interested in this push button start setup as well.

In that case though, you still would need to turn the ignition cylinder forward to activate the accessories, ect., so you wouldn't even need the push button, you could just fire the truck up with no key at all just by twisting the cylinder as long as the latch was disabled somehow.
    If you test the wire for pos voltage when the accessories are turned on, then rewire the entire assembly to a momentary switch and a push button. This way there is a way to use the accessories as well as cut the engine off. It would however turn off all the cab lights because there is no "key in the ignition". Small price to pay for awesome gadgetry.

I'm going to tackle this when I get home from deployment. I hope I don't fry my circuits... I'm just still working on the plan of attack for the PATS system...