Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Truck is surging/bucking...

Name: me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angry Truck is surging/bucking...

Last edited by sman113; 02-23-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just a wild guess, but most modern computer controlled vehicles (read: after about 1993) will reset the ECM (the "brains" in your ride) after you disconnect the battery (or remove the ECM fuse).
    With a "closed loop system" (which yours is)....it takes a few miles of "normal" driving for the computer to "relearn" the optimum Air/fuel ratio and timing parameters.....

The old drill after hooking up the battery used to be: get it up to normal operating temp...shut off... restart and let it IDLE for 10 minutes (DON"T REV!!!...just idle - you will hear the RPM go up & down a little a few times as it sets itself)......shut it off for 15 minutes, and then just drive it normally for about 10 miles.....that established the baseline, and after that...it would adjust itself to the way it was driven. The Dealer should have done this after they replaced the battery anyway..... at least they used too....

At least that's the way it is for my 2000 HD.....and was the same for other cars/trucks I've had since OBD III came into effect...... I don't think it's changed that much......but I could be wrong.....

One other thing to check... get under the hood & rev the engine a couple of times to see if you can hear any unusual sucking or popping sounds...it wouldn't be the first time that a ham-handed mechanic accidentally pulled off a vacuum line....... that's bitten me more than once over the years (especially when the ham-handed mechanic was ME!)

I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I will chime in with other things to look for...but those are things that I have run into personally...and might be a start.

Good luck....
    Last edited by ddmau; 08-30-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    These SUPER CHARGED things don't like low fuel to begin with and you have proved by filling up that that is not the problem. As for the computer, the tune should not have been affected due to no juice. It should remain the same and just clear the learning mode back to (0). That generally makes mine run better. Could be moisture on the coil, bad coil, bad plug or the vac. hose. Have you plugged your tuner up to see if you have any codes?
    BACKIN BLACK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

??????

Did you try to reprogram the JDM tune prior to stripping your stuff? If it is running fine now, it sounds like something in the tune changed back to like a default mode. Did you take the cables off prior to setting the factory tune?
    They say the tune should not change due to the loss of power. I had an issue one time and thought it was the program had changed. The truck would start missing @ 4000 rpms in all gears but would run on out to 120 mph fine. I had a problem, had no codes. I took the cable off, let it sit for 10 min. and reprogrammed the tune and the thing ran fine. I was told it would take a long time for the ECM to completely power down and even then the program should be un harmed. I called Troyer and he told me the tune should always stay the same unless you change it. Electrical stuff does strange things in my world so anything is possible.

GOOD LUCK!!

TWIZM
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Damn hopefully what BACKIN BLACK suggested will work for you. If not I'd call JDM because oviously its something in the computer? Did you have the stock tune or JDM tune when you replaced the battery? I heard you should always set the truck back to stock before you disconnect the battery, I dont know why lol but thats just what I've heard?

Hope your problem gets fixed soon! Let us know what happen.

Take it easy...

GunzNSkoal...

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    its gotta be the spark pluhs my friend has a Saleen331 and his truck did the same thing ran fine till 3000-3500 rpms then ran like crap JDM in NJ sells spark plugs for your truck for like 112 bucks

I would start with the plugs for sure....Good Luck and let us know what happens!

-553-558 KB 2.6 14lbs
    -BOSS330 Built

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GunzNSkoal View Post
    Damn hopefully what BACKIN BLACK suggested will work for you. If not I'd call JDM because oviously its something in the computer? Did you have the stock tune or JDM tune when you replaced the battery? I heard you should always set the truck back to stock before you disconnect the battery, I dont know why lol but thats just what I've heard?

Hope your problem gets fixed soon! Let us know what happen.

Take it easy...

GunzNSkoal...
    no reason to put it back to stock to disconnect the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Black N Blown View Post
    its gotta be the spark pluhs my friend has a Saleen331 and his truck did the same thing ran fine till 3000-3500 rpms then ran like crap JDM in NJ sells spark plugs for your truck for like 112 bucks

I would start with the plugs for sure....Good Luck and let us know what happens!
    if you never did plugs from the start with upping the boost, it'd be a good idea. you could be getting spark blowout causing the studdering. You can always load the tune, keep the stock pulley on it boost wise, and drive it and see how it acts with the performance tune and stock boost.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Last edited by sman113; 02-23-2011 at 10:13 AM.

TWIZM
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Did you figure out the problem?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TWIZM
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Truck still running good?

Was it hard to install the plugs?

GunzNSkoal...

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Woohoo!! Glad to hear your back up and running strong!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast