Thread: Trailer wiring

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trailer wiring

Has anybody "adapted" the original trailer sockets too our normal 7 pin socket?
    Does anybody have a wiring diagram that explains the two standard sockets, I have a 7 flat pin socket with a 4 pin socket along side.

And on a more general note do we buy our bits from over the pond or are there any UK based suppliers that can source parts at reasonable price?
    Thanks in advance
    Col

On The Wrong East Coast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Col,

I got mine converted by the same place that supplied the Uk spec tow hitch.

As to other parts what are you after? ost of the normal sevice parts can be had from UK stockists (the oil filter is the same from the V6 Mondeo and Explorer)....if you're after performance parts then use one of the sponsors on here.

If you want to pick the brains of more Harley/ lightning owners who are based in the UK then pop over to Rebel V8 - Powered by vBulletin.

I am sure Adam ver there (EnglishAdam on here ) will be able to go into the wiring in more detail.

All the best

KevF

Over The Pond
    Name:

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Hello

If you hook a standard UK trailer socket up to the original sockets, you will still have combines brake/turn signals.

Is your truck standard or have the rear lights been converted to UK spec?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the replies,
    Adam, as far as I know the rear lights are standard with the reverse lights being used as turn signals, I guess this would mean that I need to splice in to the feeds at the rear of the lamps?

Kev, I was looking for oil&fuel filters/brake pads just general consumables really, but I need to source some bilstiens shocks sooner rather than later as the truck tends to bounce a little more than I would like!
    I know I can get them shipped over but just thought I'd explore the options closer to home first.
    Cheers
    Col

On The Wrong East Coast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Col,

For consumables, I get my stuff from Malcolm at US Autocare...U S Autocare

Kev

Over The Pond
    Name:

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MACCA UK View Post
    Thanks for the replies,
    Adam, as far as I know the rear lights are standard with the reverse lights being used as turn signals, I guess this would mean that I need to splice in to the feeds at the rear of the lamps?

Col
    Col, in that case, the lights are not "standard" as in how they came from the factory. They have been modified for use in the UK to make it legal.
    This means that the standard Ford wiring diagram will be no help. There aren't too many ways that you can change the wiring but everyone has a different style.
    Your best bet (if you want to add the trailer socket yourself) will be to find the place at the rear of the loom where the changes have been made and tap the cable for the UK 7 pin socket there.

I'll be at Santa Pod on Sept 19th along with a few other HD's & Lightnings from Rebel-V8 so if you want to make it along to there, I can take a look at it and give you some practical advice.