Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Broken Hotchkis Leafs

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lenny, where were you a couple of days ago? No worries, thanks for the offer, but I got a set from Stillen and I'm finally back on the road as of today.

Everything seems ok. These Beltechs didn't drop the rear as much as the Hotchkis leafs. I'm sitting at 17" from the center of the wheel to the fender flare (was at 15.75"). It may come down a little after it "settles" in, but it won't be anywhere near what it was before.

Kind of strange though, the LFP traction bars pretty much lined up perfectly when everything was back together and full weight was on the back. One side slid right in, the other was about a 1/16th off, but still "screwed" in.

I've got a set of Beltech shackles, I guess I'll have to spend another weekend to get it back to where it was before. Looking thru some old posts, it looks like they will need to be modified to use the holes other than the first position. Just out of curiosity, anyone know how much drop for each "hole position" on the shackles? I need to go another 1.25" to get it back to where it was before this whole debaucle.

-stumo

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stumo View Post
    Lenny, where were you a couple of days ago? No worries, thanks for the offer, but I got a set from Stillen and I'm finally back on the road as of today.

Everything seems ok. These Beltechs didn't drop the rear as much as the Hotchkis leafs. I'm sitting at 17" from the center of the wheel to the fender flare (was at 15.75"). It may come down a little after it "settles" in, but it won't be anywhere near what it was before.

Kind of strange though, the LFP traction bars pretty much lined up perfectly when everything was back together and full weight was on the back. One side slid right in, the other was about a 1/16th off, but still "screwed" in.

I've got a set of Beltech shackles, I guess I'll have to spend another weekend to get it back to where it was before. Looking thru some old posts, it looks like they will need to be modified to use the holes other than the first position. Just out of curiosity, anyone know how much drop for each "hole position" on the shackles? I need to go another 1.25" to get it back to where it was before this whole debaucle.

-stumo
    I have the BT leafs on my 02. They settled at 16-1/2" W/O a spare tire. Started at 17" immediately following install. See my post here when I did the BT install: http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/suspens...lled-pics.html
    If you increase the drop anymore via shackels you will likely need to C notch & would definately bind your T-bars due to the additional drop.
    I would not advise the shackels at this time,... let her settle. You'll drop another 1/2" with a little driving. I would suggest removing just the bars out off the TB assembly & let the truck settle & then try to install the bars. If you go to the BT 1-2" shackel I would remove the bars again drive it & then try to install the bars again to check for a pre-loaded condition. These checks should be done with the truck sitting on level ground. If you are using BT 1-2" shackels, the outer hole is 2" (gives about 1-1/2" drop).

Check your T-Bars and make sure they do not become pre-loaded after settling.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey BBU, yeah that sounds like good advice regarding leaving the TBs off for now (although I'm already sick and tired of spending the days on my back in the driveway).

I'll probably end up putting the BT Shackles on to get the extra 1.75" to 1.25" once it settles into place. I do have a full size spare, a trailer hitch and a Speedstur Top, so maybe it'll drop a little more than 16.5"?

Not sure if I've got the same BT shackles you have, I think they've got 4 sets of holes? I'll check in the morning. Thanks for all the info!

Oh yeah, I do have a C-Notch, so no worries there.

-stumo

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey BBU, yeah that sounds like good advice regarding leaving the TBs off for now (although I'm already sick and tired of spending the days on my back in the driveway).

I'll probably end up putting the BT Shackles on to get the extra 1.75" to 1.25" once it settles into place. I do have a full size spare, a trailer hitch and a Speedstur Top, so maybe it'll drop a little more than 16.5"?

Not sure if I've got the same BT shackles you have, I think they've got 4 sets of holes? I'll check in the morning. Thanks for all the info!

Oh yeah, I do have a C-Notch, so no worries there.

-stumo
    Hey Stu,
    If you are notched you should be good togo. I have the same aftermarket gear as you (Gaylord, hitch,..) I'm running OEM shackels as I am not notched.
    Our drops should be about the same until you add the shackels. Here are some pic's of my truck: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
    Unfortunately I'm selling her,... I already miss her & she's still in my garage
    Last edited by Blu Buy U; 11-23-2009 at 02:45 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey BBU, linky-no-worky. It always sux when you gotta sell one of your vehicles. I feel for ya bro! Gonna make it to the GTG planned after Turkey Day in Dublin?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey BBU, linky-no-worky. It always sux when you gotta sell one of your vehicles. I feel for ya bro! Gonna make it to the GTG planned after Turkey Day in Dublin?
    Can't make it,.. I work shift work in Richmond for Chevron (Operations Coordinator). Would be fun though!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    There's only one model of belltech shackles out there. And only 2 positions they can go in. The 1" hole provides around 0.75" net drop, and the 2" hole provides around 1.5" net drop.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    356, thanks for the info on the shackles.
    I tried searching for the post on the required modification to them for using the 1" hole. Couldn't find it. I know I saw it here somewhere, a while ago. Anyone know which post or how much needs to be trimmed in order for it to work?

Actually, out of curiosity, why is Beltech selling them if they need to be trimmed in order to work on the second hole location. Do they not know about it?

-stumo

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    356, thanks for the info on the shackles.
    I tried searching for the post on the required modification to them for using the 1" hole. Couldn't find it. I know I saw it here somewhere, a while ago. Anyone know which post or how much needs to be trimmed in order for it to work?

Actually, out of curiosity, why is Beltech selling them if they need to be trimmed in order to work on the second hole location. Do they not know about it?

-stumo
    Stumo, that was Josh himself that posted pics of the grinded shackle, but it was supposed to grind to fit the Hotchkis, I don't know if Belltech leaf has the same issue.

I have that pic, but it's saved in my other PC, if he doesn't post it up until tomorrow, I post it for you.

BTW- The Hotchkis is still here for ya, in case you decide to return the one you bought.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    You have not, obviously, had to deal with Belltech CS. It's all good ... you will (eventually) get taken care of!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The belltech shackles do have to be trimmed to use the second hole and for use with Belltech springs. I trimed out about 1/2" measure in the center at most and it took all of about 5 minutes with an angle grinder and cut-off wheel.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    lol thats funny belltech shackles need to be trimmed with the 1" setting when used with belltech leafs, guess they don't plan on you using the two together

For my hotchkis leafs, the leaf was too thick to fit on the 1" setting in the shackle. The leafs in those are thicker than stock since the hotchkis only has 2-3 leafs where stock is like 5. It's pretty easy to do though, basically the back side of the shackle, the piece connecting the two sides is curved upwards towards the bolt holes. This binds on the face of the thicker leafs. You just need to grind to square this section off and open up the clearance on the back side of the shackle behind the leaf. Once you stick it up in place you'll easily see what I mean. Hopefully hoff can post that pic today cuz idk where i've got it uploaded.

Just a fyi, the same thing needs to be done on fiberglass leafs, since the leaf eyes are aluminum and pretty thick.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All-thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I know how to modify the shackles per all of the above.
    One other thing I noticed. The stock shackle is mounted so that the wall that needs trimming on the Belltech is mounted towards the front. In the Belltech instructions, their shackle is mounted with the wall that needs trimming towards the rear. Should I mount it like the stock shackle or like the instructions indicate, does it matter?

stumo....clueless

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All-thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I know how to modify the shackles per all of the above.
    One other thing I noticed. The stock shackle is mounted so that the wall that needs trimming on the Belltech is mounted towards the front. In the Belltech instructions, their shackle is mounted with the wall that needs trimming towards the rear. Should I mount it like the stock shackle or like the instructions indicate, does it matter?

stumo....clueless
    Mount it like OEM (Stock)

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    The OEM shackle is built a little different than the aftermarket ones. It's not quite an exact open C channel like the aftermarkets.

Mount the belltechs with the open side forward, the belltech logo solid side aft, like their instructions show. This minimizes the amount you need to grind out of the shackle to install it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast