Thread: Putting Real Harley Davidson pipes on truck

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Putting Real Harley Davidson pipes on truck

has anyone put real pipes as a dual exhaust setup on their harley truck

is this possible?? and would it look good. ?

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    what do you mean, a set of tips off an actual harley motorcycle?

Not sure how you'd go about making that work, or even still, whats the most you'd end up with, a little harley emblem on the tips maybe? IMO I think its one of thsoe details that would go unnoticed, looks just as good as a catback with nice SS tips, and probably not fit as good as a catback made to fit these trucks trying to rig a motorcycle exhaust on a truck

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Me and a friend put a set along the side just to see what it looked like and it ended up looking completely out of place. If your looking for the hd logo on the tip than just have the hd logo burned on its around $35 a tip.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    what about a set of long side pipes! 70s style ftl

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've been thinking of something like the ole "Lakes Pipes" running along both sides of the truck to replace the factory nerf bars for quite some time..... They might look & sound really good. There are a number of long glasspacks/steelpacks available from Magnaflow, and other vendors that have similar muffler arrangements. You'd just have to come up with a set of nice chromed covers (not really that hard to fabricate: some 4 inch pipe cut in half or 3/4 would do nicely)

Another option I was thinking about would be to cut off the end of the nerf bars and put similar diameter chromed tips flush at the end. You'd have to make up some custom formed pipes running from a regular Magnaflow DIDO/SIDO out to the tips...the left side might be a problem though. Another thought would be to just run a set of true duals down the side (with some kind of X-pipe or H-pipe up front). It probably wouldn't do much for performance, but it would definitely be something different.......

If I had access to a muffler shop and a bunch of mandrel-bent curved pipes to weld up, I could probably come up with something in an afternoon....
    Hmmmm, now you've got me really thinking.....

Homepage: http://home.roadrunner.com/~rbihari/

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks" ~ Robert A. Heinlein

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I guess what I meant was I have a road king and put supertrapp pipes on. I thought maybe it would look cool if I put the stock pipes on the truck. I would use the whole pipe and then connect it to two exhaust pipes and then to the muffler. It would be dual exhaust out the back but when you look under it you would see complete harley pipes. just a thought, and I am not sure if would even work.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wsstone77 View Post
    I guess what I meant was I have a road king and put supertrapp pipes on. I thought maybe it would look cool if I put the stock pipes on the truck. I would use the whole pipe and then connect it to two exhaust pipes and then to the muffler. It would be dual exhaust out the back but when you look under it you would see complete Harley pipes. just a thought, and I am not sure if would even work.
    The biggest issue would be exhaust pipe diameter. Stock Harley pipes are only 1 3/4 inch in diameter....stock pipes on the truck are 2.5 inch diameter.....
    Even if you welded the HD (Bike) mufflers on, you'd be strangling your engine....

Exhaust flow is everything on a SC engine....more air in & out = more power (as long as you add the correct amount of fuel).

Hell.... I even run 2.5 inch open pipes on the bike in my signature!

BTW: There are all kinds of extended exhaust tips out there (up 20+ inches long and up to about 8 inches in diameter) : slash cuts, down-turned, rolled edge, etc... you'd be better off just running a set of those out the back of the truck if that's the look you're after.
    Last edited by ddmau; 11-19-2009 at 02:50 PM.

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The "lake pipe" mod has been discussed a few times. I don't think anyone has actually done it.

I think it would look good.
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    the biggest thing with the lake pipes is you're either adding in two 180* bends if you want to still run cats and some sort of a muffler, since you'll have to go back with that, then 180* up back to the front, then 180* back into the nurf/lake pipe. Or if you do ditch all the cats and get a aftermarket lake pipe setup with internal muffler, you're pretty much coming straight off the manifold and out into the front of the nurf. I think even my long tubes collectors are beyond the front of my nurfs, so that'd even take 180's if you had LT's. Just not a very practical or easy setup to do on our trucks, and would take a LOT of custom work to accomplish.

As for tips out the rear, didn't that style go out when the year 2000 came around? Rear duals out from under the bumper belong on beatup dodge trucks and rusted out chevys Lightning style exit is the new style!

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I did some crappy photoshop mock ups when this was brought up before. Here is the thread...

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/2000-20...r-too-far.html

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    wow that looks ugly

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    there was pics posted a while back of i think a 00 HD that had lake pipes. It was like the vette/shelby style where the header primaries could be seen at the front end going into the lake pipe collector, then the tip at the back side. But they were fake. it looked pretty cool though from a distance, but again, either you're running no cats and whatever muffler would fit inside the lake pipe, or you're running two 180's and talk about exhaust restrictions!