Thread: mass air flow wire dirty

Mikey
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question mass air flow wire dirty

Has anyone had any problems with the K&N air filter causing problems with the MAF. I have followed the instructions to the letter, but still have perf. problems after about a week after cleaning the air filter. The gas mileage goes down, sluggish off the line.
    I went to an electronics store and purchase some electronics cleaner and sprayed the mess out of the MAF wire!!!!!...wow what difference this made. I'm just wondering if I'm F'd up or is there something to this.
    Mikey

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nah...you just used too much oil when you cleaned/re-oiled your K&N.....pretty common problem. You don't need to saturate the gauze, just make it a little pink....

Most Auto Parts stores carry a spray cleaner specifically for Mass Air-Fuel Sensors ... just look in the area where the carb cleaners are.....

Homepage: http://home.roadrunner.com/~rbihari/

"Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks" ~ Robert A. Heinlein

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    yep its VERY easy to over-oil those filters. You want to barely spray it with the oil and let it soak in. Then go back an hour later and see if it needs more. It'll wick in and saturate a lot quicker than you'd think. Then always before you install it wipe it down really good outside AND inside with a clean rag, because a lot of the oil just sits on the surface of the mesh wire around the gauze, and that easily sucks right through and can get on the MAF.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I always oiled mine,and put a rag,or paper towel inside(cone) or under it(panel) to wick the excess out.Ive never had problems with a oily MAF.

CRC makes a good MAF cleaner.