Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hidden Antenna

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hidden Antenna

Hidden antennas typically result in significant degradation of signal capture. When I shaved the antenna on my truck, I decided to install a "Tune Trapper" (often used behind fairings on bikes). It is a dipole/no-ground antenna that can be placed anywhere. It is tuned to optimize the 88-108MHz FM band and works pretty darn good. I can get 90% of that range. The AM reception (as with all hidden antennas) leaves a lot to be desired. It is much better than other crappy hiddens I have used in the past (Dakota Digital, etc) but I am wondering if anyone might know of anything better for AM. The Tune Trapper gets about 65-70% of AM. I was thinking about installing a "Y-type" Motorola connector and installing an additional AM antenna but I think that will end-up degrading the FM band. I have heard of some folks taking a regular 'ol OE mast-antenna and mounting it (front-to-back) somewhere along the chassis rail and that it worked fine. I have never done this nor know of anyone who has. Anybody have any ideas/experience/input?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can't exactly help you on aftermarket hidden antennas, but the one that came standard on my '06 Expedition works very well with both AM and FM. I don't know if it can be had separately, or if it is embedded in the rear quarter window. Haven't been back there to check it out.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Thnx! I think the '06+ carried the "in-shield" antennae ... I know my '08 does. If you look closely at the top of the windshield, I think you will probably be able to see the wires running though the black/shaded part of the glass. I believe the '06+ shield has the antenna connector embedded into the lower right corner of the glass.

I'm tryin' to identify something hidden that might help AM for an old 2002 model year. I just wish the '04+ years of glass would still fit the older, round/smooth body-style.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    i thought about shaving my antenna completely on my truck since i never listen to the radio in it anyways. its either ipod or sirus

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I actually drive around with the antenna off on my truck, cuz I always just listen to my Zune podcasts of Preston & Steve, and with the FM tuner it works better without the antenna cuz it's not trying to pick up broadcasted stations and the FM tuner is the strongest signal

Works out nice though, cuz I don't have to put it on & off all the time for the truck cover, i just leave it off I need to find one of those stubby antenna caps.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    stubby ant. caps? do tell more!!!

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpr103 View Post
    stubby ant. caps? do tell more!!!
    I think he's talking about this:

It comes free when you buy this hidden antenna

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    haven't looked into them yet. Wonder if that stubby can thread into the stock setup and still function without the hidden kit?

I've seen like mini 2" antennas before. My covers always wear through there 1st so they could stick right through, and not have to fish an 18" antenna through the cover lol

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    That antenna appears to be the same as the amplified Dakota Digital hidden antenna. I have tried to contact them to obtain AM/FM freq specs but have not heard anything back. I am somewhat apprehensive about any hidden that is amplified as doing so is typically aimed at FM band. No antenna needs to be amplified with exception of maybe a CB antenna. Think I will experiment with original mast mounted to chassis rail and see how that works out. I suspect AM will be enhanced but result in worse FM. Then I think I will try the "Y' connector approach in combo with the Tune Trapper.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got that 12in harley antenna and it works nice

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts

UPR Antenna Delete

Here's what I have. I like it.

UPR Antenna Delete

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 H-D #677 View Post
    That antenna appears to be the same as the amplified Dakota Digital hidden antenna. I have tried to contact them to obtain AM/FM freq specs but have not heard anything back. I am somewhat apprehensive about any hidden that is amplified as doing so is typically aimed at FM band. No antenna needs to be amplified with exception of maybe a CB antenna. Think I will experiment with original mast mounted to chassis rail and see how that works out. I suspect AM will be enhanced but result in worse FM. Then I think I will try the "Y' connector approach in combo with the Tune Trapper.
    A lot of street rodders mount a mast style antenna to a frame rail under the running boards, it works ok for FM but not on AM, to get good AM the mast has to be in "line of sight", the same reason you dont get good AM signals under an overpass or in a building.
    Years ago someone made a glass antenna that stuck to the inside of a windshield or back glass, it was just a wire held on with clear tape but it worked good.

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    haven't looked into them yet. Wonder if that stubby can thread into the stock setup and still function without the hidden kit?
    I haven't tried AM or FM with the UPR antenna delete. I listen to XM

Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356
    I've seen like mini 2" antennas before. My covers always wear through there 1st so they could stick right through, and not have to fish an 18" antenna through the cover lol
    The UPR antenna delete does not wear a hole in the cover. I use the black one and it blends right in.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    you could just take a dremel or grinder and chop off the tube of the stock antenna, smooth it out and rattle can the stub black...

I cut the stock antenna's down to about 6" on my mustangs and just touched them up with paint, looks a lot better than the stock mast and the radio still works fine even on AM, but like the others here I really only listen to my iphone or sirius.

Name: R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Here's what I have. I like it.

UPR Antenna Delete
    Have any pics of this installed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast