Thread: N@@b

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

N@@b

Hey guys I am a NOOB to any sort of "detailing" I mean I have washed cars before just never took the time or effort on my past cars to care mush about the more detaily parts. I have read some posts and seem to get lost with acronyms and/or names. I have a couple basic questions to ask;

What is the 2 bucket method?

I am looking for just a good general wash/wax/polish for the body/tires/wheels to keep the tuck looking good, doesn't have to be show room so I don't want to spend a ton on the best. That being said what do you recommend?

thanks in advance :-)

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    2 bucket method is just using one bucket with soapy water to wet your wash mit, and a 2nd bucket with just water to rinse the mit in after you wash a panel. the theory behind it is the dirt falls off the mit in the dirty bucket, and not contaminating your clean soapy water bucket. Honesty I've never used the 2 bucket method, even overkill for me lol, I just don't let the mit go to the bottom of the bucket where the dirt settles.

If you just want a quick wax to keep it shiny, anything will pretty much do. Meguiars, Mothers, Turtle Wax, etc. etc. BUT, the more expensive products, and synthetic products, while they're a bit more expensive, they also last longer, so in turn you don't need to wax as often. Zaino is one of the top, and it may seem pricey at first, but the results are incredible, and the synthetics last a looooong time. I only zaino my trucks twice a year and it really lasts. Some cheaper waxes from the store will only last 2-4 weeks.

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
    Name: ]\/[ike

Liked 165 Times in 135 Posts
    Zaino is an excellent LSP (Last Step Product). Oh Boy, another acronym!

Zaino Z-2 for light color paint or Z-5 for dark paint. If you have a good finish it will give you a real nice long lasting shine. Two coats of Z-5 then two coats of Z-2 on dark paint looks GREAT!

The first time I used Zaino it made my swirls mark really shiny!

I since have learned "The key to a great finish is the PREP work."

PREP is NOT something you need to do all the time. Once the PREP work is done you should only need to do maintenance. Maintenance includes a weekly hand wash (Zaino has a GREAT car wash), dressings etc.

Can you see scratches or swirl marks in direct sunlight or under artificial light?

Put your hand in a baggie or cellophane wrap and lightly wipe your paint.
    Can you feel grit?

BTW - I also like Collonite Super Doublecoat Auto Wax (No. 476s) for an inexpensive really long lasting wax with a great shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    2 bucket method is just using one bucket with soapy water to wet your wash mitt, and a 2nd bucket with just water to rinse the mitt in after you wash a panel.
    +1

I use a good wool mitt and a "grit guard" in the bottom of both buckets.
    This addition keeps the dirt in the bucket so you don't get scratches on your paint.

I also like the Mr. Clean Auto-Dry "NO Bucket" method.

Wool mitt in one hand and Mr. Clean Auto-Dry in the other.

After a wash and a rinse, I use a leaf blower and MF (MicroFiber - yet another acroynm ) towels to dry.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I couldn't stand the mr clean auto dry. biggest piece of junk I ever used. Yeah it'll spray some soapy water on for you, but for the auto-dry part, it sucked. It mists out some filtered water, but by the time you sit there and wait for it to "sprinkle" on the panel and run the unfiltered water off, you've already got water spots dried on it. Quicker & easier to just do it conventionally and dry it with a waffle weave, and no clunky sprayer either lol

I returned mine after the first use.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    ..it'll spray some soapy water on for you, but for the auto-dry part, it sucked. It mists out some filtered water...
    For the record...for washing the truck I use the two bucket method.

I agree with Harley#356 regarding the Mr. Clean "Auto-Dry/sprinkle" feature.
    The truck has a lot of surface area and this feature did not perform good on the truck.

When I use the Mr. Clean Auto-Dry handle on the truck...
    I use it for a "NO Bucket" wash method.

Using the Mr. Clean Auto-Dry handle...

Rinse Truck
    Spray Soapy water on Truck
    Spray Soapy water on mitt.
    Wash truck w/soapy mitt
    Rinse truck w/clean water
    Rinse mitt w/clean water
    Repeat until done.

The same two bucket process without the two buckets.

Ok, you got me...I like the Mr. Clean Auto-Dry handle!
    I use the handle because it is self contained and convenient.
    Water on and off, soap and rinse all in one handle and NO Buckets.

BTW - I believe the Mr. Clean Auto-Dry Kits have been discontinued.
    You may be able to pick one up (if you can find one) for about $5.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks for the info guys, and for the record acronyms don't bother me as long as I know what they mean :-) I am in the military after all....USAF, SSGT, AFSC: 2A571

Quote Originally Posted by afguy2082 View Post
    for the record acronyms don't bother me as long as I know what they mean :-) I am in the military after all....USAF, SSGT, AFSC: 2A571
    Ok, you asked for it...

Detailing Acronyms:

It should be against the law to allow someone with OCD to own a black truck.