Thread: Just got trained on the new 6.7 diesel

Name: asdfasfasdf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got trained on the new 6.7 diesel

A little off topic here I guess but hope you guys find it interesting. I took the initial training on the new 6.7 so I can now take the in-class course for certification here at the dealer.

Lets just say it makes the 6.4 look like childs play. Complicated is an understatement and I see some potential areas for problems but we shall see. The new selective catalyst treatment converter added onto the DPF and DOC means a urea tank up front, a NOX sensor in the exhaust and an injector to add it to the exhaust stream. The new converter has a twist mixer which is literally an auger welded inside the converter to cause swirl and mix the urea with the NOX to convert it to N2. The urea tank holds 6 gallons at $11 a gallon and lasts 12,000kms so you fill the tank every oil change at your expense or the truck will go into forced idle mode when the urea tank is empty. You can over-ride the forced idle through the cluster on start-up a limited number of times before you will have to pay to tow it to the dealer because it wont drive anymore. I can just see kids at one of those rapid lube places adding washer fluid to the tank and if you think you can trick it, you cant. If the NOX sensor doesnt see a change in NOX after injection, the message center will say the fluid is contaminated. 2 cooling systems, 2 water pumps and coolers mounted on the frame rails and anywhere else you can imagine. I think its cool, I love complicated engines so this is right up my alley but on the retail side I cant imagine having to pay to repair it.

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Holy maintenance! I think I'll keep my 05.....

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    yepper 6.0 is staying in my driveway

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    pretty insane!

I'd love to own a new one of those diesel trucks, but how friggin complicated they all are now with all the new crap on them, it definitely scares me away lol. I'd hate to see repair bills for some of that stuff!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I will gladly keep my '09 w/6.8L V10.

When I had my '06 Harley F-250, I loved it overall, but I was always concerned about maintenance & reliability of the 6.0L. Given some of what I have read over on FTE regarding the 6.4L, I am very glad that I did not go that route.

It will be very interesting to see how the new 6.7L holds out. As much as I hate to say it, this could really hurt Ford's Super Duty image, if it does not go well. The Ford-fan in me says that they have done their homework & testing in coming up with this in-house diesel motor. I honestly & sincerely hope that is the case.

Newman: Keep us posted.

4X4 POWER-STROKEN
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have 18 of the 2011 6.7L in the order bank, preselling VERY WELL.
    Just No SD Harley for 2011..................... yet?
    randy

Name: asdfasfasdf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [QUOTE=HARLEY6LF250SDU;532601]I have 18 of the 2011 6.7L in the order bank, preselling VERY WELL.
    Just No SD Harley for 2011..................... yet?
    randy[/QUOTE

We have a bunch pre-sold as well. Im sure there will be some teething pains as with any new design but im confident Ford made it right because of how much is riding on it. Im scheduled for in-class training in April.