Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: its time for me to sit a little lower

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Hangars are a royal PITA! I'd highly recommend doing leafs over hangers. Install is 1000x's easier, price is a bit more, but you'll also improve handing with the leafs.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yea I have been looking at the belltech leafs. I want to get the stance to 16" front and 16" rear. I have been reading about the DJM srpings some and it seems they only give aboue 1.5" drop in the front. my front measures 17.5" now so 1.5" would get me to 16"

The leafs are a 3"drop so since I have the belltech shackles right now that would put me at 15" in the rear which I think is a little to lower. can I move to the second hole on the belltech shackles to pick it up about 1"

also somebody quoted early that my shackels were on backwards from the standard way of installing them, I am wondering if that is a problem? does it affect handling or drop?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well tax check came earlyer than expected

this weekend i'll probally order belltech leafs, new bump stops, camber bolts, and clunk washers
    I think it is JLP who sells the clunk washers?
    I'm not so sure where to get the camber bolts from though I have been readering that you get them from the dealership?? or maybe Mike at riverside (I think thats where he is.. I have his number from when I ordered my fogs) can get them for us??
    Also I have seem quite a few different bump stops used front and rear, I was wondering if any are better than others or what is the main brand people are using??

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by batrup99jeremy View Post
    yea I have been looking at the belltech leafs. I want to get the stance to 16" front and 16" rear. I have been reading about the DJM srpings some and it seems they only give aboue 1.5" drop in the front. my front measures 17.5" now so 1.5" would get me to 16"

The leafs are a 3"drop so since I have the belltech shackles right now that would put me at 15" in the rear which I think is a little to lower. can I move to the second hole on the belltech shackles to pick it up about 1"

also somebody quoted early that my shackels were on backwards from the standard way of installing them, I am wondering if that is a problem? does it affect handling or drop?
    Belltech leafs will not recognize a full 3". Belltech shackles need to be installed with the "U-channel" facing forward in order to accommodate the larger diameter of the spring-eye associated with drop leafs. Your Belltech shackles will need to have a bit grinded/taken-off the upper-most part of the "U" section to fit lowering leafs (of any mfg ... Belltech, Hotchkis, glass, etc). There is a thread here somewhere where it was discussed ... I think Hoff posted some pics of the spring-eye fitment issue. I will try to find it for you.

Belltech leafs with Belltech shackles set at 1" will net you a gnat's-arse over 3.75". Again, you will need to minor-mod the Belltech shackles to accommodate the fit of the Belltech leaf-eye at the 1" shackle setting.
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 02-23-2010 at 03:56 AM.

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My center wheel to bottom flare measurements are: 15.5" Front and 16.5" Rear.

My drop components are:

Belltech 1-2" PRO Coil Spring Set, P/N BEL23804
    Belltech 3" Rear Drop Leaf Springs , P/N BEL5986
    Belltech Shock Extensions, P/N BEL6657
    ------------------------------------------------
    Installed Sulastic Rubber Springs instead of standard type shackles. Added these too reduce bed bounce & harshness. These added approx a 1/4-1/2" additional drop.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 03_HD_F150SC View Post
    My center wheel to bottom flare measurements are: 15.5" Front and 16.5" Rear.

My drop components are:

Belltech 1-2" PRO Coil Spring Set, P/N BEL23804
    Belltech 3" Rear Drop Leaf Springs , P/N BEL5986
    Belltech Shock Extensions, P/N BEL6657
    ------------------------------------------------
    Installed Sulastic Rubber Springs instead of standard type shackles. Added these too reduce bed bounce & harshness. These added approx a 1/4-1/2" additional drop.
    There you go, Batrup!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 H-D #677 View Post
    Belltech leafs will not recognize a full 3". Belltech shackles need to be installed with the "U-channel" facing forward in order to accommodate the larger diameter of the spring-eye associated with drop leafs. Your Belltech shackles will need to have a bit grinded/taken-off the upper-most part of the "U" section to fit lowering leafs (of any mfg ... Belltech, Hotchkis, glass, etc). There is a thread here somewhere where it was discussed ... I think Hoff posted some pics of the spring-eye fitment issue. I will try to find it for you.

Belltech leafs with Belltech shackles set at 1" will net you a gnat's-arse over 3.75". Again, you will need to minor-mod the Belltech shackles to accommodate the fit of the Belltech leaf-eye at the 1" shackle setting.

Very curious about what and how much needs to be taken off the shackles??

Also about the belltech leafs I was pretty sure I read on here that they give a 4"drop on 03 models and a 3" on 02 models..

please correct me if i'm wrong, but to set my belltech shackles to a 1" setting I would just move them up 1 hole?? Or if the leafs give me a 4" drop I might be looking for a set of stock shackles....

Also does anybody know the exact drop of DJM springs for our truck?? I have read a few different opinions?
    Thanks Jeremy

Also to add to my want list will be a set of shock extensions

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    another question... why do the shock extensions cause wheel hop?? is it a bad idea to add the extensions without traction bars?? Thanks again!!

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If going with shackles and the Belltech 3"-4" Drop Leafs, I would use the OEM ones.

Also about the belltech leafs I was pretty sure I read on here that they give a 4"drop on 03 models and a 3" on 02 models..
    Agree with ya on the 03's and here's results after an 02 install...http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/suspens...lled-pics.html

please correct me if i'm wrong, but to set my belltech shackles to a 1" setting I would just move them up 1 hole?? Or if the leafs give me a 4" drop I might be looking for a set of stock shackles....
    I wouldn't use the drop shackles with the drop leafs, unless I C Notched the frame.

Also does anybody know the exact drop of DJM springs for our truck?? I have read a few different opinions?

Thanks Jeremy

another question... why do the shock extensions cause wheel hop?? is it a bad idea to add the extensions without traction bars?? Thanks again!!
    Shock Extenders don't really cause wheel hop. You're probably thinking about the post where wheel hop would be caused when the individual repositioned the right side shock to the back of the rear axel when he installed his shock extenders. That can cause wheel hop or axle wrap under hard acceleration with no traction bars installed, because the excessive torque will cause the axle to twist. The standard set up with shocks mounted on opposite sides of the axle causes opposing forces to the exerted on the axle and prevents axle wrap and wheel hop.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 03_HD_F150SC View Post
    Shock Extenders don't really cause wheel hop. You're probably thinking about the post where wheel hop would be caused when the individual repositioned the right side shock to the back of the rear axel when he installed his shock extenders. That can cause wheel hop or axle wrap under hard acceleration with no traction bars installed, because the excessive torque will cause the axle to twist. The standard set up with shocks mounted on opposite sides of the axle causes opposing forces to the exerted on the axle and prevents axle wrap and wheel hop.
    OK yes I see what you are saying about the extenders, the shock was on the backside of the axle....

And I bought my truck used and it had the belltech shackles on it already so I do not have the oem shackles, thats why I was trying to raise them up some so I wouldn't have to much of a drop.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the link!!! I saw those pics earlyer today when I was looking at past trucks of the month!!
    Last edited by batrup99jeremy; 02-23-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks Jeremy

You just have to take off maybe 1/4" of the shackles at most. if you look at the shackle from the front or back, the one side is closed off, the other side is open (its like a C channel). Well the closed off side, at the top the metal is rounded. You need to grind the outer edges down so its squared off. Thats so the thicker drop leaf springs don't bind on the edge of the shackle when used in the 1" position.

Belltech leafs should lower the truck 3", and on 03's it should lower them 4" since the 03's sit 1" higher in the rear from the leafs.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah, sorry. I was thinkin' about '02. Went brain-dead not thinkin' about the fact you have '03.

I found that pic that Hoffie posted up regarding the Belltech shackle fitment issue.

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/suspens...s-leafs-4.html

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thats for the info guys!! cutting the shackles seems simple enough, even though since I plan on getting the leafs I might be needing stock shackels (which I don't have) I am a pretty conserative driver so i'm hoping to get away with just good short bumpstops and no c-notch... at least not right now...

my list of wants just keeps adding.... new shocks for $180 sounds very temping.. I need to do some more reading on them though. I want to keep the nice stocklike ride... I drive the truck like a grandpaw now days..

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    You'll be fine with shorter bump-stops as a conservative driver. Any lower than 4" , then you might be concerned.

New shocks are NOT an option! They are a requirement.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    the stock shocks just have a floaty sloppy feel to them. You'd be amazed when you take them off how easy they compress. they offer barely any dampening.

Bilsteins are stiffer, but that doesn't mean a stiff ride. Your springs provide the main aspects of the ride stiffness, the shocks mostly provide the amount of dampening. So soft springs (stock) and stiffer shocks just means the truck evens out quicker when riding over bouncy roads, and feels less floaty since the harmonics are dampened out quicker. They firm up the ride a bit just from not having the bouncy/floaty feel, but not as in you get jolted going over bumps.

Screw spec bilsteins are softer so they're the minimum you want to go with. L spec bilsteins are stiffer so if you really want to get rid of the wishy-washyness, they're the route to go. You won't be disappointed!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast