Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: its time for me to sit a little lower

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    yeah fwiw, our trucks come with a heavy duty front sway bar, and then no rear at all! Kind of stupid on ford's part. i would have rather of had regular duty sway bars front and rear, than a heavy duty front and no rear at all

They're a big help, and not that bad on the wallet. Just sometimes a PITA of an install lol

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    yeah fwiw, our trucks come with a heavy duty front sway bar, and then no rear at all! Kind of stupid on ford's part. i would have rather of had regular duty sway bars front and rear, than a heavy duty front and no rear at all

They're a big help, and not that bad on the wallet. Just sometimes a PITA of an install lol
    The weekend did not permit me to have time to pull the isolators out or lower the shackle to the 2" setting, but I did get an alignment Monday morning and truck is riding great! I'm going to keep my eyes open for sway bar, shocks, and a pot of gold....

Thanks again for all the help!!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you do realize you'll need another alignment after you pull the isolators out right? lol just making sure because once you pull those it'll change the camber.

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    fwiw, springs do settle after they are installed, I'm not sure how much on these trucks, but every time I swap springs onto my mustangs it takes about a month of driving for them to settle to their final ride height, about 1/4 - 1/2" usually.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you do realize you'll need another alignment after you pull the isolators out right? lol just making sure because once you pull those it'll change the camber.
    yea I know i'm just going to leave it as is now.

they front settled about an 1 within the first few days and hasn't changed anymore since.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Have guys I have a question about towing.. I know josh plans on towing his other truck and has a moderate drop. my question is with the drop i have do you think it would be a problem for me to tow a 18' to 20' ski boat? it is a single axle trailer. (my drop is belltech leafs with belltech shackles set on 1" setting.)

2002 HD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 03_HD_F150SC View Post
    My center wheel to bottom flare measurements are: 15.5" Front and 16.5" Rear.

My drop components are:

Belltech 1-2" PRO Coil Spring Set, P/N BEL23804
    Belltech 3" Rear Drop Leaf Springs , P/N BEL5986
    Belltech Shock Extensions, P/N BEL6657
    ------------------------------------------------
    Installed Sulastic Rubber Springs instead of standard type shackles. Added these too reduce bed bounce & harshness. These added approx a 1/4-1/2" additional drop.
    will these parts work for my 2002?i herd there is a height difference in the rear from 2003 to 2002
    iam in the mids of ordering lowering components?
    i just want a mild drop, make the truck sit level, and still be able to tow. also i do beat on my truck pretty hard, i dont want to qorry about wheel hop.
    i was initally thinking just jlp drop shackles?

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yes, they will work on all HD's. However, you will only get a 3" rear drop with the Belltech drop leaf springs, because 00-02 models were an inch lower than 03's due to a different size in their leaf spring packs. You could also use the less costly JLP 2-3-4" drop shackles to get it to set level. Towing wouldn't be an issue with either of those lowering methods. To avoid wheel hop, you will need a set of traction bars regardless of whether you lower it or not. You might also consider adding a Drive Shaft Loop if you plan to use traction bars and slicks.

2002 HD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    so i guess if i just went with the jlp shackles, i could get the truck to sit pretty close to level?

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Should be very close, with some rake. Take a look at Blu By U's write-up on his switch from JLP's to BT drop leafs, he says he gained an additional 1/2" with the leafs. http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/suspens...lled-pics.html, from 17.5" to 17". So you pretty much have to make the decision if the additional half inch in drop height is worth the cost diff for leafs. For me with an 03 model the switch was easier decision, because the additional inch gained was far more visible.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by batrup99jeremy View Post
    Have guys I have a question about towing.. I know josh plans on towing his other truck and has a moderate drop. my question is with the drop i have do you think it would be a problem for me to tow a 18' to 20' ski boat? it is a single axle trailer. (my drop is belltech leafs with belltech shackles set on 1" setting.)
    Search the towing threads. You would do well by investing in a load-leveler hitch set-up with an anti-sway brake (especially for a single axle trailer) and AirLift help bags for towing. These trucks are not really "prime haulers" but do OK in a pinch. If you have TB's, make sure to disconnect them when you tow.
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 05-10-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    also, what size tires are on there? 40 series? Putting a 295/45/20 tire on there will really fill up the wheel wells more giving the truck not only a lower appearance visually, but a better ride too.

well I had a blowout this evening heading home on the interstate, in the rain... well I got wet but got the spare on, but now I need a new tire well 2 tires or maybe 4 I have not decided yet..

My question is if i decide to go with 295/45 will I have any rubbing issues? My truck sits 16.5 up front and 16.5 in the rear as well. I am going with the hankook ventus st tires.

Right now I have hankook ventus st 275/40/20 and the 2 on the rear are just under a year old. So another potenital question I have is what if I get (2) 295/45 and put on the rear and put the 2 good 275/40 on the front?? I know some guys on here run bigger tires in the rear.

Thanks guys

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    the staggered setup would workout fine, you just can't rotate.

295/45's only rub up front if you have a 2" drop, but you can trim the fender flares on the inner edge, you can't see it at all from the outside, and it'll fix the rubbing issue.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4