Thread: What can I do?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What can I do?

my 07 HD is in storage and the battery which is a redtop Optima keeps dying. I have someone go start it up and drive it around every week or 2 but sometimes they have to jump start it. There is no outlet in the storage so i can't use a trickle charger.....Any other options? I don't wanna unplug the battery or anything like that. If i have to keep it the way it is i will but i'm just trying to make something better

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I wonder how good the Solar chargers are? Put a solar panel on the roof of the unit and run the wires down and into your unit to plug into your truck.?.?

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    why not just disconnect the battery? Its one 8mm bolt on the clamp to remove the terminal off it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the solar panels sounds pretty extreme and it's a ustorage place where they don't even like us using the power outlets outside let alone put solar panels. And for disconnecting the battery I like having the alarm on just in case

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcfirefighter View Post
    the solar panels sounds pretty extreme and it's a ustorage place where they don't even like us using the power outlets outside let alone put solar panels. And for disconnecting the battery I like having the alarm on just in case
    The alarm is what is probably draining the battery, is it theft or break in that you are worried about? If it is theft of the vehicle then use a race type isolator to disconnect the battery, you could probably hide it somewhere under the hood, just keep the wires as short as possible.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You can't have too much power, just a lack of traction!
    2007 AWD Roush HD

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    should i replace the red top that i have now with a yellow? I have no idea what a race type isolator is

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Nah, I have the Optima Yellow top and my alarm kills it in a month if I don't drive it.

The race type isolater will turn off all battery power so your alarm won't work either.

You have a tough choice with no power outlets there (so you can't run a battery tender to trickle charge) and wanting to keep your alarm on too (so you can't disconnect all power).

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    with the red top i have now we are talking days before the battery is dead. If the yellow top could go 2 weeks then i'm in business. I have someone going and starting up my car about twice a week right now which is a pain. Once a week would be much better

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you can do a dual battery setup

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcfirefighter View Post
    with the red top i have now we are talking days before the battery is dead. If the yellow top could go 2 weeks then i'm in business. I have someone going and starting up my car about twice a week right now which is a pain. Once a week would be much better
    I think you may need to get your battery checked, it should not go flat in a couple of days if it is fully charged when the vehicle goes in to storage. Are you doing short journeys? It takes a good few miles to put back in what the starter takes out, especially if you are running with lights, heater, wipers etc. If you can check what the voltage is before you leave the truck, with the ignition turned off for a few minutes to let the voltage stabilise. Then read this link, it may help
    Diagnosing A Car Battery That Runs Down

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    blue tops last longer than yellow tops, but if the car is in storage I would suggest unplugging the battery, horrible way to treat a car though, cars are meant to be driven