Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need help with leveling truck under heavy tow loads

Name: henry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

need help with leveling truck under heavy tow loads

I have the 2" lowering shackles on the back to level the truck off, but when i tow the truck sits really off balance with the back almost touching the ground and the front looking at the sky, i want to keep my leveled look while driving daily but under towing I want it to be level also, has anybody had this problem and what do you recomend to fix it, i was thinking about going with a air lift setup but not sure. thanks for your help in advance

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd use either air bags or one of these. I use the hitch system, it helps with load and sway
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name: Mat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Air Bag the suspension. I have tried numerous leveling and helper setups. So far the only 2 I liked were the Weight Distribution setup like above and Air Bags which I recently installed. I like the Air Bags the best of all personally. I regularly tow my Mustang on a trailer long distances. I have had no issues towing with the Air Bags where as the weight distribution setup was large complicated and took up alot of space when not being used.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdan575 View Post
    Air Bag the suspension. I have tried numerous leveling and helper setups. So far the only 2 I liked were the Weight Distribution setup like above and Air Bags which I recently installed. I like the Air Bags the best of all personally. I regularly tow my Mustang on a trailer long distances. I have had no issues towing with the Air Bags where as the weight distribution setup was large complicated and took up alot of space when not being used.
    what set up do have? do you stay level while loaded? how many lbs of air do you have to add to level your truck undera load thanks a million,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    also will my 2" lowering shackles have to be removed or will they be affected bad by the set up thanks

Name: Mat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No I installed the Air Lift setup a couple months ago on mine and I have the Ford Racing Lowering kit on my truck that lowered it. Shackles and springs up front. Just be prepared to mount it as high as possible on the frame. When you get the kit you will see what I mean. Big picture to me it was an easy install with little or no issues. The bags will raise the rear end up a smidge though from keeping the minimum safe air amount in the bags but they fit great. The picture was recently after I installed the bags. Sets nice and level and drove well. Thats after driving from north of Knoxville down to Huntsville, AL. I had the bags at about 55psi that day
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow!! thats exactly the look im looking for with a load, thanks and you used the airlift brand kit. thanks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No I installed the Air Lift setup a couple months ago on mine and I have the Ford Racing Lowering kit on my truck that lowered it. Shackles and springs up front. Just be prepared to mount it as high as possible on the frame. When you get the kit you will see what I mean. Big picture to me it was an easy install with little or no issues. The bags will raise the rear end up a smidge though from keeping the minimum safe air amount in the bags but they fit great. The picture was recently after I installed the bags. Sets nice and level and drove well. Thats after driving from north of Knoxville down to Huntsville, AL. I had the bags at about 55psi that day
    could you tell it was lifted a little in the back because of the bags having to keep min pressure or did it still look level

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have the entire load-leveler hitch set-up as well as the AirLift "Slam Air" helper bags. Tows like nothing is even back there!

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    ^^^^Was there any noticeable increases in MPG with that set up?

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I assume you mean "MPG" = Miles Per Gutt/Butt-bouncing? ... ABSOLUTELY improved!!

Miles Per Ground-sway? ... x's a zillion benefit!!

Miles Per Gallon = uniformly Much Pain up the Gazoo!
    Last edited by '02 H-D #677; 04-22-2010 at 01:34 PM.

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 H-D #677 View Post
    .....Miles Per Gallon = uniformly Much Pain up the Gazoo!

Yea, that's my towing experience too! Thought maybe you had found some holy grail combination.

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    What kind of MPG do you get while Towing?
    Towing our boat, about 5500 lbs I get 9 maybe 10. What do you all get?
    Troy - 2002 DSG #09850. 378 HP, 465 TQ

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I tow a 5X8 Haulmark brick with my bike and gear it's about 1700lbs and another 200 or so pounds in the bed. I usually average about 10-11 MPG w/o air, with air about 9 MPG @ 60-65 MPH. Usually towing through hilly terrain too.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    You guys are very good/economical towing-types for sure! I feel good when I realize that kind of mileage with just a bike trailer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast