Thread: pinion angle

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

pinion angle

I have done the search thing and I am still confused. The specs that that are posted are, from what I assume for the later 2003 and below. On my 08 HARLEY I have done the belltech 2" drop and removed the spring blocks. REAR IS STILL A LITTLE HIGH BUT MY CONFUSION IS IN THE MEASURING OF THE PINION ANGLE. Done the search thing and still not quite sure on the 08 S/C HARLEY. I have a noise under heavy torque and it has gotten worst after the removal of the blocks. Nothing under normal hwy speeds and nothing getting in to passing gear . Only on dead nailing or rolling stomps. No steering vibrations, shimmy or shack just the torque noise. Measured the drive shaft angle which was 2.80 deg. down. Rear pinion is .200 of a deg down. The way I see it that the pinion angle is:

D/S = 2.80 down
    PINION - .200 down
    TOTAL = 2.60

Measured the crank and it is @ 4.7 deg down in the rear. These measurements were taken with a digital level. I have order a set of 2 deg. shims and a set of 4 deg. shims. Don't know why I ORDERED THE 4 DEG. CAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE THE 2 DEG WILL PUT ME CLOSE. HELP!!! Just confused. NEED THE HELP FROM THOSE THAT HAVE GONE THRU THIS!!!!
    Would like to get this straight because I am pulling the 4.10 gears out and putting the 4.56 gears in and a new tune and the idler set up. Correct me!!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No answer

CAN'T BELEIVE WITH ALL THE MOTOR HEADS HERE, NO ONE HAS AN ANSWER

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I can try to help with the pinion angles as I play with 4x4's....alot, but I am unfamiliar with the newer style Harley set ups. Do you still have a 2 piece driveshaft?? Some pics would really help.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The 08 has the single drive shaft. Put the belltech 2" drop on when I got the truck and later removed the spring blocks. Just not sure if I am measuring it right. Thanks for the reply. Summit said the 2 deg. shim should put it close. Just not sure of their prediction. I know these models have had some problems from the factory with incorrect pinion angle.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Exclamation Got it

Here is a good explanation of the setting the pinion angle:

2QuickNovas.com - Setting Pinion Angle

By this article I was wrong on the angle of the drive shaft due to it is really angled up and the rear was down just a bit. Put the 2 deg. wedge in with the fat side toward the front of the spring. Checked the angle of both rear pinion and drive shaft and by this article I am just around 5.5 deg. Test drove the Harley and no noise or vibration. CASE CLOSED!!!! NOW FOR THE GEAR CHANGE!!!!!

BACKIN BLACK

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    awesome glad it worked out.