Thread: Addco HD Rear Sway Bar Install

Name: Mat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Addco HD Rear Sway Bar Install

Ok so I finished the Addco Rear Sway Bar install. It is a cheap kit and you can tell that but it works good. Plain Powder Coated finish please don't mind the scratches(there were none when I got it) when I work on things I tend to be like a bull in a china shop some times. Half Assedly I tried to first install it without extending the axle down to get it in easy. My fault, gonna tag it with some Satin Black to make it pretty again. But for the price I really can't complain at all. It installed relatively easy probably about the same as the Helwig does but even cheaper. I included pictures those don't show the End Links I installed this morning. I will included the positives and negatives so everyone can make there own decision. But I will say after installing and driving the truck it was money well spent and there is no doubt in my mind it was 100% worth it. So on to the info.

Positives:

CHEAP $159 Shipped on Ebay for Addco Part# 643
    -Polyurethane Bushings
    -Faces Forward
    -Fits well with JLP Traction Bars
    -Fits well with L Exit Bassani 54154H4 Cat-Back
    -Marginally Larger than the stock L Bar so it should be a good match for our front sway bar
    -Forward design won't interfere with my plans for a rear end girdle in the future
    -Relatively quick install
    -Good amount of clearance over the hogs head

Negatives:

-Somewhat Universal Mounting hardware but it worked well
    -End Links Are way to long for our trucks lowered (I expected/planned for that)
    I got a set of Energy Suspension 9.8125R at Autozone which are close
    -Needs at least one Self Tapping Bolt (not included in the kit)
    The Passenger side endlink top mount is boxed in
    -Be careful of the brake lines the U-Bolts will pinch them, make sure to lift them up so they are over the U-Bolts(instructions don't warn about that)
    -Directions are in Black and white and they suck I recommend looking at Tim Skeltons site for an easy install being it is like the Hellwig
    -It is close to the forward facing shock on the passenger side but it mounted fine(bout a 1/2") and if you go to the side exit exhaust it wont matter anyway because that shock can be rear mounted after

I put jack stands under the frame and extended the axle down a good ways so it slid right in(the second time), after a little jockeying for position it bolted right up then a mallet to tap it into place. After I got it roughly positioned I dropped the truck back down so it was setting on its wheels again and locked it in place. The instructions don't say this. I recommend using a mini square to make sure you have it positioned the same on both sides. Set it level and measure from the bar to the frame to get it in the same position on both sides.

Total at the end of the day was $180 with the Energy Suspension End Links to level the bar. Driving the truck is nice it drives well. Cheaper than any option I could find for a new bar. I searched for weeks for a used L bar but couldn't come up with one. Me I think it was well worth it, but as any one who has installed a rear bar on our trucks knows it makes a nice difference no matter what. Hopefully though this will clear up any questions people have and give everyone a new option to look at for the rear sway bar issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mdan575; 05-17-2010 at 04:42 PM.