Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rear sway bar options

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by havinnoj View Post
    So what size/length bolts do you need when you're lowered this far with the Hellwigs? How's the install with this kit? Anything need to be moved/re-routed (brake lines, exhaust hangers)?
    Ryan, from his Addco "How-To", it appears to be an identical install to the Helwig install except a little more simple to get the bar up/over the pumpkin based on the Addco "bend configuration". Josh put-up a very comprehensive "How-To" a long time ago when he first installed the Helwig on Hyde. Regardless of whether you install this bar or the Helwig, you will need to get substantially shorter end-links to get the bar level. When the Helwig was still on Hyde, I'm certain that Josh just changed-out the end-links with appropriate length Grade 8 bolts to get it almost level. I'm sure he will chime in here regarding the issue. I'm pretty certain you could do the same thing with the Addco bar.

I had the Helwig also when they first came out ('01 or '02 ... don't remember) and there was a GB on them here. They were such crap at that time that I simply gave it away and got an L bar. I do know of an donor L in a wrecking yard in Vancouver WA that you you might drive up and check out. I will email you a link.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    on my hellwig when I had it on hyde, with a 4.5" rear drop I deleted the endlink spacer completely. It was just endlink bushings back to back. On Jekyll with a 3" rear drop I've just got like 2" spacers on the endlinks between the bushings. Best bet just install the bar, make the ends level, and measure the length of the endlinks you need. Cut the hellwig spacer to size, and pickup a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store for that length.

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    ....Best bet just install the bar, make the ends level, and measure the length of the endlinks you need. Cut the hellwig spacer to size, and pickup a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store for that length.
    Bingo! Exactly how I did mine.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 03_HD_F150SC View Post
    Also have Belltech Drop Leafs and have a Hellwig that's mounted from underneath the differentia as opposed to over the top. The Hellwig bar is actually stiffer that the L and Hotchkis bars.
    Do you got any pics of it mounted underneath??

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Sorry, I didn't take any. When I first installed it I had a 3" drop with JLP Shackles and mounted it in the over the diff position. When I switched to the Belltech Drop Leafs I decided to mount it underneath, it was a much easier install with the 4" rear drop.

Name: R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 H-D #677 View Post
    Ryan, from his Addco "How-To", it appears to be an identical install to the Helwig install except a little more simple to get the bar up/over the pumpkin based on the Addco "bend configuration". Josh put-up a very comprehensive "How-To" a long time ago when he first installed the Helwig on Hyde. Regardless of whether you install this bar or the Helwig, you will need to get substantially shorter end-links to get the bar level. When the Helwig was still on Hyde, I'm certain that Josh just changed-out the end-links with appropriate length Grade 8 bolts to get it almost level. I'm sure he will chime in here regarding the issue. I'm pretty certain you could do the same thing with the Addco bar.

I had the Helwig also when they first came out ('01 or '02 ... don't remember) and there was a GB on them here. They were such crap at that time that I simply gave it away and got an L bar. I do know of an donor L in a wrecking yard in Vancouver WA that you you might drive up and check out. I will email you a link.
    Lee - thanks and thank again!

Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356
    on my hellwig when I had it on hyde, with a 4.5" rear drop I deleted the endlink spacer completely. It was just endlink bushings back to back. On Jekyll with a 3" rear drop I've just got like 2" spacers on the endlinks between the bushings. Best bet just install the bar, make the ends level, and measure the length of the endlinks you need. Cut the hellwig spacer to size, and pickup a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store for that length.
    That sounds good. I have BT leafs sitting in my garage ready to go on the 03. So with a 4" drop it's better to install on the underside?

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I would do it on the underside. Jekyll's 3" in the rear and its a tight fit. Hyde was 4.5" and that bar was so squeezed in there, if it were moved the slightest bit it would have hit something lol

Name: R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    I would do it on the underside. Jekyll's 3" in the rear and its a tight fit. Hyde was 4.5" and that bar was so squeezed in there, if it were moved the slightest bit it would have hit something lol
    Lol okay and when you mount on the underside, you don't have to do anything with moving brake lines, correct? Everything should still mount up well?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    how about the belltech anti-sway bar?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2