Thread: Lost in suspension

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lost in suspension

I've been searching this site trying to find information on an COMPLETE suspension lowering kit for my 03 Harley. I would like to lower the front 2" and the rear 3". What I have found out is that Lightning suspension parts and 03 Harley parts are different correct? From my research I have concluded that Hotchkis TVS is the sheet but when I went to the Hotchkis web site, they dont show a complete kit for the 03 Harley... only Lightning.
    Do you all know of another similar company that sells a complete set with shocks, springs, leafs and all?
    Im willing to pay for a tried and proven suspension kit that'll save me allot of time and headaches... not like some of the horror stories I have read from some of you all here on this site... God bless you all! Lol

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    To get the 2/3 drop you want, you're better off buying your shocks and lowering components separately. TVS doesn't have an off-the-shelf kit that will give you the 2/3 drop you want, think their kit is like 1.50" front and 2.5" rear. You could cut their front springs or remove the stock rubber isolators that would give you about a 1/2" more drop up front, and use 1" drop shackles with their rear leafs to get the 3" rear drop.

A set of L spec Bilstein all four corners will take care of the shocks, they're the overall favorite. You have to decide if you want to lower the front with drop spindles, coil springs or control arms. Since you only want a 3" rear drop, a set of JLP 2-3-4" drop shackles set on their lowest will give a 3" drop. You still need to add a set of Shock Extenders and a Sway Bar for the rear.

My 03 has a 2/4 drop with Belltech Pro Drop Coil Springs front and Belltech's 3-4" Drop Leafs in the rear.
    Last edited by 03_HD_F150SC; 04-29-2010 at 11:56 PM.

#09975, Michigan, Built:05/08/2003,
    Black, NHTOC #494, (Wes)
    22" Staggered Tire Club (STC)
    “the old horse is getting even with me for the sins of my youth.”

Mods: 2.93" Non-Slip Upper & 5lb Lower Pulleys, MP Bracket w/90MM Dbl Bearing Idlers,
    K&N FIPK2 CAI, L&S Oil Separator, F-250 Tranny Cooler w/B&M Remote Filter Kit and
    Moroso Trans Pan. MagnaFlow's "L" Exit Cat-Back, Belltech Pro Sport 1"-2" Drop Coils
    on 2", Belltech 3" - 4" Drop Leaf Springs, Sulastic Rubber Springs, “L” Spec Bilstein’s Front
    & HPS 1000 Shocks Rear. 22" Detroit Replica Wheels w/Toyo Proxes S/T 285/35's Front &
    305/40's Rear. Fire & Ice 12" LED, Colgan Custom Harley Truck Bra and AMI Locking Fuel
    Door. AeroForce Interceptor OBDII and Innovate MotorSport WideBand Guages.
    382 RWHP / 496 RWTQ
    The End...ya think??

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OOOOHH.... the drop on your truck is sweeet! Thats the look I'm after but with the stock 20's. I want no gap between the fenders and the tires on all four corners.
    By the way, did your truck feel slower, or did you feel less power when you slapped on those 22" replicas? that's the only thing that is holding me back on putting 22's on mine; the fear of it feeling slower/heavier

Thanks

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks for the complement.
    Here's a pic of mine with same drop but the OEM wheels and tires. As you can see a bit more air between rear tires and fender. The 22's in the rear have a lot less and look better because I'm running wider and taller tires, 305/40's. Actually, the 22" repos weigh less than the OEM 20's. Know I'd make a bit more power if I weren't running 22's, but I didn't feel any loss because I switched to a 5lb lower and 2.93" upper pulley's with an aux idler setup and a re-tune after the wheel and tire upgrade. Just not getting all the benefits of the performance upgrades due to the larger rotating mass....but she's no slouch in her high heel shoes!

Stock Wheels & Tires

Front: 285/35/22.......Rear: 305/40/22
    Last edited by 03_HD_F150SC; 04-30-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [QUOTE=03_HD_F150SC;539425]Thanks for the complement.
    Here's a pic of mine with same drop but the OEM wheels and tires. As you can see a bit more air between rear tires and fender. The 22's in the rear have a lot less and look better because I'm running wider and taller tires, 305/40's. Actually, the 22" repos weigh less than the OEM 20's. Know I'd make a bit more power if I weren't running 22's, but I didn't feel any loss because I switched to a 5lb lower and 2.93" upper pulley's with an aux idler setup and a re-tune after the wheel and tire upgrade. Just not getting all the benefits of the performance upgrades due to the larger rotating mass....but she's no slouch in her high heel shoes!

HA HA HA....thanks allot for shining a light... I think im gonna go with 2" front coils and 3" rear leafs.

Thanks !

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Hotchkis no longer produces the TVS. When they did the TVS for an F150 it was TVS for an F150.

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    [QUOTE=Vistauto;539438]
    Quote Originally Posted by 03_HD_F150SC View Post
    ..... I think im gonna go with 2" front coils and 3" rear leafs.

Thanks !
    You will get a 4" drop with BT leafs, because our 03's were 1" higher than previous years due to Ford changing the size of the leaf packs.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Will these leaf springs work on my 03? it just says F150 but it doesnt specify regular cab or Screw.

Belltech Sport Trucks 5986 - Belltech Sport Trucks Lowering Multi-Pack Leaf Springs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yes they will work. They're the ones I have on my 03.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 03_HD_F150SC View Post
    Yes they will work. They're the ones I have on my 03.
    Thanks for the info... I could just imagine how much trial and error one would probably have to do without helpfull people like you guys.

Thanks

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 H-D #677 View Post
    Hotchkis no longer produces the TVS. When they did the TVS for an F150 it was TVS for an F150.
    +1

The TVS is one incredible suspension setup though...

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SCBQQSTN View Post
    The TVS is one incredible suspension setup
    For sure! ... best ever done for these old trucks!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    as he mentioned, the 22" reps actually weigh a few lbs less than the 20" OEM wheels. And most other aftermarket 22's weigh a decent amount less if they're foged aluminum and just polished without all the chrome plating.

Even with larger 22" rubbers the weight difference is all of maybe 5 to 8 lbs. I forgot what mine weighed, but my 285/35/22's weighed a tad less than my 295/45/20 combo, and my 305/40/22's weighed a tad more. LIke 2 lbs less up front and like 8 lbs more out back. Pretty much negligable when we're talking about 100 lbs for a wheel & tire anyway. Thats like never running more than 1/4 tank of gas in your tank because it slows you down too much