Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drop Pic Hellwig Swaybar Question

Name: R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drop Pic Hellwig Swaybar Question

The truck looks great. It still has a little rake in it and I'm thinking of putting drop shackles on it to drop the rear down an inch (maybe two) to get it level.

The sway bar is still angled forward - is it bad to not have it level? The guy that put it on didn't level it

Bumpstops and alignment are happening tomorrow. Anybody know the Energy part number?

First impressions - truck handles much better in turns, stiffer but not bad at all. L-spec bilsteins and BT coils in the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    as far as the rear sway tilted down, you might have to go to shorter endlinks. I dropped my 07 HD and the sway tilited ALOT, so I had the endlinks cut and rethreaded.

If you are going to drop the rear some more, your sway bar may tilt even further, so do the rear drop then re-measure how much shorter of an endlink you'll need.

as far as bump stops, your local Autozone, or Advance, Pepboys may have the generic ones....from 2 inch. to small 1 inch bumpstops down to the biscuit type ones...they'll all fit fine...

good luck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Do I get better performance by leveling it?

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have the Hellwig Rear Sway bar, Belltec Shock Extenders and JLP Drop Shackles and I do not have any issues.

Post a pic of your end links. I had to get a shorter set, but Hellwig sent them to me for free. Just tell them you have a HD edition.

It won't give better performance, but it will look more level.
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Leveling may take some stress off the end links and bushings as they appear to be at an angle.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When you tilt the axle sway bar bracket up, does you run into clearance issues with the frame? It looks like this could happen from the pictures.

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If you use shorter end link bolts and cut the spacers to match, why can't you just swivel the bar upward to a straighter angle. Just loosen the nuts on the axle bracket to do that.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 03_HD_F150SC View Post
    If you use shorter end link bolts and cut the spacers to match, why can't you just swivel the bar upward to a straighter angle. Just loosen the nuts on the axle bracket to do that.
    Ya that's how I'd go about doing it - do I need to jack the truck up for this?

If you look in the 3rd picture, you can see where the sway bracket attaches to the axle and when you rotate that upright, the U bolts stick out fairly far and was just wondering if you run into issues with frame clearance. Just dawned on me and I haven't been back out to look at it yet.

Alignment tomorrow!

MotorCity T-Sport
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Chock the front, then put the rear axle up on jack stands. You can also review Josh's "Rear Hellwig Install" article with pic's in the link below. http://http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/...mere-pics.html Once you get the best length for the end link hardware, then adjust for the best angle keeing the bar as parallel to the frame as possible.
    Last edited by 03_HD_F150SC; 05-03-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by havinnoj View Post
    When you tilt the axle sway bar bracket up, does you run into clearance issues with the frame? It looks like this could happen from the pictures.
    This is an issue? ... NOT!! Simply isolate the end of the bar from the chassis rail via shock-snubbers like Josh did ... simple!

BTW, I told you to install an L rear sway bar!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by '02 H-D #677 View Post
    This is an issue? ... NOT!! Simply isolate the end of the bar from the chassis rail via shock-snubbers like Josh did ... simple!

BTW, I told you to install an L rear sway bar!
    good point!

And you know I was parts shopping before I had the truck, so waiting for a L sway to pop up was.. Well.. I'm just too impatient!!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    the sway actually DOES work better with the bar ends level with the ground. With them angled the geometry is thrown off a bit from how it was intended to operate.

I ended up ditching my spacers completely on the endlinks and going right from bushings to bushings back to back. Worked just fine on my 4.5" rear drop combo I had.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    I ended up ditching my spacers completely on the endlinks and going right from bushings to bushings back to back. Worked just fine on my 4.5" rear drop combo I had.
    I might just try that and see how it lines up! Do I need to jack the truck to adjust the bar?

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you really want the truck sitting on the ground so the truck is level and so you can level the bar.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    you really want the truck sitting on the ground so the truck is level and so you can level the bar.
    Yep ... loaded suspension and leveled bar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast